5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 10:05 PM by paulgolden

After Effects renders slower than Media Encoder

ryant14574602

Hey All,

I've got a composition that takes around two hours in AE and ten minutes in media encoder using the same export settings.

My best guess is that the Mercury engine is speeding up the media encoder.

This is a new install of after effects and media encoder on windows 10 with a gtx980m card.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong.

Help is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: After Effects renders slower than Media Encoder
          ryant14574602 Level 1

I've got a slight follow-up to this. I'm still looking into this matter (how could I let go of that much of a gain in render times?!) and what I've gathered is that AE doesn't utilize the GPU at all while ME does. I'm having a hard time believing that this is the explanation for why the same exact composition renders faster in one over the other.

• 2. Re: After Effects renders slower than Media Encoder
            ryant14574602 Level 1

I'm going to have a chat with myself for a little bit.

So I did my own monitoring of system resources. In both AE and ME the GPU is essentially not active. The CPU is at around 25% for AE while it's at 45% for ME. So this seems to be a new sort of problem.

• 3. Re: After Effects renders slower than Media Encoder
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Remember that AE CC 2015 is still a work in progress when it comes to rendering.

Adobe's AE team is working to increase overall efficiency & speed in AE.  Because they had to meet a release date that included many other applications for CC 2015, the team picked a stopping point.

The work continues.

• 4. Re: After Effects renders slower than Media Encoder
                ryant14574602 Level 1

I couldn't agree more, 2015 is definitely a work in progress.

However this issue has less to do with CC 2015. I've done similar tests with AE 2014 and ME 2014 to the same end.

It's a very bizarre discrepancy between platforms that I'm trying to wrap my head around. I would hope it is a configuration issue that I'm missing but I'd settle for an architectural issue that at least makes sense.

• 5. Re: After Effects renders slower than Media Encoder
                  paulgolden Level 1

I'm doing a bit of both on my 2013 Mac Pro 8 core with 64gb of RAM.  My feeling is both products are dog slow in the render department compared to FCPX, Resolve, Motion.  And AE 2015 CC is a RAM hog which won't play well with others. I am enjoying off-loading render chores on AME so I can get back to other tasks in AE, but boy are they slow.  One thing I noticed is that you have fewer choices in AME on custom settings (say PNG sequence exports) or regarding a color-managed workflow.  And since AE 2015 CC, it can no longer play a QT movie at speed with audio.  I have the latest upgrade which was supposed to address this, but I'm not impressed...