9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2015 2:29 AM by Just Shoot Me

File can not be found after export

Reilly Diefenbach

I have not had this happen before.  Why did LR lose track of the exported pic?  There is an exclamation point on the preview in grid.

• 1. Re: File can not be found after export
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Because you exported it to a drive that is no longer connected to your system or that drive has gone to sleep or it has failed.

Please post a screen shot of the export dialog window so we can see what options you have chosen.

• 2. Re: File can not be found after export
            Reilly Diefenbach Level 1

The raw was imported from Drive E, (definitely on the system, not failed or gone to sleep) then exported after processing to Drive C to a folder on the desktop.Capture55.PNG

• 3. Re: File can not be found after export

Check the permissions on the folder you are trying to export to. If that folder wasn't created prior to trying to export to it maybe LR doesn't have permissions to create that folder.

Personally I never export to a folder on my desktop. What version of Windows are you using? If Windows 10 it is more restrictive what can and can't write to the username folder.

• 4. Re: File can not be found after export

I am not having the issue on my other computer.  Both are running Windows

10.  The destination folder was created well in advance.  There must be

some incorrect setting.  LR is exporting to the desktop folder with no

problem, but then loses the file (exclamation point) which is still showing

in low res but can't be edited.

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Shootistbond007 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: File can not be found after export
                  dj_paige Level 9

Let me make sure I am understanding you.

You export the photo, and you want the exported photo to appear in Lightroom. It does appear in Lightroom but with an exclamation point.

Is that correct?

Are you sure you are looking at the exported photo in Lightroom and not the original photo? Also, why would you want to further edit an exported photo, that really seems to be a workflow that is not recommended.

• 6. Re: File can not be found after export

*You export the photo, and you want the exported photo to appear in

Lightroom. It does appear in Lightroom but with an exclamation point.*

Is that correct?

Yes.  I want to reedit the original raw file, not the add jpg to this

catalog option, as I have done for years.

*Are you sure you are looking at the exported photo in Lightroom and not

the original photo? *

It would appear to be a low res preview which can not be edited.

*Also, why would you want to further edit an exported photo, that really

seems to be a workflow that is not recommended.*

That would seem to me to be a normal operation if one was not satisfied

with the first edited, exported jpg/tiff as shown in Photo viewer or other

software.  Back to Lightroom, reedit, export again.  I do not wish to have

to invoke LR simply to view an exported jpg from a folder on my desktop.

Let me explain that I've been with LR since version 3 and not had this

behavior before, nor does this exclamation point "no file found" business

happen on my other computer.  It seems as if I've stumped everyone so far.

Thanks for your efforts.

• 7. Re: File can not be found after export
                      ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like there is a bit of misunderstanding at the beginning of the thread.

From what you just said,

You export an edited file to JPG.

You look at the exported JPG in an image viewer and want to make more adjustments.

You want to make more edits to the original file (not the exported JPG).

LR seems to have lost the original file.

(This is not the interpretation of your statements from the beginning of the thread.)

• 8. Re: File can not be found after export

Okay, I should have titled the thread "File can not be found" in quotes, which is the warning I'm getting in LR after the file is exported.  I can find the exported jpg/tiff just fine.

• 9. Re: File can not be found after export

I'm going to bow out of this thread after this post.

Reilly your responses to questions and other statements about what is going on are, to me, quite confusing.

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I can find the exported jpg/tiff just fine.

Then where is the exported image file? In what folder and what is the path to it? In your first few posts it sounded like the file was completely Missing, Deleted, Removed from your system.

Try choosing some other path to export to. Like a folder created in the ROOT of the C drive or to some other drive on your system. If the file exports fine and stays in that folder then you have a permissions problem with the desktop folder or subfolder you are trying export to.