• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am installing CS5.5 as I bought a new Mac. I downloaded the software but the install wizard says invalid serial number even though it is the one from my Adobe ID > products screen. What's wrong?

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought this through my college in 2011 and now want to install the software on my new Mac. I copied the software serial number directly from my Adobe ID login. What am I doing wrong. (BTW I called Adobe phone support and got hung up the first time after waiting 20 minutes. The second time the rep told me CS is only support through "chat". A web discussion board is not "chat".)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

If you only have the one installation activated then you can probably avoid deactivating the one you currently have.  You would be getting a message regarding exceeding the activations if that was a problem.

If the school provided this software as part of some special offer you might want to check with them.  In some cases the special offers are limited and the license does not last forever.  If you paid the full student price then that should not be the case.

Since it seems you have not tried tha

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error "The serial number is not valid for this product" | Creative Suite

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-serial-number-valid-product.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ned. I went to that page prior to posting my question. I don't see that any of the exceptions apply to my situation. However, I am wondering if I need to deactivate the license on my old computer first. I read that I should be able to install on two computers with that one license but I've tried everything else. I'm concerned that if I deactivate on my old computer and the new install STILL doesn't work that I won't be able to re-activate my on my old computer, which would be bad, bad, bad. (I have to have at least one working version of this software.) And of course Adobe doesn't support this version from their call centers so I don't have anybody I can call there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you only have the one installation activated then you can probably avoid deactivating the one you currently have.  You would be getting a message regarding exceeding the activations if that was a problem.

If the school provided this software as part of some special offer you might want to check with them.  In some cases the special offers are limited and the license does not last forever.  If you paid the full student price then that should not be the case.

Since it seems you have not tried that chat option you should give that a go - see below.  Be patient and try to remain calm/friendly and they might be receptive to helping instead of throwing you back to the forum.  They do have the ability to help, but sometimes they opt not to.

For the link below click the Still Need Help? option in the blue area at the bottom and choose the chat option...
Make sure you are logged in to the Adobe site, have cookies enabled, clear your cookie cache.  If it fails to connect try using a different browser.

Serial number and activation chat support (non-CC)
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?step=PHSP-PHXS_downloading-installing-setting-up_licensing-acti...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines