5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 7:11 PM by Bill Gehrke

Son going to uni, will this spec work with Premiere Pro CC

As above my son is going to uni to study media and needs a laptop that will run Premiere Pro CC, after reading the spec required and recommended I believe the below spec is at the recommended end of the scale and that the graphics card is on the list of supported ones.

I did ring and ask Adobe but they kept repeated the two processors listed on the spec list and would not give a clear answer. Surely we are not limited to those two processors alone? My research has said the the phenom ii is on par with the AMD A8 and in some instances the AMD A8 Actually come out on top.

The full spec of the laptop we are looking at is below

• AMD A8-6410 Quad Core Processor
      • 15.6" HD Screen
      • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
      • 8GB DDR3 RAM
      • 1000GB HDD
      • DVD Rewriter
      • Dedicated AMD Radeon R7 M260 2GB Graphics
      • USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth
      • Beats Audio Speakers

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Son going to uni, will this spec work with Premiere Pro CC
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Due to firmware commands that are not implemented the same, I have read that an Intel CPU is better than AMD for Premiere Pro

Is that hard drive the required 7200rpm or is it 5400rpm?

Better would be an SSD (128gig minimum) for Windows and all software and a separate hard drive for projects and media

Laptop Video Editing PC - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1369220?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Son going to uni, will this spec work with Premiere Pro CC
            cc_merchant Level 4

Immediately forget about that system. It is woefully inadequate. AMD CPU is a curse, the screen may not be 1920x1080 resolution, a single HDD is a disaster, the DVD is worthless, there is not enough memory, the video card is inadequate, etc.The Adobe minimum requirements are only meant to mean, you can install the software on such a machine. To use the software it quite another matter and Adobe does not want to advertise those specs, because their potential market would decrease significantly and scare off a lot of people.

Realisticallly, you need at least a quad core i7 CPU and 16+ GB memory and two internal SSD's and a full HD screen and a good nVidia 9xx video card.

See Tweakers Page - What about Laptops?

A good choice would be an ASUS ROG G751JY to start with, then increase memory to 32 GB, add a 2nd internal 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD for media cache and use a Samsung T1 1TB USB3 SSD for media. Make sure a power cord is included, since laptops for editing can only be used when plugged in to the wall outlet. The battery can not be used. It makes a laptop much too slow.

• 3. Re: Son going to uni, will this spec work with Premiere Pro CC
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Moving to the Hardware forum.

• 4. Re: Son going to uni, will this spec work with Premiere Pro CC
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

cc_merchant has this right.

amd cpu's should also be avoided due to bugs in adobe's software. that particular one is very slow, about 3x slower than an i7 quad core mobile cpu. if on a very tight budget, there are some laptops starting around $1000 with the gtx 960m, not including the usb ssd.

• 5. Re: Son going to uni, will this spec work with Premiere Pro CC
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have a well upgraded ASUS G750JW.that works beautifully with CC.  I took a look at some eBay used ones and for about $900 (which is what I paid 18 months ago for a factory refurbished unit.  If you then plan on one or two upgrades like memory and at least one SSD you will have a great (but heavy) unit.  Now be aware that there is only one way to do video editing on a laptop, it must be AC powered see our Tweakers Page website.  The upgrades are simple.one screw on the bottom gives you access to this

Forget our web site saying you need two or more internal disk drives, with the advent of the current high speed SSD drives good editing can be done with one good internal SSD and one very fast USB 3.0 flash drive     While I have a second SSD in my unit you can get by with cloning the OS and Applications to the first new SSD and use the very slow 5400 rpm drive for archiving in the unit and just get a very good (fast) USB3 flash drive and use it as the second performance drive I am using a Samsung T1 USB drive (256 GB) for all my project files very successfully.  If you prefer a slightly smaller unit the Patriot Supersonic Magnum is also great read and write performance for my AVCHD and MP4 files.  Be careful as most USB 3.0 flash drives are mediocre or worse in performance