13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 11:06 AM by rosebudd

Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?

rosebudd Level 3

Starting with Doubleclick, which has Build Guides and templates for only one of their Edge published banner solutions, the Rich Media side.

With multiple old threads and no clear delineation between Doubleclick DCM and Doubleclick DCRM, it is like the blind leading the blind on this clickTag (DCM) vs. Studio enabler.js exit clickthrough for Studio hosted and trafficked banner ads (DCRM).

If your banner does not have Rich Media capabilities like expansion, video, dynamic feeds, your zipped file can be uplaoded to DCM with just a minor modification to your published HTML file.

the two different systems however hhave completely different syntax in Edge. One uses enabler.js for exits, and one uses var clickTag

They are not interchangeable.

• 1. Re: Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?
          rosebudd Level 3

I will start.

DCM clickTag btn syntax in Edge

window.open(clickTag, "_blank");

Down level stage backup image clickTag syntax

javascript:window.open(window.clickTag)

In your published HTML file add right before </head>

<script type="text/javascript">

var clickTag = "https://www.google.com";

</script>

Do NOT replace google.com with the actual clickthrough URL, it will be added in DCM. You will zip your published files and AdOps will simply need to upload that zip file to DCM. You can use

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8" src="https://animate.adobe.com/runtime/6.0.0/edge.6.0.0.min.js"></script> in stead of

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8" src="edge_includes/edge.6.0.0.min.js"></script>.

Notice it is htttps not http

DCRM Studio exit syntax in HTML doc

Studio enabler.js (goes after <head> )

<!-- The DoubleClick Studio Enabler must be included before the edge runtime. -->

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8" src="http://s0qa.2mdn.net/ads/studio/Enabler.js"></script>

<!--Adobe Edge Runtime-->

DCRM exit btn syntax in Edge animate

Enabler.exit('Clicked on banner ad');

Because DCRM AKA Studio is Rich Media you can have multiple exit buttons so a second one might say

Enabler.exit('Clicked on Facebook icon');

Studio detects exits and you will be prompted to add your exit URL(s) in the Studio dashboard interface after uploading all your Edge published file assets to Studio

• 2. Re: Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?
            productionArtistChad Level 1

isn't all banners over 40k considered polite load and are rich media ads? doubleclick counts the gif alt as a an asset so lets say your gif alt is 10-15k. that only leaves 25k worth of images. There's not very many ads I make that are under 25k worth of image assets.

This might explain why the ads I passed off to the media company they can't get to click through but the ads I uploaded to the studio work.

• 3. Re: Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?

DCM clickTag btn syntax in Edge

window.open(clickTag, "_blank");

Down level stage backup image clickTag syntax

javascript:window.open(window.clickTag)

So on an invisible button in edge open up the actions and add a "mousedown" action and put this code there window.open(clickTag, "_blank");

I'm not sure what the downlevel stage part you have mentioned is. there's only the option to add a "link Url" or is this something I open up the javascript file and add it?

• 4. Re: Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?
                rosebudd Level 3

It is a click action on your invisible button. Rectangle with 0% opacity. Not Mouse Down. Not sure why, just should be click.

You take a poster image. Then click on Down level stage and drag that poster png to the down level stage. That is where your "javascript:window.open(window.clickTag)" goes. Your AdOps person is still going to be prompted for a backup image. So that poster.png can serve as backup.

As of about 3 weeks ago Doubleclick has added Enhanced Banners to all accounts at no extra charge and the 40K limit which was impossible with HTML5 is waived.

'

Enhanced banner creatives are versatile banner creatives with advanced features. They support unlimited files sizes, click tag reporting labels, and mixed modes (Flash and HTML5). They also allow a polite load image, which appears if there is a delay rendering your primary assets. Enhanced banners are now available in every DCM account for no additional cost. You no longer need to make an additional agreement or pay extra fees.

Extra features in enhanced banners

• Click tag reporting: You can add reporting labels for enhanced banner click tags in DCM. This way you can view clicks on each exit in your Flash and HTML5 assets. Only enhanced banners allow DCM users to add click tag reporting labels for these assets. You can also add reporting labels for your backup asset; flash in-page and HTML5 banners do not allow backup asset reporting labels, but enhanced banners do. Note that for enhanced banner creatives, click tags are only used if you do not specify a click-through URL at the ad level.
                • Unlimited file size for assets: Each DCM account has a file size limit for assets in your creatives. Unlike other creative types, enhanced banner creatives impose no limit.
                • Polite load: Automatically add a polite load asset in DCM. This asset appears if there is a delay in loading your primary assets.
                • Mixed modes (Flash and HTML5): If you upload both Flash and HTML5, the creative automatically delivers Flash whenever a user's browser can't handle HTML5.
                • HTML5 benefits: If your creative uses HTML5, it can benefit from HTML5 features, such as flexible dimensions and support across most browsers and mobile device types.

https://support.google.com/dcm/answer/4558923?vid=1-635751575730737050-1336527880603251030 3

Useful DC links

https://support.google.com/richmedia/answer/3145300?hl=en

• 5. Re: Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?

