5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 10:13 AM by A.T. Romano

AVCHD Project settings for Premiere elements 10

davidp60031960

Now have new SonyRX10 M2.  When importing to new project the clip was inserted in project and showed picture.  When I dragged into timeline there was no picture.  When trying to play I could hear sound but no picture.  I suspect the the preset for new Project is wrong.  Can anyone tell me what the Project settings should be for AVCHD.

• 1. Re: AVCHD Project settings for Premiere elements 10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime installed, per the program's requirements.

Then rather than manually moving the files from your camcorder to your computer using Windows Explorer or Finder, use the programs' Get Media/From Flip and Camera tool to open the Video Importer while your camcorder is connected via USB. This will ensure you are getting the correct media files.

Finally, make sure your project settings match your video specs.

In fact, what ARE your video specs!? That camera shoots in about two dozen resolutions and frame rates, including 4k (which is not supported by version 10).

For best results with version 10, I'd recommend you shoot only in 1920x1080 60i (17m FH) or, if you're shooting in PAL, 1920x1080 50i (17m). Version 10 does not support a wide variety of AVCHD formats.

• 2. Re: AVCHD Project settings for Premiere elements 10
            whsprague Level 4

Congratulations on a fabulous new camera!  

Steve is too kind!  He tries to help you use the software you have.  That's great, but new camera models often need new software.  It is the law of software land!

To be able to use all what that camera offers, you need to upgrade past Premier Elements version 10.   Further, you should be watching for version 14 that is not yet released.

Why?  Version 10 does not smoothly handle AVCHD (or 1920x1080p60).  Sixty "progressive" frames per second is a RX10 benefit that has value.  The RX10 M2 also can do 4K footage.  Version 10 will have trouble with that.  I think you need the current version 13 for that to work well. 

The RX10 M2 can shoots RAW stills too.  According to the Adobe chart, you need the tables from ACR 9.1.1.   The current version 13 stopped upgrading at 9.0.  Why?  If you want to make slideshows or include RAW still in videos, you can't do it without 9.1.1.  

If Adobe stays on schedule, version 14 should be available toward the end of September.   If you don't care about RAW stills, the current version 13 is a must for the 4K footage from the M2.

Bill

• 3. Re: AVCHD Project settings for Premiere elements 10
              A.T. Romano Level 7

davidp

Your thread title targets project settings for your Sony RX10 M2 AVCHD video. But, that appears based on part of a troubleshooting scheme to get at the immediate cause of your Premiere Elements 10 no video on import issue.

For  your immediate no video on import issue, please also look at

a. The long standing and well recognized Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue whose resolution is roll back of the video card/graphics card driver version to about May 2013. ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE10: NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

If your video card/graphics card is other than NVIDIA GeForce, then please assure that its driver version is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card.

b. Make sure that you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed as has already been suggested. But, if your Premiere Elements 10 is on Windows 10, then go with QuickTime 7, version 7.7.6 instead of the latest version 7.7.8 until Apple resolves 7.7.8 and Windows 10 issues.

What ever the project preset and resolution of the video, I am not seeing that as the reason for no video in Premiere Elements 10 and your video with the details that you have supplied so far. More information is needed if the above does not target the issue.

1. What computer operating system is involved? NTSC or PAL setup?

2. What are you recording at the AVCHD choice: 1920 x 1080 60p, 60i, or 24p? Any concerns about project preset, then set the project preset manually using File Menu/New/Project. Do not depend on Premiere Elements 10's decision on the project preset. Confirm settings using Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

Miscellaneous

4K or not....there are no project presets in 10 for 4K, but 4K video will import into Premiere Elements 10, video and audio in a 1920 x 1080 project.

And, you can export your 4K video (3840 x 2160), one example, as AVCHD.mp4 if you accept the progressive frame rate of 29.97.

More details on that if necessary.

davidp, please let us know if you need clarification on the above.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: AVCHD Project settings for Premiere elements 10
                davidp60031960 Level 1

ATR

Thanks for your advice.  It would appear that this is quite a jump in technology so I will upgrade my Premiere elements to 13 or await 14.  Of course I might still be back.

Thanks again

• 5. Re: AVCHD Project settings for Premiere elements 10
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

davidp

Thanks for the follow up.

Typically it is best to evaluate the tryout before purchase to determine the compatibility of your version with your computer environment and project goals.

Adobe offers the tryout as the current version, right now version 13. Once the new version is released, the new version becomes the only version available for tryout.

In the past, Adobe has offered a complimentary new version if you purchased the prior version within 30 days of the release date for the new.

Just some thoughts for you to consider in planning your strategy for deciding on your video editing program. If your computer is using an NVIDIA GeForce video card and you want to continue with Premiere Elements on that computer, then going to 12 and higher would be a way to do that.

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR