1 2 Previous Next 68 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 10:54 PM by RorohikoKris

How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

Shaunre

Hey guys I'm having a big problem after using indesign's find/change tool on some fills and strokes. I believe this is a bug, as I told the tool to replace a certain color with an existing swatch, which is a spot version of the magenta plate. It may be confusing as to why I did this, but it is completely necessary for the way we process these particular documents.

Anyway the problem is that instead of being changed to the proper swatch, the color went under the magenta plate, and I cannot seem to figure out how to get it out of there and back into my proper swatch. Any help would be much appreciated. Hopefully there's a simple solution that doesn't involve script use but I've also asked the indesign scripting section in case a script is necessary.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Seems to be working for me. Here I'm searching for a process color swatch named MagentaProcess and replacing with a spot swatch named MegentaSpot:

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 2.36.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 2.36.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 2.36.38 PM.png

• 2. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
            Shaunre Level 1

What happens when you click the eyeball for the Magentaspot in your separations preview? Are you sure the fill is actually under your magentaspot swatch?

EDIT: Also i just realized that if you make a swatch that is magenta and process, it will not show up under the find section. How did you make yours show up there?

• 3. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

Also i just realized that if you make a swatch that is magenta and process, it will not show up under the find section.

You cannot name a new swatch Magenta—Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, & Registration are reserved names. If you have a color fill that is not from a swatch (like 0|100|0|0), it is an unnamed color. In that case you can choose Add Unnamed Colors from the Swatches menu and they will be added to the swatches list. From there you can do the find and change to the desired spot color.

• 4. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
                Shaunre Level 1

Ok, I'm able to get the magentaprocess like you had under the find fill, but I'm really confused now though, because when I hit find it said "cannot find match" despite there being loads of process magenta in the document. It's set to search the entire document and all frames. Is there really no easy way to target the magenta plate? It seems like it should be pretty simple cut the info from that plate, and move it to a different swatch. I'm completely baffled that it's not.

• 5. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

Are the fills you are searching for using the swatch you are searching for?

In this case the top fill is the CMYK color 0|100|0|0 (the fill isn't from a swatch) and the bottom fill is 100% of the swatch MagentaProcess. My search will find the bottom frame but not the top:

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 4.12.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-01 at 4.12.38 PM.png

• 6. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

If I choose Add Unnamed Swatches the bottom fill will be added as a swatch and I can search for it (C=0 M=100 Y=0 K=0)

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 4.16.38 PM.png

• 7. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
                      Shaunre Level 1

Oh, I see now. No, they don't use the swatch. I was thinking maybe the find section would take the swatch and look for any fill that matched the attributes of the swatch (process, 0|100|0|0) and not just originate from the swatch.

What they really need is an option to use the swatch attributes and not strictly the swatch. That would also be useful in preventing the tool from ignoring the swatch I want to change to and assuming I wanted it to be under the main magenta plate.

Any idea how to work around this issue for now?

• 8. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

Any idea how to work around this issue for now?

Use the Add Unnamed Swatch feature as I suggested. It can also be scripted.

• 9. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
                          Shaunre Level 1

It doesn't work though.

I think we still have different setups. When you select "add unused swatch" does it start as green? (C=36 M=12 Y=79 K=31) I should have mentioned that before, but I thought I could just edit it and make it look like the magenta process you had and get it to work just the same.

I'll give you more details on the  steps I took when attempting to change to the spot magenta swatch.

Many items in the document have a swatch applied that is a 100% cyan spot color, called PRIMARY. I selected this swatch under find, and then under change I selected my spot magenta swatch, called SECONDARY. Make the change and you should see that the PRIMARY swatch is ignored if you go to your separations preview and toggle the spot swatch on and off. Then try adding the unamed swatch and i bet it will be green.

• 10. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

When you select "add unused swatch" does it start as green? (C=36 M=12 Y=79 K=31)

Then try adding the unamed swatch and i bet it will be green.

