1 2 Previous Next 69 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2007 7:28 AM by Newsgroup_User

kuler stories

Sami@Adobe Adobe Employee
      We would love to know how people are using kuler. What kind of creative projects are you doing? In what interesting ways have you applied your kuler themes? Share your kuler story.
        • 1. kuler stories
          monkinetic
          I'm a designer and web geek, so I've approached kuler from both directions. When my head gets fried on some technical issue, I'll often fiddle with a color theme on kuler until my brian gets unstuck. I'm also hacking on the kuler API ***edited by moderator for content***
          • 2. Re: kuler stories
            Achmetha Level 1
            I'm a beginning art student. I've been using this program to develop interesting color schemes for digital paintings and everything of the sort. I am also using kuler to help develop of a unique webfolio.
            • 3. kuler stories
              3ABNPublishing Level 1
              I manage the publishing department at a TV and radio network. I've had a lot of fun just playing with kuler, and have been inspired by some of the great themes I've seen online. I've told my assistants about it, and one of them is already using kuler on a regular basis to produce color schemes for his art and layout designs.
              • 4. Re: kuler stories
                vtp
                I'm a web design student, currently taking both Flash and CSS classes where I have to produce a different web page or movie clip each week. Once I found Kuler, I couldn't help myself and have built several versions of each assignment trying out different color schemes. The great thing about Kuler is that not only can I create my own schemes, but I can browse through the schemes others have published to find something that appeals or matches the color of an image/graphic I'm using, then apply that scheme to my web page. Sometimes it really surprises me what ends up working best.
                • 5. Re: kuler stories
                  Thanks for your stories. There is a real range of professions and experience! It's good to see that browsing other themes is providing some inspiration, as we hoped.
                  Looking forward to hearing more kuler tales...
                  Sami
                  • 6. Re: kuler stories
                    Luiz_Henrique_Pedroso
                    i'm graphic designer and graphic productor in brazil.
                    i'm using for make color harmonies for my works.
                    kuler is great cuz give cmyk values.
                    • 7. Re: kuler stories
                      Level 7
                      I am a designer dying to try Kuler but can't get started. When I launch the web
                      ap I just get a question mark (?) inside a Quicktime icon. I have QT Pro 7
                      loaded and Flash 9.0.28 but can't get Kuler to open in Safari on a G4 powerbook
                      running OS 10.4. Any ideas anyone? Just discovered Adobe Labs and it looks
                      great. Thanks.

• 8. Re: kuler stories
                        tobycryns
                        I am a web programmer who doesn't know much about creating good color schemes (Despite my best efforts to the contrary, I am regularly told that my wardrobe never matches either.). Kuler has really sparked my imagination as well as given me a good starting point for coming up with color schemes for websites. Thanks!
                        • 9. Re: kuler stories
                          Peasly
                          you underestimate yourself..

-P-
                          • 10. Re: kuler stories
                            Jon Henshaw
                            I was inspired by kuler's design, not just its use as a tool. I found a color scheme that I really liked ("Orange on olive" by mats.holmberg) and copied the pattern as-is to use for a decorative mast. I then used many of the colors (actually shades of gray) from the kuler site to create my new blog. Coupled with TextPattern (a kick *** CMS) and sIFR 3 (a Flash and JavaScript based typography solution that's also search engine friendly) I was able to relaunch my site in style at http://jonhenshaw.com/
                            • 11. Re: kuler stories
                              All4artz000 Level 1
                              I am a Freelance Web/graphic design. Kuler is Now CRUCIAL to my web Development. It Short cuts the time it take for me to drum up a color theme for a new web design. I send my Clients to Kuler's main site to pick a color scheme they want the take a screenshot and email it me or even print out. I would be so please if Adobe adds a "Email to Friend" function to the site.
                              Thanks All4Artz
                              • 12. Re: kuler stories
                                Schwecheimer1
                                I am a Web Developer/Designer/Graphic Artist. I love Kuler and use if for many applications from Color Schemes for Websites to print material. I am able to take a base color and quickly try different combinations. Great tool.
                                • 13. Re: kuler stories
                                  These are great, thanks to all for posting. Keep 'em coming!
                                  All4artz000: Your feature request has been added to the list.

Sami
                                  • 14. Re: kuler stories
                                    _newbie
                                    Hi there!

I am s student at a higher technical school. I am using the colors for my Java-Game. My game is not only fun to play but it contains a lot of color schemes from kuler. I just love this site. The game will soon be available on www.redesigned.at.tf . I will also have a link to kuler on my site. Currently the site is in building mode but my game will be available on it as soon as it is finished. (This evening).
                                    • 15. kuler stories
                                      Hi, that's a cool use of kuler! Looking forward to checking out the game, let us know when it's live.

