6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2015 7:14 AM by mbrannon47

Vertically align multiple objects?

mbrannon47 Level 1

For a pamphlet, I have created a basic design consisting of a header, a solid line, and a text block containing a few paragraphs. To the right, I have created a spot for supporting information, which has a dotted line vertically aligned to the top point of the text paragraphs to the left (showing this alignment with a green line).

Because the text will vary in length (I am using vertical auto-sizing under Text Frame Options), I would all this content to vertically center on each page. The included golden rectangles represent roughly an equal vertical size. If the header increase to three lines (this text frame is anchored at the bottom) and/or if the text below gets longer/shorter (this text frame is anchored at the top).

I would also like to keep the vertical alignment between the starting point of the left text and the dotted line + the content to the right (indicated by the green line).

I've done a lot of searching on this discussion community, as well as performed several Google searches and have only found some very basic information about groups and alignment/distribution. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

indesign.png

Second example (showing more text while maintaining vertical alignment, as well as vertical lock point with dotted line and supporting content to the right:

varying-size.png

• 1. Re: Vertically align multiple objects?
          smoothsea Level 3

Hi,

I'm not sure that you actually need auto-sizing on your text frame - if you make the text frame the full depth and then just centre your content within it.

As far as the supporting information content goes, I would group the elements together and then anchor it to the text in your main text frame. Then it will move up and down according to how much text you have. It doesn't matter that it will sit outside the main text frame.

Regards,

Malcolm

• 2. Re: Vertically align multiple objects?
            mbrannon47 Level 1

Okay, this is a pretty great start. Thank you. Two questions come to mind:

1. Is there any trick for adding a vertical line that moves with the text? Should I explore using an underline or horizontally stretched underscore? I really like the idea about a full depth text frame with vertically centered text!

2. How does one anchor this group to a particular part of the text?

• 3. Re: Vertically align multiple objects?
              smoothsea Level 3

Hi,

Do you mean a vertical line? Or horizontal?

To anchor elements to text: Any text frame or group of elements when selected with the selection tool (black arrow) will display a coloured square near the top right of the object or group. Drag from this square into your main text frame to the line of text where you want the anchor to be. You can still manually adjust the position of the anchored group, but thereafter it will always move relative to the text it is anchored to.

If you meant a vertical line, then you could anchor this to text in the same way. If you meant a horizontal line, then I would recommend using paragraph rules (Windows>Type & Tables>Paragraph then choose Paragraph Rules from the flyout menu.

Regards,

Malcolm

• 4. Re: Vertically align multiple objects?
                mbrannon47 Level 1

Wow, this is a great answer! I mean the horizontal line that's sitting between what are presently two text frames. The paragraph rules seems to work for a line that represents the full column width, but I'm wondering how to create a horizontal line that's only .7 in wide. Tried using a bunch of spaces and setting paragraph rules with no result.

Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 11.40.52 PM.png

• 5. Re: Vertically align multiple objects?
                  smoothsea Level 3

Hi,

To control the length of the paragraph rule, use the left indent and right indent fields in the paragraph rules dialog box. Don't try to use spaces for anything other than between words because you'll get yourself into a mess very quickly. I don't know what your column width is, but let's say it's 5in. Then you would set your right indent in the paragraph rules dialog to be 4.3in.

I think now might be an opportune time for a gentle guide about how you set up your documents. Your supporting content elements (including the rule above) could easily be in one frame which is easier to handle, with paragraph styles set for each line. Paragraph styles allow you to change the typefrace or size etc globally once all of your content is in.

Regards,

Malcolm

• 6. Re: Vertically align multiple objects?
                    mbrannon47 Level 1

Malcolm, I wanted to reach out and thank you for your tremendous help in this matter. Not only did your suggestions work, but your advice has led to a streamlining of an otherwise complicated document.