The menu item is Add Unnamed Colors. When you choose it every color in the document that isn't saved as a spot or process swatch is added to the Swatches panel named with its color values. So if you get a swatch named C=36 M=12 Y=79 K=31 there was a fill or stroke somewhere in the doc with those color values.

So what do you want to do with the object that is filled with C=36 M=12 Y=79 K=31?

• 11. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

Here I have 1 swatch and 4 fills with various colors none of which are swatches. If i choose Add Unnamed Colors the 4 color get added to the Swatches panel

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 5.21.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 5.21.45 PM.png

If I want to replace all of the instances of C=0 M=100 Y=0 K=0 with the spot I can simply delete it and choose MyMagentaSpot on the replace prompt. Don't need find and change

• 12. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
                                Shaunre Level 1

Sorry, that's what I meant, "add unamed colors".

So this must be a bug. That green color does not exist anywhere. The document is in two colors, but it started as one, that Cyan spot color. Then I brought in the SECONDARY from another document and then used the find/change tool and changed certain cyan objects to be the secondary.

Did you try and see what happens when you change the cyan with magenta (primary to secondary) via find/change? I see the adding unamed colors works for you but i'm curious if the same is true for using the find/change

• 13. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

That green color does not exist anywhere

It could exist but you're not seeing it—in a style sheet or applied to white space.

Here I have an empty page, but the doc has a paragraph style with an unnamed color. So:

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 6.30.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 6.30.18 PM.png

If the fill colors you are trying to find and change are spots then there shouldn't be a problem—spots can only be defined as swatches. I was assuming you had fills somewhere that were not swatches that you wanted to pick up in the find. So you would have to do the Add Unnamed Colors before you start searching and replace the unnamed colors.

But you should be able to do it without searching. Just Add Unnamed Colors then delete the colors you want to convert to the Secondary spot swatch. When you delete, choose Secondary when prompted for a replacement.

If you want to post an example I'll take a look.

• 14. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
                                    Shaunre Level 1

Ohh, ok that's good to know. I guess that's not a bug then.

But for the primary to secondary change I think there's still some confusion about what exactly is happening in my document after I do this.

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 3.38.06 PM.png

Those bottom two colors should be the only colors in the document, but the Magenta plate has trapped what should be in the secondary. Adding unamed swatches does not return the Magenta colors into the swatches. If there is any way to trick the program into doing this I would consider that a perfect solution as then I could easily delete and replace that like you mentioned earlier. Let me know if anything is unclear.

• 15. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

Those bottom two colors should be the only colors in the document,

In InDesign color is an object not document attribute—there can be a mix of RGB, CMYK, Lab, Grayscale, and Spot colored objects on a page. You can make a document that doesn't use the CMYK plates, but Separation Preview always shows the blank CMYK separations.

You can create a preflight rule that will show any objects that are not spot colors.

• 16. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

So a doc with 2 spots. On the page a frame filled with PRIMARY and another with an unnamed CMYK fill:

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.43.55 PM.png

Add Unnamed Colors brings the unnamed fill into the Swatches panel:

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.44.07 PM.png

Delete PRIMARY and the added swatch, replace with SECONDARY:

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.44.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.44.40 PM.png

Hide the CMYK plates

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.44.53 PM.png

Hide the SECONDARY spot plate

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.45.00 PM.png

• 17. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
                                          Shaunre Level 1

Not sure if the preflight rule will help. There must be a simple way to transfer color from the magenta plate to my spot one. I tried before what you demo'd with the adding the swatch from a selected object but it only works on what was selected... doesn't make sense right? Even though other objects have the same fill% and everything it only fixes the selected object.

• 18. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

Add Unnamed Colors works on the document not the selection. I think you'll have to post an example page via Dropbox or some other service.

There must be a simple way to transfer color from the magenta plate to my spot one.

If you are trying to move the magenta component of a color with CYK values to the spot plate that can't be done easily--you would have to build Mixed Inks with the CYK+Spot percentages.