Sami
                                      • 16. Re: kuler stories
                                        VLCNCRZR
                                        I am using Kuler for my color schemes on graphical user interfaces
                                        for touch panel controls on AMX & Crestron control systems.

This is an awesome application!
                                        • 17. Re: kuler stories
                                          Bonfimzinho
                                          I'm a Graphic designer and I work in France.
                                          I studied Arts in the Rio's Federal University ( Brazil ) and Lithographie in Art's University in Berlin ( Germany ).
                                          I like to draw illustrations but it was not easy to me to fill it with collors.
                                          Now it's OK, no STRESS, Choosing collors can be a pleasent time.
                                          Thanks Kuler!!!
                                          Josivan
                                          • 18. Re: kuler stories
                                            Hello Josivan,
                                            Thanks for posting! We're really pleased at how international our users are, and your background really adds to that. :)
                                            Would love to see your illustration work if you have a web site.
                                            Sami
                                            • 19. Re: kuler stories
                                              ytknows
                                              I work at a small weekly newspaper in Georgia, USA. I discovered kuler from a link on John Nack's blog, and have been using it ever since. We do 5 or 6 full color magazines each year (regional-oriented) and have already used it on 2 of our magazines for ads and in editorial layout. I love it! Kuler even received mention at our company's latest technical meeting, so our organization's many newspapers are all familiar with it now. You rock, Adobe team!
                                              • 20. Re: kuler stories
                                                mrs messy
                                                I work as a web designer and i started to use kuler for colour schemes - i sent my colleagues the link and now we all have fun using it!... in my own time i also use it for personal projects such as illustrations. It's addictive....
                                                • 21. Re: kuler stories
                                                  Level 7
                                                  Sami,

Is it possible to open the themes to the community as a web service? I am
                                                  working on an application that could apply the colors on the fly. The themes
                                                  could ultimately be scrolled through to see how the application look and feel
                                                  changes. Even if I was abel to copy a comma delimited list of the swatch
                                                  colors from the interface rather than click each field from the create screen.
                                                  Your thoughts? Thanks.

• 22. Re: kuler stories
                                                    strikefish
                                                    Sami,

Is it possible to open the swatches to the community as a web service? I am working on an application that could apply the colors on the fly. The themes could ultimately be scrolled through to see how the application look and feel changes. Even if I was able to copy a comma delimited list of the swatch colors from the interface rather than click each field from the create screen. Your thoughts? Thanks.
                                                    • 23. Re: kuler stories
                                                      Hi Strikefish,
                                                      Interesting stuff you are working on! We are looking into it. Thanks for the post.
                                                      Sami
                                                      • 24. Re: kuler stories
                                                        ellamarie
                                                        i love kuler!
                                                        i use it to find quirky schemes for my stained glass work
                                                        it's an artist's best friend
                                                        • 25. Re: kuler stories
                                                          Ostrya.geo
                                                          I'm not color blind, but have been accused of it. This is a great tool to get some color mojo working in a hurry. Are there any plans to expand the number of colors available in a swatch? At present I have been changing the base color value to one of the other colors in the swatch to get a new related set.
                                                          • 26. Re: kuler stories
                                                            Hi, we are always interested in new feature ideas. How many swatches would be ideal? Please respond on the MIssing Features thread since we track requests in topics like that.

I'm curious, how are you using kuler? For print, web, professional and/or hobbies?
                                                            Sami
                                                            • 27. kuler stories
                                                              Claudius_F
                                                              I am enjoying Kuler for the first time. I am a cartographer and am regularly in need of color schemes for coloring neighboring regions. I heard about Kuler in Mordy Golding's illustrator class.

What a cool site! I only wish it had an undo and/or a reverte button.
                                                              • 28. kuler stories
                                                                magrolino
                                                                i am assistant professor at a university of applied science and I use kuler for creating convenient color sets for my slides as well as for small web projects (besides work I do a lot in photography, I tried to use kuler in combinations with duetone images but not a lot of experience with that yet).
                                                                I found out about kuler at john nack's blog and I gave the url to a lot of our students (which use kuler as well for web related projects afaik).

great app, thx for providing that for free! I would really like to see that one day as well as a standalone app with the possibility of importing and exporting color sets as well as a fast preview of colorset-files. at the moment there is no convenient way for me to know what a colorset in a single file looks like - without importing every single file into an adobe app.
                                                                I like the flashbased idea, but a standalone app with web connectivity (sharing, uploading,...) AND with the benefits of fast and small standalone apps would be really nice. is something like that planned at adobe?
                                                                • 29. Re: kuler stories
                                                                  Hi folks,
                                                                  These are great posts, thanks so much for sharing. I'll pass them along to the team.

