4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 5:29 AM by dj_paige

Printing question - am I tossing out some megapixels?

stan2

I have an image file that has a 16x9 format.  I'd like to print it about 8x4.5 and for that, the commercial print shop wants me to put it into a more 'std' format, like 8x10.  When I export the image from LR5 to jpeg file, it shows up as about 7mp.  But when I put it in the 8x10 jpeg save via the print module, it's just 2.2mp. That file has a lot of white around the image.  I don't want to down rez the image.  How can I know I'm saving the best file to send to the printer? (MPIX, for what that's worth).  I'm a total rookie with the print module, other than watching several instructional vids as I work my way thru this.  Thanks for any clarification! 

• 1. Re: Printing question - am I tossing out some megapixels?
          dj_paige Level 9

Your exports are not 7mp or 2.2mp. They are megaBytes, not megaPixels.

You lose no pixels whne you export with "Resize to Fit" unchecked. The megaBytes are meaningless and misleading, do not look at that number of megaBytes.

The best procedure for printing is to crop to the desired aspect ratio (for example 8x10 or 16x9) and then export the photo with "Resize to Fit" unchecked. This gives you every pixel within the crop area. No pixels are lost within the crop area. This is the highest quality you can get for printing.

• 2. Re: Printing question - am I tossing out some megapixels?
            Bob Somrak Level 5

I would recommend dumping this print shop and find a professional one that will print to your specifications or at least print an 8X4.5 file on an 8x10 paper without you having to jump through a bunch of hoops to provide a different file.

• 3. Re: Printing question - am I tossing out some megapixels?
              stan2 Level 1

thanks you two...  yeah, I don't know why I said megapixels vs mb..  sheesh. 

here's what the print company I've been using says: 

"Our printers will only print to the aspect ratio of our standard print sizes. You will need to crop your image to our standard sizes before uploading to ensure the correct cropping is done. If you have images that are not sized to our standard print sizes you will have to place them on a canvas in Photoshop to get the desired sizes. Example: a 9x12 image would be placed on an 11x14 canvas (white border) in Photoshop to get the custom print size."

in doing that, the resulting file is about ⅓ size (in MB) of the cropped image when exported without the border.  I suppose I can look around for a different print shop for odd shapes. 

• 4. Re: Printing question - am I tossing out some megapixels?
                dj_paige Level 9

in doing that, the resulting file is about ⅓ size (in MB) of the cropped image when exported without the border.

I'll keep saying this: The megaBytes are meaningless and misleading, do not look at that number of megaBytes.