4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 12:27 PM by cpgilles

Canon 5Ds small, medium, full cr2 to dng conversion in LRcc

mark@markschafer.com

For delivery, archiving etc. we always convert all cr2 files to dng.

In the past I never shot anything smaller than full size raws, but with the new 5Ds I feel compelled to use the smaller Raw options for certain jobs. We did a couple of test conversion with the 3 file sizes, always the same scene, and the full and medium always convert to about 60mb files, despite the reduced pixel count and smaller cr2 file, only the small raw file converts to a smaller, 30mb file.

Is Adobe not recognizing the medium raw file option, will this be a future update, is there something else I'm missing?

I think the new Canons are a great step up in technology,  but in some workflows it's preferable to have a quicker capture/saving rate with little less pixel count than always have to shoot full 50mpx amd subsequently save on storage space and decrease transit speeds for online client delivery. !

• 1. Re: Canon 5Ds small, medium, full cr2 to dng conversion in LRcc
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This isn't an Adobe issue! Both sRaw and mRaw files are demoasiced in-camera, which is why they don't compress as efficiently as full-size raw files.

http://diglloyd.com/prem/s/DAP/Canon5DS/RAW-mRAW-sRAW-overview.html

I used sRaw format with my Canon 5D MKII with some long exposure shots and discovered hot pixels, which LR normally removes automatically from true raw files. There are many other trade-offs when using mRaw and sRaw formats.

http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/sRaw.pdf

Best suggestion is to shoot full-size raw files or use a lower megapixel camera body.

From a storage space perspective what does it cost you:

2 TB hard drive (internal or external) $100

Canon 5Ds full-size raw file ~60 MB

2 TB = 2,000,000 MB ÷ 60 MB = 33,333 image files

$100 ÷ 33,333 = $ 0.003 per image file (0.3 cents)

• 2. Re: Canon 5Ds small, medium, full cr2 to dng conversion in LRcc
            mark@markschafer.com Level 1

Thanks for the first part of your answer, still doesn't fully explain why the sRAW files get smaller in DNG conversion, whereas the mRAW have the same file size than then the standard RAW files.

And as for the cost part, great math, but i do shoot for some clients where need have about 2500-3000 frames a day, so your 2TB drive fills up quickly and i'm not even going into FTP time for those day...

Let's keep this up and see why Adobe can't figure this out and implement in an upgrade.

• 3. Re: Canon 5Ds small, medium, full cr2 to dng conversion in LRcc
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What size is a typical full-size raw, mRaw, and sRaw? Shoot the same exact subject composition with the same camera settings in all three raw file formats. That's the only way you can compare files sizes. Please post the sizes for all three raw files and then the three converted to DNG. The results will vary based on subject and ISO setting. Here's what Canon says:

mark@markschafer.com wrote:

And as for the cost part, great math, but i do shoot for some clients where need have about 2500-3000 frames a day, so your 2TB drive fills up quickly and i'm not even going into FTP time for those day...

Like I said, the best suggestion is to shoot full-size raw files with a lower megapixel body if you don't need 50 Mp image files. Then you are losing nothing in image quality or storage space other than the base image resolution. The sRaw and mRaw file formats do not have the same dynamic range as a full-size raw file due to the processing that is applied during the conversion. Canon is expanding the dynamic range with an option setting using a firmware update, which will produce even larger sRaw and mRaw file sizes:

http://www.p4pictures.com/2015/04/eos-5ds-firmware-to-deliver-enhanced-dynamic-range/

Just an FYI–Don't shoot the messenger.

mark@markschafer.com wrote:

Let's keep this up and see why Adobe can't figure this out and implement in an upgrade.

The DNG conversion process uses an algorithm that compresses un-demosaiced (encoded) raw data better than demosiaced sRaw and mRaw (RGB) files. I am not aware of any other method that will produce smaller DNG files from sRaw and mRaw files.

• 4. Re: Canon 5Ds small, medium, full cr2 to dng conversion in LRcc
                cpgilles Level 1

I too have a 5DS and just discovered the discrepancy in file sizes.  I never knew this and it is a bit disturbing.  I would not have thought this.  See my recent post DNG vs Proprietary RAW file sizes