1 2 3 4 Previous Next 127 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2016 8:47 AM by GSPFilmworks

Undo doesn't affect preview

ewaw44477710

Adobe After Effects 2015.0.1 - ver. 13.5.1.48, so it's up to date.

Issue is as it follows:

While making anything in a composition -w hen I hit crtl+z (or choose undo from menu-edit) it does work - technically - but there is some preview problem. For example:

I make a solid square, then i move it to right, and again, and again. So we have 4 steps (create, move, move, move). So let's say I'm on the last step and the square is on the right. Then i hit undo. What I get is... the layer is still in the same position, but bounding box actually goes back to the step 3 (correct reaction!).

So while undoing, the visual material stays at it's place, and a bounding box moves as it should.

Please, help as soon as possible.
      Adrian

• 1. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
          Formatik Mediaontwerp

Does it stay there if you wait like a minute? Or does it update after some time? Because that is what happens with me. The refresh of the composition panel is really really really slow... It looks like a cache problem. Just wondering.

• 2. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
            ewaw44477710 Level 1

Does it stay there if you wait like a minute? Or does it update after some time?

It stays the same untill I relaunch Ae. After that i got proper preview as it should look like.

• 3. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does it stay there in the wrong spot even if other changes to it are made?

• 4. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                ewaw44477710 Level 1

Does it stay there in the wrong spot even if other changes to it are made?

Unfortuanetely, yes, it's still. Manipulating, moving, adding effects - that doesn't work at all.

What can be cause of this? It's rather a bug, or something different?

• 5. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                  rjbjorklund Level 1

I am having the same issue. Undo is technically working in the composition, but not updating in the preview.

The only way I can get what ever I undid to update in the preview is to the apply whatever I changed directly to the layer... or just restart. For example: if I move an object from position A to position B then hit undo, the object still shows it is at position B in the preview, even though the position properties in the timeline show it is at position A. I can only fix this by manually re-entering position A into the position properties even though it already says it is in position A.

This really bogs down the speed of the work flow, so whoever solves this problem gets supreme master of the universe status!

• 6. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview

What happens if you zoom in and out real quick? Like, change the resolution AND magnification of your comp panel?

• 7. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                      rjbjorklund Level 1

thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately wasn't the solution.

• 8. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                        StormyCPb Level 3

if you purge the cache, does that correct it?

• 9. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                          cschodt48

I'm also having this problem. Nothing fixes it except re-opening the project. Has any progress been made to correct this? It's made After Effects also unusable.

• 10. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are some fixes in this area in the update scheduled for release at the end of this month.

• 11. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                              cschodt48 Level 1

I downloaded the most recent update, and the problem persists. I can't undo any action, and see the changes in preview. This is kind of a serious issue, it makes it extremely hard to work.

Windows 10 64 bit

i7-6700k

32GB DDR4 2800

Nvidia 980 Ti

Main drive SSD

Cache Drive SSD

Conformed Media SSD

Media storage RAID 0

• 12. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview

Every time you undo, no matter what action you've done, the undo isn't reflected in your composition panel? And this is with 13.6?

What about a brand new project, brand new composition, and a single shape layer in the comp and nothing else in the project? Move it's position then undo. Does that still not work?

• 13. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                  Greedy Fish

I've found that purging works but this all massively slows you down. It's a huge issue and I can't wait until the end of the month to use undo. Can you ctrl + z an update?

• 14. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                    Jissse Level 1

Same problem here, I've spent the day purging cache to get back the right preview, I didn't have any problems before the update though...

• 15. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                      dh91 Level 1

I actually came here thinking that this problem was a result of version 13.6, because I don't recall it in previous versions.

**But I can definitely confirm that this is a huge problem for me, and it has affected both my system at work and at home, across multiple plugins, and any and all values are affected by it.**

Changing preview resolutions seems to make it update the preview, but even then, sometimes the preview will "glitch" back and forth between old and new.

I really thought I was downloading a bug fix update, bit this is literally one of the most annoying and unproductive bugs I have encountered.

• 16. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                        Tychof

Same for me, but only since i updated to 13.6.

Sometimes, if it's a position change (or similar) that was undone, it's enough to change the value manually, but a lot of times only a purge will help. Switched back to 2014 for now.

Ah and the problem is happening ALWAYS now. Even in a 13.6 created Project...

The only thing i've messed with is the Keyboard-Shortcuts file... 13.6 wouldnt eat my 13.5 hotkeys so i manually updated the majorversion-number in it so it wouldn't reset everything (please never let that happen, honestly, i would shoot myself)

• 17. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                          andy-mario Level 1

I already opened another topic on this same issue.

This problem makes impossible to do any production work, I struggled for the last few hours purging the cache 1000 times while trying to deliver a work.

