4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 8:07 PM by tonyjames

alignment issue when text wrap added

tonyjames

I am creating text boxes with numbered titles. The sequencial numbers are generated using a Numbering Style. Then I add icons in graphic boxes and add a text wrap. The first column has no problems. The second column also no problems and without an icon box. In the third column, the title number is supposed to be centered, but because I added the text wrapped icons. I can't get the number to center. Whether there are 3 icons or 1, that text box doesn't center the number, WHY?

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 11.34.30 PM.png

• 1. Re: alignment issue when text wrap added
          Doc Maik Level 4

You mean if you remove the objects from column three, the headline will jump back to center? Can hardly believe that.

The style for the headline is a different one that for the rest, it must not be affected by the icons.

If you still cannot get it the right way, some workarounds:

1. Put a right margin of icon size + 2mm perhaps to those paragraphs where you want to place an icon or

2. Create a table without cell borders and put the text in one column and the icons in the other (nicer looking alignment)

• 2. Re: alignment issue when text wrap added
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Tony,

what is the exact version of your InDesign?
            What version of OS?

Note: I have never seen this issue, but it might be sneeked in the last versions of InDesign…
            Would it go away, if the text frame is not overset?

Uwe

• 3. Re: alignment issue when text wrap added
              tonyjames Level 1

The headline won't jump back immediately. If I copy and paste the text into a new box. The Paragraph style with numbering style is correctly centered, with bullet text following. Then I move 1, 2 or all 3 icons into place, to the right side of the column, and that is when the headline number mis-aligns. Doesn't matter if the icons are in front or behind. Doesn't matter if the they are on different layers. No idea why it only affects the Paragraph style. I will add a right margin, since I can't figure this problem out.

• 4. Re: alignment issue when text wrap added
                tonyjames Level 1

I am running InDesign CC, all updates are up to date.

The overset text is not an issue. The mis-aligning still happens if I open the box or link to another text box.