As far as suggestions, I'd love a little more info. Claude, can you just clarify in what situations you want an undo/revert button? That would be helpful for us in thinking about use cases (we can guess, but always good to hear direct). Magrolino, can you describe what mean when you say you aren't sure what the color set will look like? Is it a color management issue?

Thanks again!
                                                                  Sami
                                                                  • 30. Re: kuler stories
                                                                    eggonbeagle
                                                                    Hey. Thanks for this tool .. its very good.
                                                                    I'm using it to work with some interior designers in San Francisco; taking their input and shooting out different color schemes for their website based on existing materials..like tiles, paint chips, or images..
                                                                    nice format; then I email a pdf for them to review ~ you could build in automated pdf export/support... just a thought.
                                                                    thx
                                                                    • 31. Re: kuler stories
                                                                      strikefish Level 1
                                                                      Sami,

I'd be more than happy to design and write code for the kuler team with regard to my web service request. Please let me know if I can help in anyway.
                                                                      • 32. Re: kuler stories
                                                                        Level 7
                                                                        quote:

Originally posted by: Sami Iwata
                                                                        Magrolino, can you describe what mean when you say you aren't sure what the
                                                                        color set will look like? Is it a color management issue?

No, what I meant was the following situation:
                                                                        I download and save a lot of color sets on my pc(s) as color swatch files.
                                                                        After weeks, months ... they probably change online or get difficult to
                                                                        re-find. So I have a look through all the files on my harddisk - but to find
                                                                        out how which set looks like I have to import them set for set into an adobe
                                                                        app. Or I have to use some kind of script to do that - so it takes a lot of
                                                                        time to find a specific color set. Some kind of preview would be nice so I can
                                                                        browse through all my local colorset files (nevertheless exactly this scenario
                                                                        is not really possible for a webapp, i know - but at least some miniapp to flip
                                                                        through local colorset files would be nice).

Sorry for the maybe difficult-to-understand-explanation, I hope my ideas are
                                                                        clearer now..
                                                                        I am no native speaker :)

• 33. Re: kuler stories
                                                                          magrolino Level 1
                                                                          quote:

Originally posted by: Sami Iwata
                                                                          Magrolino, can you describe what mean when you say you aren't sure what the color set will look like? Is it a color management issue?

No, what I meant was the following situation:
                                                                          I download and save a lot of color sets on my pc(s) as color swatch files. After weeks, months ... they probably change online or get difficult to re-find. So I have a look through all the files on my harddisk - but to find out how which set looks like I have to import them set for set into an adobe app. Or I have to use some kind of script to do that - so it takes a lot of time to find a specific color set. Some kind of preview would be nice so I can browse through all my local colorset files (nevertheless exactly this scenario is not really possible for a webapp, i know - but at least some miniapp to flip through local colorset files would be nice).

Sorry for the maybe difficult-to-understand-explanation, I hope my ideas are clearer now..
                                                                          I am no native speaker :)

• 34. Re: kuler stories
                                                                            Baldwick
                                                                            THANK YOU! This tool is marvellous. I am a mechanical engineer doing "functional" web-sites within a factory environment. I am using .net 2.0, AJAX and SQL servers. And kuler makes it all look a little less sad. I introduced my mother to kuler and she thought of color patterns for knitting..... I also do the same kind of work for my wifes web site promoting our dance/aerobics studio and for point-of-sale programming. Color is always interesting/important but a little tricky for mech-minds like myself.
                                                                            • 35. Re: kuler stories
                                                                              baerwald Employee Moderator
                                                                              I'm creating a wedding website and would like to use kuler to apply my wedding colors to my site. I just wish I could login sucessfully.
                                                                              • 36. kuler stories
                                                                                Hello,

Thanks for the recent posts, what a fantastic range of applications!

Baerwald, sorry to hear about your log-in troubles. The authentication problems give us fits on this end but the kuler team can't change that part. We appreciate your patience, and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Sami
                                                                                • 37. Re: kuler stories
                                                                                  hfreeman17
                                                                                  I am getting ideas from kuler to pass along to the designer of my book, due out this spring. I am self-publishing, so I have total artistic control and get to have my say in the jacket design, etc.. Kind of anal that way.
                                                                                  **********
                                                                                  http://surfcountry.blogspot.com/
                                                                                  • 38. Re: kuler stories
                                                                                    Hi, it's not every day we get a post from a country-music-loving surfer. Please tag/title your final color scheme and share it out. We'd love to see it. Add a comment and give us the backstory. :)
                                                                                    Sami
                                                                                    • 39. Re: kuler stories
                                                                                      twinklebunnytoes
                                                                                      I an an artist and I love watching the creativity that people put into creating schemes. I find this very entertaining. I believe all of us have an inner artist and Kuler is a great way for people to express it without the intimidation of paints and canvas.

I picked up one of the themes and am redeveloping my website around it now.

TBT
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next