10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2015 11:59 AM by jopasnyt

Moving folders in Win 7

jopasnyt Level 1

I have a small problem. Trying to move folders from C: to my NAS, \\MYCLOUD\Shared Pictures\. In Windows Explorer it can be seen in two forms:Computer > Public(\\MYCLOUD) (Z) > Shared Pictures and Network > MYCLOUD > Public > Shared Pictures, BUT Lightroom Folders Panel only shows \\MYCLOUD\Public\. How do I add the  \Shared Pictures in the Lightroom Folders Panel ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Moving folders in Win 7
          dj_paige Level 9

The Folder Panel only shows folders from which at least one photo has been imported.

So, if you want to make this particular folder appear in the LR Folder Panel, create a "dummy" photo (you know, take a picture of the inside of your refrigerator) and place it in this folder and import it into LR.

I would like to suggest a better method of performing this move. In your operating system, copy (not move) all of the photos from C: to the NAS as desired. Then, follow these instructions (scroll down to the section entitled "Updating Folder Location"), and once everything is working properly in Lightroom, then go ahead and delete the photos from C:

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Moving folders in Win 7
            jopasnyt Level 1

Thanks

The folder I want to show up under the MYCLOUD\Public\, named Shared Pictures, already has two single jpgs in it and this folder already exists in the operating system. So before I do this I must ask what happens if I delete the MYCLOUD in LR Folder Panel and reexport it do I damage something and wouls that bring it back with the subfolders?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Moving folders in Win 7
              dj_paige Level 9

The folder I want to show up under the MYCLOUD\Public\, named Shared Pictures, already has two single jpgs in it and this folder already exists in the operating system.

Have these photos been imported into Lightroom?

• 4. Re: Moving folders in Win 7
                jopasnyt Level 1

To be onest, I do not know. I stared something which I thaught would be Importing some photos to LR. It started Importing folders in yearly order? After ten folders I interrupted the action.

• 5. Re: Moving folders in Win 7
                  dj_paige Level 9

Well, if the folder doesn't appear in the Folder Panel, then I suspect these photos have not been imported into LR. Try importing them using the ADD option.

• 6. Re: Moving folders in Win 7
                    jopasnyt Level 1

This option does not let me to choose the destination folder?

• 7. Re: Moving folders in Win 7
                      dj_paige Level 9

We're just trying to get the folder to show up in your Folder Panel, so no, you don't get to choose a destination folder, you want the photos to remain in this folder when you import.

• 8. Re: Moving folders in Win 7
                        jopasnyt Level 1

Thanks

My problem here is that I am doing things buy I do not understand the logic behind it. So what I am trying to achive is to Move any image to my External HDD, but the destination Folder (Shared Pictures) is not available to me in LR. It exists in WE. I am confused.

• 9. Re: Moving folders in Win 7
                          dj_paige Level 9

But the problem here is that you are not trying what I have suggested. If you would simply try it, then the folder would appear in Lightroom. It takes less than one minute. As I explained, it won't appear until at least one photo that resides in this folder has been imported.

I also again recommend another method which has fewer difficulties, as I recommended earlier.

I would like to suggest a better method of performing this move. In your operating system, copy (not move) all of the photos from C: to the NAS as desired. Then, follow these instructions (scroll down to the section entitled "Updating Folder Location"), and once everything is working properly in Lightroom, then go ahead and delete the photos from C:

• 10. Re: Moving folders in Win 7
                            jopasnyt Level 1

Thanks

Now I had a new look at my LR and the Shared Pictures folder had appeared with lots of images (thousands), probably those which I transferred before I interrupted. I think I have experience this before with my NAS. It takes a while before the data exported shows up. Anyways we are back to business. I try to manage from here.

Thanks for your patience.