5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 5:27 PM by maryh82302459

how to make a 2D photo look like 3D

maryh82302459

STANS FOOTedited.jpg

• 1. Re: how to make a 2D photo look like 3D
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So what are you trying to do with that photo? If you want to move around on it and give it some parallax you need to separate the foreground, middle ground and background into layers in Photoshop, then set them up in AE as 3D layers and add a camera and movement. You will have to be careful so that the holes in the 3 plates don't show up. If you mean something else then we need a detailed description and possible a link to an example.

• 2. Re: how to make a 2D photo look like 3D
            maryh82302459 Level 1

I want to send this to a paleontology expert and I can not get a good enough image to show the detail of what I think looks like a bird/reptile's claw/foot.I guess what I am thinking of is a kind of

3D X-ray scan, with medical imagining software.Thank you for the quick answer I will try to get that to work first and go from there.I am a perfume chemist so I am used to my software only(all I have to do is type in a formula and an image appears)Shamelessly easy ,no building required on my part.So this is a whole knew experience,thanks again Rick!!!

maryh82302459 wrote:

STANS FOOTedited.jpg

maryh82302459 wrote:

STANS FOOTedited.jpg

• 3. Re: how to make a 2D photo look like 3D
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Sorry, but your best bet is to send the specimen.

You have a low-resolution 2D picture.  I repeat -- it's low-resolution, and it's 2D.

Yet to identify the specimen by a video file, a paleontologist would require a high-resolution 3D animation, which you would rotate in all three axes of dimension, pausing at significant features on the specimen.

To do that, you need start with the very thing you're asking to replicate -- a high-resolution 3D scan, which can be rotated in all three axes of dimension.

Do you have such a scan?  Nope.

Do you have any hope of obtaining such a scan?  Probably not.

Can you replicate it with ANY degree of success in AE using the materials at your disposal?  Nope.

Do you want to learn dozens of Byzantine techniques inherent in AE just to send a useless video?  My guess is "no".

If you ask me, it's time for Plan B.

• 4. Re: how to make a 2D photo look like 3D
                StormyCPb Level 3

Plan B would be something like this:
                [Photogrammetry] Autodesk 123d Catch - pt.1 - YouTube

(It's going to take quite some time and learning to pull off what I think you need!)

• 5. Re: how to make a 2D photo look like 3D
                  maryh82302459 Level 1

Brilliant!!! Plan B it is!!!

Thank you , kind sir...

❇❇❇❇❇