• 19. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
                                              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Shaunre,

can you export one critical page to PDF/X-4 and show us the Output Preview Panel in Acrobat Pro?
                                              What would also help is creating an "Inventory" of that PDF by using Acrobat Pro's Preflight/Create Inventory… command.

The inventory should list all used colors and objects in detail.

Uwe

• 20. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
                                                Shaunre Level 1

Oops, I misread the part where you said to add unamed swatch. I thought you said to select the "add to swatches" option. Adding unamed swatches only brings in that green color. It does not add the magenta.

The magenta color I'm trying to move only uses the magenta plate. It doesn't use CYK values

EDIT: here is a sample document

Just contains a couple of filled frames

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2hfUIk_jTvaTWpJcnZUUDdhMVk/view?usp=sharing

• 21. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
                                                  Shaunre Level 1

Sure, here's the output preview panel

Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 10.26.10 AM.png

And I'm guessing this is what you want from the create inventory result

Trapping: "False"

PDF/X Version: "PDF/X-4"

Number of plates: 2

Names of plates: "(Magenta) (PRIMARY) "

• 22. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

What is your version of InDesign?
                                                    What OS?

Maybe this is something for you:

DTP Tools - Blatner Tools for Adobe InDesign

Blatner Tools for InDesign Tutorial 2: Find and replace colors - YouTube

You can download a 14 days trial.

Uwe

• 23. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

I inspected your document.

You are using the built in CMYK color named "Magenta" with a tint of 15 %.

Do not confuse this "Magenta" with the swatch named "C=0 M=100 Y=0 K= 0".

"Magenta" will not be revealed using "Add unnamed swatch" from the Swatches Panel.

You are on InDesign CS6 v8.0.2 on Mac OSX.

So the Blattner Tools by DTP Tools could be the right plugin to solve your problem.

PS: What you could do without using any extra tools at all, but you have to be careful, is:

Export the document to IDML, navigate to the XML representation of your page contents and exchange all the occurences of the name "Magenta" with the color name "SECONDARY". The problem here is to find the right tool for that manipulation.

I would do it with "Springy" on Mac OSX 10.7.5, but I don't know if "Springy" is available on your Mac OSX 10.9.4.

PPS: One of my answers showing some links is "currently moderated".

I asked for your version of InDesign and OS. I already found the answer in your provided document.

Uwe

• 24. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

I did just that, exported your sample document to IDML, opened it with "Springy", the contents of the IDML is revealed there and I could identify the "Magenta" filled rectangle in Spreads/Spread_uc6.xml :

<Rectangle Self="udd" ContentType="Unassigned" StoryTitle="$ID/" ParentInterfaceChangeCount=""
                                                        TargetInterfaceChangeCount="" LastUpdatedInterfaceChangeCount="" OverriddenPageItemProps=""
                                                        HorizontalLayoutConstraints="FlexibleDimension FixedDimension FlexibleDimension"
                                                        VerticalLayoutConstraints="FlexibleDimension FixedDimension FlexibleDimension" FillColor="Color/Magenta"
                                                        FillTint="15" OverprintFill="false" CornerRadius="12" StrokeWeight="1" MiterLimit="4" EndCap="ButtEndCap"
                                                        EndJoin="MiterEndJoin" StrokeType="StrokeStyle/$ID/Solid" LeftLineEnd="None" RightLineEnd="None"
                                                        StrokeColor="Swatch/None" StrokeTint="-1" GradientFillStart="0 0" GradientFillLength="0" GradientFillAngle="0"
                                                        GradientStrokeStart="0 0" GradientStrokeLength="0" GradientStrokeAngle="0" GapColor="Swatch/None" GapTint="-1"
                                                        StrokeAlignment="CenterAlignment" Nonprinting="false" ItemLayer="uc3" Locked="false" LocalDisplaySetting="Default"
                                                        GradientFillHiliteLength="0" GradientFillHiliteAngle="0" GradientStrokeHiliteLength="0"
                                                        GradientStrokeHiliteAngle="0" AppliedObjectStyle="n" CornerOption="None" Visible="true" Name="$ID/"
                                                        TopLeftCornerOption="None" TopRightCornerOption="None" BottomLeftCornerOption="None"
                                                        BottomRightCornerOption="None" TopLeftCornerRadius="12" TopRightCornerRadius="12" BottomLeftCornerRadius="12"
                                                        BottomRightCornerRadius="12" ItemTransform="0.909 0 0 0.909 35.65772727272726 -133.1938069140097" Observers=""
                                                        Subjects="" DisplayErrorDialogs="false" EventFilter="" JavaScript="" SubjectScriptTagFilter="" UseDebugger="false"
                                                        CompactedDataStore="" ComponentId="">