Thanks for your help

I read up on the enhanced banners when they first announced it but do they use the exit event or the clickTag? I'm just a production artist so all this media stuff is not my realm of expertise.

I have the backup gif in the poser image area but the only option i see there is "link URL" does this code go there "javascript:window.open(window.clickTag)". The actions window is greyed out.

• 6. Re: Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?
                    rosebudd Level 3

NP. I have Rich Media experience and I am Doubleclick Studio certified so I assumed that all HTML5 banners were going to need to run through Doubleclick Studio simply because there were multiple files involved.

We have had Doubleclick nudging us along to prepare, or I would have not known that  HTML5 banners can just be uploaded to DCM. That and my first Edge published banner uploaded to DCM reported no clickTag because it was using enabler.js and exit.

DCM uses var = clickTag

DCRM refers to click throughs as exits and requires enabler.js and upload to Doubleclick studio.

DC is not even aware that they don't have an Edge build guide for DCM because they assumed the 300x250 templae was not Rich Media. If it uses enabler.js it only plays nice with studio.

if it references clickTag it oly plays nice with DCM

To keep my creatives straight I am calling my button layer exit if it is Rich Media for DCRM, and clickTag if it is for DCM.

• 7. Re: Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?

I'm still unclear where this code goes in the down-level "javascript:window.open(window.clickTag)"

The actionsscript area is greyed out and the only place I can see where to put any code is the "link URL"

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 1.41.33 PM.png

• 8. Re: Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?
                        rosebudd Level 3

This just in. I reached out to DC because I am versioning 11 different logos for each of my ad sizes and clearly they can't all be called poster.png.

DCM uses the same logic that Edge does, which is if an ad isn't capable of being rendered, then it will show the image (so not just limited to certain type of browsers, also applies to modern browsers that might have javascript disabled, for example).

DCM requires this since not all creative tools have the option of including a backup image or require it, so it's our safety net to make sure there is one. I would suggest not including that in Edge and uploading in DCM (if you include a static image in the zip for a backup when you upload that file should be selectable in the backup image field instead of having to upload one).

But to answer your question it would have gone in Link URL text input.

i'd rather just version screencaps in PhotoShop so this makes me very happy.

• 9. Re: Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?

ok that works for me I just looked up dcm html5 best practices (I had no idea there was two different systems I've only used the studio) and they say this.

• No backup assets: Do not include backup assets in your HTML5 .zip file unless they are referenced by the HTML file.
                            • The trafficker must upload a separate backup image to DCM. This image is used if DCM cannot use your primary assets because they are not supported. Do not include this backup image with your HTML5 .zip file.

So it looks like we have to zip up everything except the back up gif and then load that separately. Or is this information of theirs old/wrong?

• 10. Re: Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?
                            rosebudd Level 3

Our AdOps person was prompted for the backup even though I had a Poster image in my Edge file. The above was an answer from a Google employee who is our point person for the transition. I am not doing poster moving forward and rellying on DCM to deliver backup. Besides Edge's paster capture is like 80k for a 300x250 because it is PNG.

• 11. Re: Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?
                              rosebudd Level 3

Kick because this did not get pinned.

• 12. Re: Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?
                                charlesg74949590

If anyone is still reading these...I have a question if anyone knows the answer to...

Why can't DCM recognize my clickTags (var clickTag, var clickTag1, var clickTag2) in my HTML5 files if set exaclty like the guides tell you to? Would having how the triggers effect it? For example, my vars are set like normal but I have listeners for "click" on the element IDs which then run the window.open(window.clickTag, '_blank').

Is there anything wrong with coding as such? I have MediaMinds AdOps saying its getting an error of NO clickTags but then I have my own AdOps uploading in DCM with no issues. Both have shown me two different screenshots of them working and not working (same files).

Any suggestions or comments would be helpful. Thanks.

Kind regards.

• 13. Re: Admins can we get an ad platform specific sticky for Edge banners?
                                  rosebudd Level 3

Multiple clickTags need to start with 0

window.open(clickTag0, "_blank"); etc.

script type="text/javascript">

var clickTag0 = "https://www.google.com";

var clickTag1 = "https://www.google.com";

var clickTag2 = "https://www.google.com";

</script