I know it's wise to wait before update your software (and I didn't check the radio button so previous version was uninstalled and I can't go back!)

but it's not possible to use 13.6 in production with these issues going on.

Now we'll see if this patch will take months like the august illustrator fix for corrupted preferences file.

• 18. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                            kaih89522331

I have the same problem. The live preview doesn´t work properly! I have to deliver a large project until next week. Now it´s almost impossbile to work fast with the new AE version. Adobe should fix it asap!

• 19. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                              Greedy Fish Level 1

I'm amazed it was released with this bug. I don't think anyone can really wait for updates at the end of the month. Really hope they fix this soon.

• 20. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                Tychof Level 1

This is a really wierd problem and it's not fully cache-related... i just animated a simple solid with two keyframes, added a third keyframe in the middle, shifting the layer up and immediatly undid it. Without a third keyframe it's still animating the change i undid. And i didn't even preview the animation at all.

• 21. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview

Greedy Fish wrote:

I don't think anyone can really wait for updates at the end of the month. Really hope they fix this soon.

The "end of the month" has come (November 30th) and given us the 13.6 update. It fixed similar problems for some people, but not for everyone it would seem. I don't know when the next update will be, but I hope it comes soon too!

• 22. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview

Tychof wrote:

This is a really wierd problem and it's not fully cache-related... i just animated a simple solid with two keyframes, added a third keyframe in the middle, shifting the layer up and immediatly undid it. Without a third keyframe it's still animating the change i undid. And i didn't even preview the animation at all.

That's interesting. I'd suggest filing a bug report, letting them know exactly what hardware and OS you're using so they can narrow down the issue and fix it! Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 23. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                      dh91 Level 1

Yeah, I was gonna say.. The "end of the month" was 2 days ago. I didn't notice any problems in 13.5, but this update just really killed the ability to use the program.

In another thread, Todd mentioned that they (paraphrasing) "had a meeting about the update to be released in the next couple months"

I am sorry, but no one who uses this software in a professional manner can wait 2 months for Adobe to fix what they literally broke.

• 24. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview

Tychof wrote:

i just animated a simple solid with two keyframes, added a third keyframe in the middle, shifting the layer up and immediatly undid it. Without a third keyframe it's still animating the change i undid. And i didn't even preview the animation at all.

I had (very occasional) undo problems on 13.5, but ever since I started using 13.6 I have had 0 issues. I just tested this exact same scenario and it behaved with no problems. There is something going on with all y'all's machines that isn't happening on mine. This is probably why 13.6 got released with this bug; it doesn't happen on all machines. It might not even happen on most machines. You folks are the lucky ones!

Seriously though, I wonder what the difference is between machines with and without this problem. All I can suggest is filing bug reports with as much detail as possible AND share on these forums with as much detail as possible and hopefully somebody will eventually figure this out!

• 25. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                          dh91 Level 1

I wish I knew what the link is..

My workstation at home and at work are both running Windows 7, but the processors (4 vs 6 core i7), video card (Quadro k4000 vs GTX 970), even the SSD's for media cache are different.

I need to do more testing, but I might have noticed this occurring more using the plugins Element and Particular. 

• 26. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                            dh91 Level 1

After further testing, this doesn't seem to be just an undo issue.

A composition I am working in right now uses the plugin Element. That plugin is using a layer as a custom texture, and that layer is a precomposed comp. Right now when I attempt to adjust the texture in it's comp. It does NOT update inside of Element unless I either dump the cache, or change the resolution of the preview.

• 27. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                              picenilllo Level 1

I've been experiencing the same issue, since the very first 2015 update, I've learned to keep working like this because I am just to lazy to uninstall 2015 and reinstall 2014,  so when I encounter this issue I always save, close project and reopen recent project.  hahaha I know is stupid but I just manage to work like this, in other occasions in order to see the undo change I move the position of the object one frame and then put it back and immediately notice the undo.  So, i know this is something we don't have to do, but I recommend all of those that encounter these problems is that part of your profession or what ever you do for a living is to solve problems (specially for an editor or animator or Mographer) and do whatever you have to do and find a way to get the "work done"..instead of winning and blaming or everybody else.    Peace!

win7

quadrok4000

32gram

• 28. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                                chelloiacovone

This problem started happening after the recent update ( 13.6.0.165), purging cache does the trick, but it slows down production quite a bunch, please fix this ASAP!

• 29. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                                  scztt-ae Adobe Employee

If you're seeing this in 13.5, please try upgrading to 13.6.

For those experiencing this in 13.6, please try:

1. Turn on logging (Help -> Enable Logging) (requires an app restart)

2. Using the simplest set of steps you can, get into the preview-not-updating-after-undo state.

3. Once you're in the state, make a copy of the log file (Help -> Reveal Logging File). This should ensure the last things in the log are hopefully the things you did just before the problem occurred....