In line 04 of the code you can see FillColor="Color/Magenta".

With the help of Springy's function "Edit with…" I could open the XML file with a standard text editor like TextWrangler and changed "Magenta" to "SECONDARY".

Saved, closed the IDML file and opened it in InDesign CS6:

Screenshot-Magenta-To-SECONDARY.png

You can download my edited IDML file from my Drropbox account:

Dropbox - Sample-EDITED.idml

Uwe

• 25. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

You are using the built in CMYK color named "Magenta" with a tint of 15 %.

Do not confuse this "Magenta" with the swatch named "C=0 M=100 Y=0 K= 0".

Uwe, I've never seen this before.

In the GUI the fill tint is only available for a swatch color right? How would anyone adjust the tint of this non swatch color using the UI? I know we could do it via scripting, so it makes me think tint was applied via a script. If I adjust the fill color in any way (i.e. add 1% yellow) the fill tint reverts to 100%.

If the tint was applied via scripting, a script might be needed to fix the problem—get every unnamed color fill that has a tint applied, set the tint back to 100, and apply the percentage to the 4 color components.

• 26. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

Hi Rob,
                                                            I also wondered how this fill was made.

Yes, scripting is an explanation.

Others? Hm. Using the Color Picker perhaps? (just a guess)

Changing all the fills where "Magenta" is applied could be done by scripting.

But the OP's layout could be more complex. So writing a script that will catch all issues reliably could take its time (together with a lot of testing).

Changing the IDML file could be done more quickly perhaps.

Using TextWrangler or BBEdit in conjunction with Springy (or maybe Oxygene) and doing a search/replace could be faster.

Uwe

• 27. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

Btw. The fill color is *not* unnamed. It's name is "Magenta".

I read out all relevant property/value pairs of the filled rectangle at the left in the sample document:

//ExtendScript (JavaScript)
                                                              //Rectangle of Sample.indd selected:

var myFillColor = app.selection[0].fillColor;
                                                              var myFillTint = app.selection[0].fillTint;

for(x in myFillColor){

$.writeln(x+"\t"+myFillColor[x]);

};

$.writeln("myFillTint:"+"\t"+myFillTint);

/*

RESULTS:

model    1886548851 // ColorModel.PROCESS
                                                              space    1129142603 // ColorSpace.CMYK
                                                              colorValue    0,100,0,0
                                                              name    Magenta
                                                              id    13 // could be different depending on your version of InDesign and number of docs open
                                                              label    
                                                              isValid    true
                                                              parent    [object Document]
                                                              index    2
                                                              properties    [object Object]
                                                              events    [object Events]
                                                              eventListeners    [object EventListeners]
                                                              isValid    true

myFillTint:    15 // In percent

*/

Uwe

• 28. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

Others? Hm. Using the Color Picker perhaps? (just a guess)

I can't see how using the color picker, but maybe a pasted object?

The curious thing is if I get the color properties of the box via a script the color has no name (""), but if I run a script looking for fill with no name and a percentage less than 100, nothing gets found. If I look for the color "Magenta" it works. So:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

repeat with x in every page item of active document

if name of fill color of x is "Magenta" and fill tint of x is less than 100 then

set fill color of x to "PRIMARY"

end if

end repeat

end tell

You're if we are looking for text, strokes and tables it gets more involved.

