9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2015 6:41 PM by SteveH59

Can't see audio or soundtrack on Timeline

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

I am editing a video clip in Premier Elements 11 that usually has an hour's worth of video frames in the Timeline and some audio files (in green) underneath. I can normally see these audio files along the timeline, remove them, and edit them.

I have now reopened the .prel file and the audio files have vanished. The audio files I had that accompanied the video scenes have become part of the clip - so the work I did previously was still worthwhile - but I am unable to edit them because they are no longer on the timeline (but the video clip itself is still there).

The major change I have made is to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 (this is the first time I have opened Prem 11 in Win 10 and discovered the absence of the audio files), though that may be unrelated. Now I am getting the following message onscreen:

PremierElements.jpg

which, again, may be unrelated. In any case, Device Manager, under Display Adapters, shows that I have a Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset (Microsoft WDDM 1.1) adapter and not the Microsoft GDI Generic 1.1 adapter that the onscreen message refers to. In any case, Device Manager tells me I have the latest updates.

Again, the Win 10 upgrade and the Display Adapter issue may have nothing to do with me not being able to see my green audio track. Is there any way, however, of getting the track back so that I can edit various things?

Thanks!

Steve

• 1. Re: Can't see audio or soundtrack on Timeline
          SteveH59 Level 1

Sorry!

Ignore all of that! I was not in Expert View, my apologies.

On a different question, if I may? I have a soundtrack volume of 0.0dB which is fine, and another which is -59db. When I change that -59db to 0.0dB and press Enter (so that all soundtracks have the same volume level), it does not save my change.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Steve

• 2. Re: Can't see audio or soundtrack on Timeline
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

First thing to do....let us try to get rid of that display card error message

a. Are you positive that you have the latest version of that Intel's driver installed according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer?

b. If driver version is up to date, then delete the BadDrivers.txt file for Premiere Elements 11. The instructions for doing that are found in the following  ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: BadDrivers.Txt File Locations

There are two parts to that: first is to make sure that the Folder option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives is enabled, and second find and delete the BadDrivers.txt file specific to your version, 11.

With the matter of the video and audio representations on the Expert workspace Timeline...are you show that you are not involved with the "Video Track Display Style" and "Audio Track Display Style". Does the issue change if you click on the film strip icon next to the word Video 1 and if you click on the speaker icon next to the word Audio 1? I am going to need more details on this one.

We will be watching for further developments as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Can't see audio or soundtrack on Timeline
              SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Thanks you for that.

I have now deleted the BadDrivers.txt file for Premiere Elements 11.

Yes, I wasn't in Expert view. Now I am and can see the audio track, but can you read my second post, please?

Many thanks.

Steve

• 4. Re: Can't see audio or soundtrack on Timeline
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for the follow up.

0.0 dB may not have the same loudness for two files set a 0.0 dB. That 0.0 dB relates to the volume of the original recording.

But, how are you setting changing the - 59 dB to 0.0 dB. Are you doing volume change

a. highlight the soundtrack with volume - 59 dB, then going to Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded, and moving the Volume slider from - 59 dB to 0.0 dB.

or

b. something else, like using the Tools Menu/Audio Mixer....if this one and you are doing it on a static basis, move the Timeline Indicator to the Timeline audio clip and then set the Soundtrack volume and close out of there.

Please consider. If you need clarification on any of the above, please let me know.

(I am working in the Expert workspace)

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Can't see audio or soundtrack on Timeline
                  SteveH59 Level 1

Thanks again, ATR.

I am highlighting the soundtrack with volume - 59 dB, then going to Adjust | Volume and type in 0.0db. Then I press Enter and I can see that it 'seems' to have accepted the change to 0.0db.

But when I then click on Play, I can tell that the volume has not increased at all. So I go back to Adjust | Volume and it is back to -59dB. That is, the change to 0.0dB does not seem to have saved.

Actually, I have just tried it again now: highlighted the audio track, went to Adjust | Volume, typed in 0.0dB and pressed Enter, then clicked on Play - the volume does seem lower than the other 0.0dB audio track - but then went back to Adjust | Volume and it had remained at my 0.0dB readjustment, so it looks as if it has in fact saved.

If I wanted to increase the volume, would I just add a + to the dB and test it? I am saving it correctly, aren't I, by pressing Enter?

Thanks again.

• 6. Re: Can't see audio or soundtrack on Timeline
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for the update.

You do not have to press Enter after you set the Volume slider under Adjust Tab/Adjustments/Volume panel expanded. Just close out of Adjust Tab route using those two tiny (point to right) triangles at the top right. See if you notice a difference in the problem. I have seen some funny goings on when I use Enter after moving the Volume slider to a new position.

And you do not have to put a + dB if you want to increase the Volume above 0.0 dB. But you do need the - if you want to lower the Volume below 0.0 dB.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Can't see audio or soundtrack on Timeline
                      SteveH59 Level 1

I see what you mean - those two forward pointing triangles 'saves' the changes and takes you out of the Adjust dialogue box at the same time.

Oh, OK. So if I wanted, for example, 10dB I would just type it in as that: no need for +10dB, but I do need the minus sign if, for example, I wish to save the volume at -10dB.

• 8. Re: Can't see audio or soundtrack on Timeline
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Just a note...although you can lower the Volume to - 59 dB and even down to infinity, the highest dB reading is 6.0 (+ understood). If you did type in + 10.0 dB, you would get 6.0 dB (and no + sign).

I think we are OK on that now.

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: Can't see audio or soundtrack on Timeline
                          SteveH59 Level 1

You have been a great help as usual!

Many thanks again.

Steve