12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2015 4:24 PM by Azza276

Added a new HDD now Rendering doesn't run as fast

Azza276

Hi there,

I've been using Premiere Elements 13 for about a two months. Recently I rendered a video which took a little longer than expected, but the biggest thing I noted was that my CPU was not being pushed.

So I had been using nVidia Shadowplay to record game footage that I edit up for my Youtube Channel. Shadow play outputs in H.264 mp4, but for some reason the last vid I did with it was artifacting between keyframes... But prior, when rendering a Vid it was using my CPU to the max.

Anyway because of the Shadowplay issues, I switched to DxTory, which records in .avi, and produces bigger files. So I bought a bigger HDD (3TB) to accommodate.

So the issue. I rendered my latest video but I noted that the CPU was not working nearly as hard, and the rendering took a little longer than expected.

2 recent changes - Changed the Premiere Elements scratch disks etc all to the new HDD, which is also the location of the source video. Using DxTory and AVI format source.

I render to youtube compatible at 1080HD, H264, mp4 at about 20Mbps (I know YT renders that down to 8Mbps)

PC Specs - i7 4790K, GTX660, 8GB Ram, SSD Operating system drive, but use HDD for Video. I clock my 4790K to 4.7Ghz for rendering, which like previously worked fine and rendering used it all, now it's about 70-80% and it barely raises it temp (whereas before the the cooling fans kicked in)

Anyway, is there something that changed recently that could cause the rendering to not use the full CPU like before?  TIA

Cheers

Azza

p.s. In the latest vid I did have some slow-mo and reverse vid clips, but I would think this would work the CPU harder and only in those spots...

• 1. Re: Added a new HDD now Rendering doesn't run as fast
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the new hard drive 7200 RPM or 5400 RPM?

• 2. Re: Added a new HDD now Rendering doesn't run as fast
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Azza276

Anyway, is there something that changed recently that could cause the rendering to not use the full CPU like before?

Shadow Play video versus Dxtory video?

Although data transfer rate of drives is a consideration, I would not overlook the video format factor in this, including whether or not the video was recorded with a variable or constant frame rate.

After you replaced the hard drive with the new, did you compare the performance with video recorded with Shadow Play versus video recorded with Dxtory? You describe the Shadow Play video as H.264.mp4 (video compression and wrapper format), but you describe the Dxtory only with regard to the wrapper format, .avi. What is the video compression used for the .avi video?

Have you upgraded 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? Please check Expert workspace Help Menu/Adobe Premiere Elements to determine if you are using 13 or 13.1.

Since your computer is using a NVIDIA video card/graphics card, you do not have the opportunity for Hardware Acceleration offered by Premiere Elements 13/13.1 for rendering and certain Publish+Share choices. According to Adobe, you need an Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher card for that plus its preference enabled in preferences.

Just some thoughts for now.

ATR

• 3. Re: Added a new HDD now Rendering doesn't run as fast
              Azza276 Level 1

Thanks Peru,

The specs say it's a 7200

Cheers

Azza

• 4. Re: Added a new HDD now Rendering doesn't run as fast
                Azza276 Level 1

A.T. Romano wrote:

Although data transfer rate of drives is a consideration, I would not overlook the video format factor in this, including whether or not the video was recorded with a variable or constant frame rate.

After you replaced the hard drive with the new, did you compare the performance with video recorded with Shadow Play versus video recorded with Dxtory? You describe the Shadow Play video as H.264.mp4 (video compression and wrapper format), but you describe the Dxtory only with regard to the wrapper format, .avi. What is the video compression used for the .avi video?

Have you upgraded 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? Please check Expert workspace Help Menu/Adobe Premiere Elements to determine if you are using 13 or 13.1.

Hi ATR,

Please excuse me, I'm still learning the video ins and outs...

With DxTory, I use the lagarith lossless codec, not sure if that really helps though. Details are on their site: http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

Unfortunately, I didn't check the rates between the Shadowplay vids and DxTory Vids. I did open a DxTory Vid in PE13 before getting the new HDD, but I didn't render it... I will try this at my next opportunity. Do you recommend I take the source vid from the new HDD, or just move my PE cache and scratchdisks back to the other HDD?

I have updated to the latest PE13.1 before even using DxTory, so I don't that's it.

I do actually note that the DxTory recorded vids don't play in the Win10 media player (not that I put much faith it in) but does play in VLC and PE13 no worries... Maybe it is the codec i'm using? I still don't understand though, because if it was harder for PE to render, wouldn't the CPU be working harder to transcode?

Cheers

Azza

• 5. Re: Added a new HDD now Rendering doesn't run as fast
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Azza276

Thanks for the reply with further details of your situation.

Just to make sure we are in sync on the details, when you refer to rendering, are you referring to rendering the Timeline content for previewing purposes, exporting your TImeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive, or uploading your Timeline content to YouTube with the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature? Or, all of them?

To get a quick look for direction, I would focus on the most obvious change...change in video source and format...Shadow Play and its H.264.mp4 and Dxtory with its Lagarith.avi. I would leave the workflow as is, but put each of the source media through your evaluation as to "rendering" now with your new hard drive in place.

