15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2015 6:03 PM by christineh39384491

Lightroom and finder (mac)

dieuwertje96

Where in finder can I find the folders from Lightroom?

I have to change the permission of a folder but I do not know how I have to do it.

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
          dj_paige Level 9

Where in finder can I find the folders from Lightroom?

Which folder(s) are your referring to?

If you are talking about folders that contain Lightroom system files, you can find their locations here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-locations-lightroom-41.html

• 2. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
            dieuwertje96 Level 1

I had a problem with importing files. (first picture)

Schermafbeelding 2015-08-30 om 21.50.34.png

I asked something about this problem yesterday on the forum. I had to change permissions to the folders I import my photos in. (second picture)

But I do not know where I can change that.

It would be nice if you could help me !

Schermafbeelding 2015-08-31 om 19.52.57.png

• 3. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
              dj_paige Level 9

I can't give details for Mac computers. However, if you Google "change permissions Mac" without the quotes, you will find the instructions.

• 4. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
                dieuwertje96 Level 1

Thank you. I have googled that already, but I do not know what I have to search for in the finder. Is it the exact name of the folder or is it the lightroom library (which I could not find). I have tried it but I have not found it already

• 5. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
                  dj_paige Level 9

From your screen capture you want to change the permissions on the folder "Notification" and/or "Joyce"

• 6. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
                    dieuwertje96 Level 1

OK. and do I have to go to library then (picture 1) and then to folders (picture 2) and then find that folder and change the permission?

Sorry for all this questions but I am just not very technical..

Schermafbeelding 2015-08-31 om 22.12.28.pngSchermafbeelding 2015-08-31 om 22.12.38.png

• 7. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
                      Bob Somrak Level 5

dieuwertje96 wrote:

Schermafbeelding 2015-08-31 om 19.52.57.png

Right click "Notification" or whichever folder is your import destination and chose "Show in Finder" from the dialog.   Finder will open with the folder selected.  You can then right click the folder in finder and chose Get Info and change the permissions.

• 8. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
                        dieuwertje96 Level 1

Thankyou Bob Somrak. I have came a little further. I can change the permissions of the folders now. (picture 1)

I can give permission by opening the little lock, but when I check the lock if it still is open it is not. I closes every time I close the folder in finder. Is there a sort of safe option? And when I have opened the locks ( notification, authentication, acces) sho

Schermafbeelding 2015-08-31 om 22.37.41.pnguld it then be OK?

I am so happy with all the help!!

• 9. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
                          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Looks like those three directories belong to the OS, so you cannot change things at that level.

You need to open the "notifications" directory, go into "Joyce", and change the directories in there.

• 10. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
                            dieuwertje96 Level 1

Thanks for the help, but I cannot open anything in notification.

this is what I do in steps.

- first picture (click on ''show in finder'')

- second picture (click on ''notification'')

Schermafbeelding 2015-09-01 om 08.16.39.png

Schermafbeelding 2015-09-01 om 08.16.53.png

Schermafbeelding 2015-09-01 om 08.16.57.png

Is there an other solution to use lightroom again? Maybe by deleting all the folders and start totally blanc.

Thanks!!

• 11. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
                              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You are trying to make changes and store, copy or move, files into an area you really should be fooling around with. That area, location of the hard drive, is for the SYSTEM. OS X does not want the Users to change anything in the System folder. What exactly are you trying to do and why are you trying to change something in a SYSTEM folder.

• 12. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
                                dieuwertje96 Level 1

Hi Shootisbond007,

I have a problem with importing photos. When I try to this is what pop ups: (picture 1).

Schermafbeelding 2015-09-01 om 18.56.50.png

The thing I had to do was changing the permission of the folder(s).

But the thing is I don't know where I have to change that. I do know how I change permission in folders. But I just can't fix the problem of importing photos.

Maybe you can help me.

• 13. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
                                  Bob Somrak Level 5

When I first answered your question I assumed Notification was a folder you had created but looking closer at your screen clip I see it is an OS X system folder.   I agree with Shootistbond007 that this is a poor place to be trying to store your photos.  I don't know how OS X let you store photos there to start with.  You need to create a folder in your USER folders, probably the PICTURES folder and try the import.  If you keep messing with your system folders you could eventually mess up the operating system and have to reinstall.

• 14. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
                                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You are trying to import images into a SYSTEM folder. I just fired up a virtual machine of OS X Mountain Lion, 10.8.5, and here is what is in my notifications folder for the same path.

OS X Notifications folder.PNG

And you should NOT be trying to move/copy images into that folder. Also in my screen shot you will see the permissions for that folder.

system Read & Write (Because it is a SYSTEM folder).

wheel Read only

everyone Read only

There is NO User name because it is a SYSTEM folder and Users should not be fooling with those folder.

Chose some other Destination in the import dialog. A Destination folder that You the USER has the ability to both Read and Write to.

Create a folder in the YourUserName/Pictures folder to store you image in.

• 15. Re: Lightroom and finder (mac)
                                      christineh39384491 Level 1

it's def permissions. i cleared my drive (after backing up of course) and reformatted so it was read/write and then put my lightroom folder back on and it works fine. I also downgraded to an earlier version of lightroom-i think 6 and then the update that is 6.1.

FINALLY, after so much time, frustration, tears and fighting with Adobe customer service, this is resolved. it took time, but thankfully worked.

back up and running after a terrible few weeks.