4. Either post the saved log here (via Pastebin.com / Dropbox), or send via a bug report Feature Request/Bug Report Form with a DETAILED report of the steps you took to get there (this is critical, as we'll have to narrow exactly which project change is causing things to get out of sync!)

Also, in cases where you are no longer seeing updates, please check the CPU usage of AE in your Activity|Resource Monitor - it's possible that what looks like preview not updating may in fact be AE cranking on a slow frame in the background.

And finally - in 13.6 (though not in 13.5), purge should potentially fix bugs in this family. If you're seeing this in 13.6 and purging memory + cache does NOT fix the preview, please call that out explicitly, as it might be a slightly different problem.

1 person found this helpful
                                                                  • 30. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview

picenilllo wrote:

I am just to lazy to uninstall 2015 and reinstall 2014,

You don't have to uninstall CC 2015 to install CC 2014. The two co-exist quite nicely together. In fact, the AE team recommends it! keeping previous versions installed when installing CC 2015 applications

So, really, it's as simple as clicking a couple of buttons to install an older version. Instructions here: http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2015/06/16/how-to-find-and-install-previous-version-of-ad obe-apps-in-cc-2015/

picenilllo wrote:

I've been experiencing the same issue, since the very first 2015 update,

Like Scztt says, consider updating to 13.6. I had intermittent issues with undo/cache issues in CC 2015 until 13.6 and now those problems are all gone for me.

• 31. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                                      dhoene Level 1

Submitted a bug report as well, but am having the same issue that only purging the memory/cache refreshes the preview with any updates tot the timeline.  I'm trying to get work done, so I can't restart my project, but I am working with 4k (screen capture) footage in a 1080p timeline to show a web interface, but things like deleting all layers from the timeline doesn't update the preview window without the purge, so it's frustrating.

• 32. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                                        picenilllo Level 1

Great, thanks!

• 33. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                                          jb1234 Level 1

Okay, so I totally uninstalled After Effects and reinstalled from scratch from the desktop Creative Cloud app (back to the latest update), and now undo is working correctly. Maybe the update process is borking something, and reinstalling fresh fixes it? I'd suggest to give it a try, as it worked for me.

• 34. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                                            jb1234 Level 1

Spoke too soon. After using AE for about 30 minutes, the problem is back. What in the world.

• 35. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                                              scztt-ae Adobe Employee

A bad installation, hardware, local machine configuration details are very unlikely to be the cause of a problem like this - so don't psych yourselves out too much on that front. The bug in question is most likely related to some particular kind of change, or combination of changes, to the project - and may be happening intermittently. The most useful details would be -- how were you modifying the project just before the problem appeared (for example - I was using the clone brush, I pasted a layer and then undo'd, etc).

• 36. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                                                jb1234 Level 1

All I have to do is create a new project, draw out a rectangle shape object, move its position, hit undo. Shape doesn't move back to where it started, but bounding box does. Cache purge updates its position, but another move/undo takes it back to square 1.

• 37. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview

scztt-ae wrote:

A bad installation, hardware, local machine configuration details are very unlikely to be the cause of a problem like this - so don't psych yourselves out too much on that front.

That's good to know.

scztt-ae wrote:

The most useful details would be -- how were you modifying the project just before the problem appeared (for example - I was using the clone brush, I pasted a layer and then undo'd, etc).

Tychof said,

I just animated a simple solid with two keyframes, added a third keyframe in the middle, shifting the layer up and immediatly undid it. Without a third keyframe it's still animating the change i undid. And i didn't even preview the animation at all.

That seems as basic as you can get! I tried this on my machine and the undo behaved itself, so you're thinking something that happened prior to this action might have caused Tychof's issue?

I guess those log files you asked for along with our explanations are the best thing we can do right now if we experience this issue, but I know it's got to be frustrating for those left waiting!

• 38. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                                                    {KMS} Level 2

The end of the month...so much for fast updates with going to the cloud.  The program can't be used like this and now I have to spend time rolling it back.  Thanks.

• 39. Re: Undo doesn't affect preview
                                                                                      cschodt48 Level 1

I had the problem in 13.5, and it's persisted in 13.6. The one thing I can think of is that I have a custom location set for the cache (to a dedicated SSD), but switching back to default didn't fix anything.

It's only happened in some projects, not all, but once it starts happening, nothing, even copying to a new project, seems to fix it.  Clearing the cache will get me ONE action that will undo, and it happens to every almost every single action I do (moving layers, editing any keyframe-able value, shy/unshy layers, change duration, etc)

Oh, and in the projects were undo IS working, After Effects just now hard-crashes about 1 in 3 times I try to preview something. Yay!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next