As for Lagarith.avi with slow and reverse motion and "rendering" of that, if possible, I would put the Dxtory video file through the workflow - but here compare the same video with and without the slow and reverse motion effects applied. Where are you introducing the effects - in Premiere Elements? If source media are ruled out in the above, then you can continue to minimize the variables to find your answers.

On the other side of things, if you are pointing to rendering of a Lagarith.avi Timeline in terms of upload to YouTube, consider that something may have changed in the YouTube processing conversion of your source. Also, look at the YouTube recommendations for uploads.

Recommended upload encoding settings (Advanced) - YouTube Help

Let us see if we can grab onto a cause and effect, and then try to explain in terms of the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Added a new HDD now Rendering doesn't run as fast
                    Azza276 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for the reply.

By rendering, I am talking about exporting to computer HDD. Unfortunately my internet upload speed is too slow (<125KBps) so I like reviewing the final output before uploading overnight. I also rarely render in the editor as I don't see the need to in my case.

Unfortunately, I haven't got the same video in both formats. Or are you saying to just use another source file, but just change the source through the Project Assets?

As for the slow and reverse motion, I am using PE for that, so I will try with those removed.

For YT stuff, although I don't direct upload to YT, I do use PE youtube settings to export to computer with a little tweaking. mainly change to 1080p (I think PE YT HD is set to 720) and about 20Mbps bit rate (I know a little over the top, but use the higher rate if I need to edit again later.) But otherwise, should be what YT recommended settings are.

I am a little busy for the next day or so, so I might not be able to test right away... But I will update this when I have done it.

Thanks so much for your advice so far.

Regards

Azza

• 7. Re: Added a new HDD now Rendering doesn't run as fast
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Azza

Thanks for exploring the troubleshooting suggestions.

For now, what I would like you to look at is same project, same export, but with different source file on the Premiere Elements Timeline - H.264.mp4 (Shadow Play) and later Lagarith.avi (Dxtory). Also, please include a look at exports using the Lagarith.avi file as Timeline content with and without the slow and reverse motion effects.

All Publish+Share/Computer/ settings should be the same. Please remind me what specific Publish+Share/Computer/ settings you now are using? And, if you are not using the preset's default settings, please indicate where you have customized export settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the selected preset.

I have assumed that the source media are comparable with regard to frame size, frame rate, scan type in the H.264.mp4 and Lagarith.avi comparison.

We will be watching for further development whenever you schedule permits.

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR

• 8. Re: Added a new HDD now Rendering doesn't run as fast
                        Azza276 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Found some time to "test" your suggestions above.

Render settings:

Capture4.JPG

So first tested with mp4 in place of the .avi (respective codecs as discussed before) no changes to the timeline, and to be fair, placed the mp.4 on the same (new) drive as the avi. Actual render times are comparable, but the mp4 definitely used 90-100% cpu, whereas the avi would sit around 60-70%. I did note that HDD read (from source) was significantly higher with the avi (understandably as it is a bigger file) but sat around 20-26MBps, so not really that taxing.

Tried taking out the reverse and slow motion clips, no significant change to the above.

So it certainly does look like the avi with lagarith codec doesn't push my system hard. Why?

Cheers

Azza

• 9. Re: Added a new HDD now Rendering doesn't run as fast
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Axxa276

I saw the Output and Source Summary for the video, but....

Did you say what the export was

Publish+Share

Computer

then what

and then what preset

customization under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the selected preset?

ATR

• 10. Re: Added a new HDD now Rendering doesn't run as fast
                            Azza276 Level 1

My apologies, I thought that would be enough.

So the starting preset was;

Publish+Share>Computer>AVCHD>YouTube Widescreen HD

But I changed a few things mainly size to 1080, Framerate to 30 and Bitrates, saved as a new profile.

Advanced: (Same for both formats)

size to 1920x1080 (Ticked 'based on source')

Frame Rate =30

Field Order =Progressive "Based on Source"

Aspect =Square (1.0) "Based on Source"

TV =NTSC "Based on Source"

Profile =Main "Based on Source"

Level =4.1 "Based on Source"

Bitrate = VBR, 1 Pass

Target BR=15

Max BR=20

Advanced settings has keyframe distance unselected.

Audio is AAC

Sample 44100Hz

Stereo

High Quality

Bitrate=192kbps

Advanced>Precedence set to Sample Rate

Multiplexer is MP4 and standard Stream Compatibility.

Azza

• 11. Re: Added a new HDD now Rendering doesn't run as fast
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Azza276

Thanks for the additional information. The reason that I asked relates to my readings on the matter which suggest that the CPU usage during encoding can also be dependent on the way that algorithm is written - example Lagarith and with mode of RGB-A, RGB-Default, YUY2, or YV12. In the route that you defined, instead of Lagarith, you are using MP4 AVC/H.264 (referred to as AVCHD).

I need to think about the codecs of the original as well as the codecs for export in this context with your actual results.

To be continued....

ATR