• 29. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

Btw. The fill color is *not* unnamed. It's name is "Magenta".

Yes, I checked again and AppleScript has it as "Magenta" also.

• 30. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

Usually with named colors, that can be removed, you could exchange one color for another one existing with method remove() and providing an argument to the method.

That would be easy. But in this case "Magenta" is built in and cannot be removed (and exchanged) this way.

The following snippet will throw an error:

// ExtendScript:
                                                                    try{
                                                                    app.documents[0].colors.itemByName("Magenta").remove(app.documents[0].colors.itemByName("SECONDARY"));
                                                                    }catch(e){$.writeln(e.message)};

//RESULT: Error message "This color cannot be removed"

So I think, the best bet is to edit an IDML exported.
                                                                    (I did not install and test the Blatner Tools mentioned in my post above)

Uwe

• 31. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
                                                                      Shaunre Level 1

Well I can't seem to get necessary permission right now to install Blatner's tool, which is a shame because that seemed to like the best solution. The other features seem very useful as well.

I tried to open the file's code without springy, and just using text wrangler. I didn't realize that there were a bunch of other files within the idml. All the text that you replaced appears the be in the graphic.xml, is that the only place I need to make edits? I tried to save and see for myself but it tells me I have to save it first, but I get an error when trying to save: "File not found (MacOS Error code: -43)"

Do you know what this is? Is there's another way to edit the idml?

It's good to know that there is a way to fix it though, thanks for looking into this.

• 32. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
                                                                        Shaunre Level 1

I thought the fill was made in error. Remember, my document started out as only using the Primary spot color. I used the find/change tool to change certain elements to the secondary fill. It wasn't until after doing this that I realized it tricked me- it changed everything to Magenta instead.

• 33. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

I cannot tell if Blatner Tools is seeing the "Magenta" color at all. Maybe not.

On Mac OSX there is no problem opening the IDML package. Just rename it with suffix *.zip and extract the zip archive.

The problem is to package it again the proper way. Simply compressing by using the Finder command will not do perhaps. It would get zipped, you could rename it to IDML, but InDesign could have problems to read, open and interpret it to a InDesign document file.

So it would be best to find an editor for zip files that could open IDML without extracting it.
                                                                          Springy is such a tool.

Uwe

• 34. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
                                                                            Shaunre Level 1

Oh ok. I won't bother with it in that case.

And no script can replace the Magenta with my secondary?

I can't seem to unarchive the file like you describe. It just makes a cpgz file. Also I tried to use Springy but it doesn't appear to work. Opens a terminal window and I dropped in my idml file and hit enter and it says permission denied.

• 35. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

Sorry, I forgot, that I "sometimes" use the free Stuffit Expander for decompressing, if I just want to have a look inside of an IDML renamed with a *zip suffix.

If you are using the OSX command, you'll get: Sample.idml.zip.cpgz

But Rorohikos' free eCanCrusher for decompressing and recompressing could be more useful when it comes to assemble all the pieces to a new IDML file:

http://www.docdataflow.com/ecancrusher/

Unzip the downloaded eCanCrusherMac.1.1.3.zip

Double-click eCanCrusher.app to get the preferences.

Change them to not overwrite anything (best option, I think)

Note: Before doing the following create the color named "SECONDARY" in your InDesign document.

Then export to IDML.

1. Rename your idml file to: Sample.idml.epub

2. Drag the file to eCanCrusher.app

A folder will be created showing the folder/file structure of the idml file.

Edit its contents with a text editor in text-only mode.

In case of your sample:

Spreads/Spread_uc6.xml

3. Drag the folder to eCanCrusher.app

A file with the suffix epub will created.

4. Rename the file with suffix *idml

Open the edited idml file in InDesign.

Uwe

• 36. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

To my knowledge you cannot change "Magenta" to "SECONDARY" using ExtendScript (JavaScript) directly.

