12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 8:56 AM by jhlacy

Layer bars disappearing from layers panel

georgeisgettinupset

Untitled-1.png

I'm having some trouble with AE CS6. In the above screenshot you can see I have a layer selected that's within view of the composition preview window and the layers panel, yet there's no bar/element in the layers panel. You can still see the position keyframes that mark where the layer bar should be in the timeline, approximately. Anyone know what's going on here? Again, the layer is within view, I'm not the stupid

• 1. Re: Layer bars disappearing from layers panel
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try expanding the timeline and see what you see. You're pushed way in.

• 2. Re: Layer bars disappearing from layers panel
            georgeisgettinupset Level 1

Still missing, unfortunately.

BrianUntitled-2.png

• 3. Re: Layer bars disappearing from layers panel
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE are you running? I know you said CS6, but is it version 11.0.4? If not, update.

Also, try clearing all your caches in AE and then restart your computer.

• 4. Re: Layer bars disappearing from layers panel
                jhlacy Level 1

Did you figure out a solution? I"m having this exact same problem all of a sudden.

• 5. Re: Layer bars disappearing from layers panel

jhlacy wrote:

Did you figure out a solution? I"m having this exact same problem all of a sudden.

Same question to you about version of AE. Also, please show us a screenshot of your problem.

• 6. Re: Layer bars disappearing from layers panel
                    jhlacy Level 1

Running CC14 because CC15 is still so glitchy (in my opinion). I ended up opening it in CC15 and saving it then re-opening in 14 and the layers are back. Very odd though. I've got about 1,000 layers in this projects, so maybe it was just overload? Anyway, thanks for trying to help!

• 7. Re: Layer bars disappearing from layers panel

No problem!

Have you tried CC 2015 with the 13.7.x update? It works pretty well for me on both my Mac and Windows machines. (13.7.1 on Windows and 13.7.2 on Mac). I don't even open CC 2014 anymore unless I'm testing something for a forum or Reddit person or trying to render with multiprocessing.

• 8. Re: Layer bars disappearing from layers panel
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1000 + layers is the problem. If you need the 1000 + layers in the 4:45 comp then I'd split the comp into sections. I do these kinds of info graphic animations all the time and seldom have a single comp that covers more then a sentence or two of narration. I discovered long ago that AE is best suited for making shots or short sequences and editing is better left to a NLE.

Just guessing here, but if you are indeed trying to explain something with animated graphics you are going to be able to get things done much faster if you cut up your audio track into sentences or phrases that are no longer than a few seconds then combine those comps and edit them in either a NLE or if you must stay in AE in a new comp comprised of your nested comps. These kinds of projects, especially when you are doing them for a client, always involve changes. Fixing the timing in a comp with a thousand layers can be really time consuming. Sliding around some keyframes or changing out an element in a comp that has 50 layers goes much faster.

• 9. Re: Layer bars disappearing from layers panel
                          jhlacy Level 1

Appreciate all the feedback. I understand that AE is not necessarily designed to handle that many layers in a single comp, but it just works well with my workflow. That being said, CC 2015 freezes up on me all the time and just shows nothing in the composition window for 5 to 10 minutes at a time (see screenshot) when working with "complex" project (either lots of layers or with 3D layers), whereas 2014 still handles them just fine. Really hoping for a 2015/2016 update soon, as I'm frustrated with the current performance. I know Adobe is working hard to improve overall performance, so looking forward to seeing what they come up with to fix some of the current bugs.

Screenshot 2016-06-08 08.23.58.png

• 10. Re: Layer bars disappearing from layers panel
                            jhlacy Level 1

And here is a screenshot of the layers disappearing in the timeline. The highlighted audio layers still play audio as if they are there, but do not display the actual layer bar so I can't move them in the timeline or adjust their in/out points at all.

Screenshot 2016-06-08 08.40.14.png

• 11. Re: Layer bars disappearing from layers panel
                              Dave LaRonde Level 6

It appears that you're trying to use AE as an audio editing application, and that is a VERY BAD idea.  There are far better, more precise audio editing applications.  Adobe Audition comes to mind.

Moreover, you're using mp3's, which compounds your problems.  AE and compressed audio don't play nicely together.  AE performs in a hit-or-miss fashion with just one layer of compressed audio.  You have many, so your chances of erratic behavior -- either audio OR video -- can only go up.

Finally, AE is perhaps the planet's worst audio application.  It really sucks.  But then, it was built for video, and any audio effects are simply afterthoughts.

Learn how to use Audition.  It isn't hard.  Export a wav or aiff file from it for use in AE.  Your life should get better.

• 12. Re: Layer bars disappearing from layers panel
                                jhlacy Level 1

Hi Dave, appreciate the response. I use Audition all the time and love it, but the workflow is not ideal in this case. I work on 5-15 minute motion graphics pieces and when the VO is too quick or too slow for the animation it just makes more sense to duplicate the layer and adjust in/out points in AE, as opposed to doing it outside of the application. You may disagree with tis solution, but I've been working in Adobe products for a while now and have found this to be the only workable way of getting projects done in a timely manner. That being said, when I project is near completion and I'm happy with the timing of the edited audio, I will render out just the audio tracks, give it a final once over in Audition and bring it back in as a singular AIFF or WAV file.

Again, fully respect and appreciate your advice, but it's not applicable in my case. This also does not get to the root of the bug, as to why layers are actually disappearing. It's not just audio layers either, it happens with solids, adjustments, footage, etc.