5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 10:42 AM by Frank Portell

Windows 10, Lightroom, and OneDrive...

Ayapic Level 1

For the last year, I've enjoyed using Lightroom on OneDrive onWin8.x.  With placeholders, it's worked beautifully.  I have 10 terabytes of OneDrive storage and I could easily import into LR, sync with the cloud, and make most of my file available "online only" (until I need them).  I could easily access all my photos and videos via LR from any of my computers.  It was a match made in heaven.  It was a PERFECT combination.

The Windows 10 arrived.

I was eager to upgrade as I always love having the latest and greatest......but then I was shocked to find that Microsoft removed one of its most powerful features -- Placeholders.

If I remain with Win10 (which I may simply go back to 8.1), I will need anew workflow.

Anyone here using Win10 and OneDrive?  Do you have a good workflow for keeping terabytesd of data on OneDrive  but not locally (i.e., I have a 500gb laptop drive)?  I'd love to hear your LR/OneDrive workflow ideas.

Thanks!!

Dan

• 1. Re: Windows 10, Lightroom, and OneDrive...
          Frank Portell Level 1

I have a few workflow ideas for you:

• I think the best solution is just to move ALL of your photos to an external drive.  It's very simple to tell OneDrive a new location and my OneDrive destination is on an external drive.  There are so many options out there for external drives including wireless drives that connect to your wifi network in the event you don't or can't connect a wire.  You also have the added benefit of being able to take your drive to another computer if you ever need to in just seconds.  Go into Lightroom settings and put all your photos and the catalog on the external drive.  For safety, keep a backup copy of your catalog on another drive and/or the cloud. Also, a good idea to manually set a drive letter in Windows for an external drive so it doesn't change if you add more drives.
          • In OneDrive (and I also believe by right clicking on a file or folder) you can tell OneDrive that you only want the file in the cloud and not available locally. Remember you can always manually download a file from OneDrive.com then work on it and then re-upload it manually using a web browser
          • I love Windows 10, and have no problems.  I did the upgrade and all my programs from WIN 8 work.  The only problem I had was that per another forum advice, I had to install a previous version of Quicktime until Apple releases a W10 compatible version (current version won't install). I'm using the Photoshop-Lightroom CC and CS5 and no problems. The new version of Bridge is missing the Output panel so keep your old version of Photoshop if you want to be safe. You can specify that during install.
          • 2. Re: Windows 10, Lightroom, and OneDrive...
            Ayapic Level 1

Unfortunately, you can no longer point to an external drive for your OneDrive directory.  That was one of the other ways Win10 handicapped OneDrive.  Likewise, you can nolonger right click a file and select for it to be online/offline --- that was the placeholder issue I mentioned. MS removed that with 10 because they thought, in part, that people were too dumb to understand it.  This placeholder functionality is what made OneDrive incredible.

I began using OneDrive because I had two massive crashes last year while using external drives.  I lost a lot of data.  I also grew tired of having an endless series of external drives.  I've bought so many USB drives over the years and I'm just tired of them.  They're a mess on my desk and they're annoying to carry around.  That's why a cloud system was awesome....and it seemed especially awesome for photographers and video folks.

I did see a wireless external drive the other day...it looked interesting and I would've considered it over a year ago before I found OneDrive.  However, I picked up a Surface Pro 3 specifically to unchain myself from external drives and gadgets.  For a full year, I was mobile and unencumbered.  It was great

I was really hoping to find a cloud only workflow that didn't involved external drives, network drives, wireless drives, etc.

Thanks!!    

• 3. Re: Windows 10, Lightroom, and OneDrive...
              Frank Portell Level 1

At this moment my onedrive in W10 is pointed to an external drive and working and syncing just fine. Just change the target location for onedrive by right-clicking on it.

Of course you can still use a web browser logged in and just locally download a copy of files you want to work on, then re-upload.

One thing you can do is you can turn-off onedrive syncing entirely for a particular computer, like a tablet for example that doesn't have much capacity.

Speaking of capacity, I believe that Microsoft is still offering 15GB extra storage for life if you install the OneDrive app on your phone.  Just install it, activate it for a day, then you can uninstall it and still have the extra 15GB for life.

Last, I would still recommend the network drive (and  other devices too like a printer) and be sure to subscribe to a backup service.  OneDrive is not a backup service.  If you mess up a file on your computer it will copy that messed up file to the cloud.  A backup service like Carbonite, CrashPlan, Moby, etc. can be set to save everything with unlimited storage and never delete files and keep all versions.  They're very inexpensive subscriptions, particularly for just one computer. CrashPlan doesn't charge extra for external drives, shop around to see which is best for you.  It's cheap CYA insurance and everyone should have it. Your house probably isn't going to be demolished by a tornado or hurricane but once in a while you'll probably screw up a file wishing you had a prior version, problem solved.

• 4. Re: Windows 10, Lightroom, and OneDrive...
                Ayapic Level 1

I'm surprised to hear you're using an external drive with OneDrive under Win10.  I have not tried it but I keep hearing lots of folks complaining that they can't use their SD cards for such things --- so I assumed USB drives would be similar.

Still, I'd VERY much like to avoid getting back into the game of collecting USB drives.  I used to do that.  One day I awoke to see stacks and stacks of such drives on my desk and simply became frustrated.....especially when I had a problem that wound up affecting several of them at once.    That made me look into cloud solutions.

As for OneDrive space, I subscribe to Office 365 which gives me 10 terabytes of OneDrive space (they actually say it's unlimited, but it's marked as 10 tb).  I have close to 1 tb stored on it right now.  My Surface Pro 3 has a 500gb drive (but after OS, software, etc., I only get to play with 300 of it).  300 gb doesn't last very long.

I'm probably just going to be forced to picking up  a wireless Western Digital Passport drive.  They boast 6 hours of nonstop use (like playing movies) and 60 hours of standby time.  I'll just have to start lugging that sort of thing around again.  However, if I'm looking into external drives again, there's simply no longer a need for OneDrive (which I grew to love in Win8.1).  The idea, however, of constantly keeping an external drive in sync seems very daunting as it will be connected, disconnected, connected again, etc. as I travel.....and I don't like the idea of constantly connecting it to other computers.  OneDrive handle this well since all computers could easily access it.  Carrying around yet more tech is clumsy, burdensome, and somewhat risky for theft and damage.

Yeah, I'm a little lost right now.  I had my workflow nailed....but with the new OS, I've travelled back in time 1.5 years and am again asking *exactly* the same questions.  I have no idea     

• 5. Re: Windows 10, Lightroom, and OneDrive...
                  Frank Portell Level 1

I hear you regarding collecting drives.  I look at them as a "service" rather than a device.  When they outlive their useful life due to capacity you can just put them in the drawer taking up very little space or destroy them (sledgehammer or drill works well). Some of the external hard drives also come with or offer their own cloud backup service and/or internet capability allowing you to access them from any internet connection  So before you buy anything, look into various backup services and see whether they will work with an attached external drive or whether it has to be attached via USB, etc.

Yes, W10 works fine with external data drive connected via USB. I don't put program files on that drive so that I can still run the program if the drive isn't attached.  As previously stated, assign a fixed drive letter to the drive (see windows help about renaming a drive, simple process takes about a minute). Be sure to co create a folder for OneDrive on that external drive as I don't think OneDrive can do the whole drive without specifying a folder. Perhaps that is the mistake others have been making.