2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2015 10:41 AM by billyc88920796

CS3 running slow and problems with ram render

billyc88920796

Out of the blue, CS3 starting running very slow. Been working just great. It started when I

loaded two .wmv movies that I was working on.  When I hit "ram preview", it took forever.

There were no effects added.  When I tried to move the timeline scrubber, it would go very slow.

I closed that project out and added a video clip I had worked with before.  When I hit the

Ram preview, it went halfway through the clip and then showed half the clip.  The green bar

only went halfway.  It is only about a 25 second clip. I purged the video graphics.

When I did render a movie that was only about 25 seconds long, it took forever at first, then

went very fast.  It showed that it was using 60 percent of the 4gigs of ram. I am using Windows 7

pro.  Nothing has changed since I worked with it yesterday,. And it worked great yesterday. I checked

Task Manager and nothing else was running at the time. Don't understand why the Ram preview is only

going halfway through the clip.  I am new to After effects so I am not sure what to check. And one

last thing when I did load the video clip that was a .mov file, the timeline scrubber worked okay, but

the Ram preview still only would preview half the clip. One last thing, when I did check Task Manager to see

if anything was running, it showed that After Effects.exe was using lots of memory. The figure was way up

there.  (that might be normal) Any clue what I might check?  I have not changed any settings.  My hard drive

has over 600 gigs free.

• 1. Re: CS3 running slow and problems with ram render
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can tell you anything without exact full system info or other technical details like what footage is used, comp settings, effects etc.. What you describe could easily point to a memory leak in a driver or CoDec.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CS3 running slow and problems with ram render
            billyc88920796 Level 1

Okay, as I said earlier, there were no effects added. I simply added the video clip to the composition file. It was a simple

clip of my dog running around in circles. It was taken with my Samsung Galaxy 3 phone. I did run the clip thru Sony Movie

Studio but that program couldn't do what I wanted with the clip. It was saved by Sony Movie Studio as a .wmv file. I then took

this clip and imported it into After Effects. When I tried to move the timeline scrubber, it moved very slow. When I tried to do

Ram preview, it was very slow. I thought the clip might have been damaged by Sony Movie Studio so I played it with VLC with

no problem. On Sunday, I did a project without any problem. Don't know how to check for a memory leak. The settings were

HDTV 1080 29.97  width 1920 height 1080   square pixels 29.97 Duration 14 seconds My system info

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description  Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model XPS 8300

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A03, 2/15/2011

SMBIOS Version 2.6

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 5.85 GB

Available Physical Memory 4.28 GB

Total Virtual Memory 11.7 GB

Available Virtual Memory 10.1 GB

Page File Space 5.85 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Not sure what else you need.  I don't know how to check for memory leak. Thanks.