2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 1:05 AM by adamneer

RAM Frequency and CAS Latency

johnt53984649 Level 2

So, in my rig, before it had motherboard problems, the specs looked like this:

5960x CPU @3.0GHZ

H105 Corsair Cooler

32 GB 2133MHz DDR4 Crucial RAM

MSI Gaming 7 X99S Motherboard

2x NVIDIA GTX 970s

256 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD (Boot, Program Drive) (SATA III)

1TB GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD (Media (Source Footage), Media Cache, Preview Files, Export Drive) (SATA III)

Thermaltake 1000W Gold PSU

Once that motherboard died for no obvious reason, the specs changed a little.  Everything stayed the same except for the motherboard and the RAM:

ASUS X99 Deluxe USB 3.1 Motherboard

64GB 2666MHz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RAM.

Now, from everybody who has every used After Effects, they always say that 64GB is going to be significantly better than 32GB; I understand that.  However, what I'm interested about is the following:

1. Does the Frequency of the RAM make a difference in After Effects?  I'm not overclocking my CPU because of some experiences and big problems in the past, so I don't know if there will be a difference just between 2133MHz and 2666MHz.
      2. Does Cas latency mean anything in After Effects?  The old Crucial RAM was Cas Latency of 15 while this Corsair Vengence RAM is 16 Cas Latency.  I have no idea what that means in terms of performance anywhere.

So, basically, are either of the two things I mentioned above going to have any difference?  I know that 64GB will, but what about the Frequency or Cas Latency?  I do not have my machine back yet so I have been unable to test these things for myself.