7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2015 6:52 PM by josepht84750300

LR not saving edits?

josepht84750300

I spent many days processing images from a 2.5 week trip, including editing, keywording, placing into collections, etc.  I open LR today and all my images are present in their file folders but all edits are gone.  Only original DNG files are present.  No edits.  No keywords.  No images in collections.  What gives?  This is the second time this has happened to me and has been a tremendous waste of time.  Though I I know you can elect to save edits as seperate XMP sidecar files, that's not a good solution for me.  Not having sidecar files was a big reason why I switched from a PS/Bridge workflow to LR. 

• 1. Re: LR not saving edits?
          dj_paige Level 9

Sounds like you might have opened the wrong catalog file. Use File->Open Recent and select each catalog file listed there.

• 2. Re: LR not saving edits?
            Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional
            Though I I know you can elect to save edits as seperate XMP sidecar files, that's not a good solution for me.  Not having sidecar files was a big reason why I switched from a PS/Bridge workflow to LR.

Sidecar files are only produced for proprietary raw files. With dng files, the xmp is written to the file's header.

• 3. Re: LR not saving edits?
              dj_paige Level 9

Sidecar files are only produced for proprietary raw files. With dng files, the xmp is written to the file's header.

I either case, this does not happen by default. The user has to specifically instruct Lightroom to write this information. Sounds like the original poster doesn't want this information stored in XMP files or in the DNG file and so probably didn't instruct Lightroom to do these saves.

• 4. Re: LR not saving edits?
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional
                this does not happen by default

Yes, I should have made that clear, although the OP seemed to be aware of it.

But he was concerned about the inconvenience of having sidecar files, which would not be a problem, since he is working with dng files.

• 5. Re: LR not saving edits?
                  josepht84750300 Level 1

Thanks all, but still no solution here.  When I try to open a new catalog my only options are catalogs for older versions of LR (LR 4 and 5).  Still no explanation for why my all my edits are gone or where they have gone to!?!

• 6. Re: LR not saving edits?
                    dj_paige Level 9

My specific recommendation was to use File->Open Recent, not open a new catalog. Did you try that? Also, you can use your operating system to search for all catalogs (their name ends with .LRCAT) on all hard disks and try opening each one until you find the one that contains your edits.

• 7. Re: LR not saving edits?
                      josepht84750300 Level 1

Sorry that my response was confusing (I didn't actually attempt a new catalog, though that is what I typed).  I followed your initial suggested (File->Open Recent) with only options to open catalogs from older versions of LR plus my current catalog (I have never intentionally created a new catalog either - I always work out of the same one).  I also did the hard drive search that you suggested, with the same results.  So it doesn't appear that I'm working in a different catalog than the one where I made all the edits.