Indirectly you could, if you mimic the editing process I suggested with an IDML file.

Uwe

• 37. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

You said:

"I thought the fill was made in error. Remember, my document started out as only using the Primary spot color. I used the find/change tool to change certain elements to the secondary fill. It wasn't until after doing this that I realized it tricked me- it changed everything to Magenta instead."

What I really want to know: How did you do that exactly?

Can you recreate the case and give me a step-by-step description?

That could be useful for all readers here. As a sample for a pitfall, a sample for bad practice.

By scripting it is easy:

//Create new document:
                                                                                  var myDoc = app.documents.add();

//Create new rectangle:
                                                                                  myDoc.rectangles.add
                                                                                      (
                                                                                          {
                                                                                              // create a square 100 x 100 mm :
                                                                                              geometricBounds : [0,0,"100mm","100mm"] ,

// apply the fill color "Magenta" :
                                                                                              fillColor : "Magenta" ,

// apply the fill tint 15 (value as percentage) :
                                                                                              fillTint : 15
                                                                                          }
                                                                                      );

Or, if you have a rectangle selected:

app.selection[0].properties =
                                                                                      {
                                                                                          fillColor : "Magenta" ,
                                                                                          fillTint : 15
                                                                                      };

Btw.: The same goes with special color names "Cyan" and "Yellow".

Not so with: "Paper", "Black", "None" and "Registration".

These colors will be associated with the ones in the Swatches Panel:

"[Paper]", "[Black]", "[None]" and "[Registration]"

Uwe

• 38. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?
                                                                                    Shaunre Level 1

That's so strange it's not easy. Why are these plates so restrictive? we should be able to tell the program: move all color from this plate to another one. Anyway when we get into the file's code it's quite simple- like you demonstrated it's just a matter of replacing all instances of (in my case) FillColor="Color/Magenta" to FillColor="Color/SECONDARY"  It completely baffles me that it's not that simple with a script or even in the normal tools.

Anyway,

So how I got my colors there in the first place?

Started out with a document that was 1 color- the primary (100% cyan) like I mentioned earlier. Then I brought in my secondary swatch (100% magenta)

I then used the find/change tool to find certain objects that use the primary fill to about 30% and in some cases a stroke of 100% The documents use the primary color with various tints but there are certain objects that must be made the secondary color and fortunately the tints and other attributes like miter limits allow the find/change tool to be great use for targeting these items and changing their colors quickly.  (however I might point out an issue with the corner effects- I haven't had any success with these- despite my best efforts to matching them with existing items. Baffled again).

Then for the change end, I had the secondary color be applied. But after applying the change this is where the big problem is can be found. That the secondary swatch is ignored. The only thing that it does is take the CMYK values and preserves the initial tint (unless of course I tell it to be 100%)

The find/change tool is great for giving the option to either preserve the starting tints or changing it to something else. In the sample document I gave you, that was a case where it was preserved. However even when changing to 100% secondary it will still fall under the magenta plate. I'm almost certain that the find/change tool is in need of a patch (unless it's been patched already). I use CS6 v8.01.

• 39. Re: How can I move info from a 4cp seperation into a spot separation?

You said:

"That's so strange it's not easy. Why are these plates so restrictive? we should be able to tell the program: move all color from this plate to another one."

Maybe the developers should give access to "Cyan", "Magenta" and "Yellow" by adding three new "swatches" (in fact they are colors, the name "swatch" is a bit misleading in the technical sense) by revealing them as none-removable in the Swatches Panel? :

[Cyan]
                                                                                      [Magenta]
                                                                                      [Yellow]

So the find/change functionlity, that seems to have its issues as you found out, can access them.

You said you started out with "1 color- the primary (100% cyan)".
                                                                                      What does this exactly mean?

A swatch you had created named: "C=100 M=0 Y=0 K=0"? Named differntly?
                                                                                      As a spot color?
                                                                                      As a process color?

Uwe

1 2 Previous Next