2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2015 11:32 AM by Szalam

How to configure AMD firepro w5100 for after effects

TejinderSingh

Hi

I have recently purchased AMD firepro w5100 4GBgraphic card. I am using After Effect CC. I have noticed the performance is not great. I wanted to know how can I configure this graphic card for optimum usage with firepro w5100. Also I have noticed, the Ray-Tracing is showing CPU, the GPU option is disabled, as you can see in the attach screenshot "GPU not available - incompatible device or display driver"

The following is my system spec.

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631)

System Manufacturer: MSI

System Model: MS-7693

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.5GHz

Memory: 24576MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 24524MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

FireproW5100.gif

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to configure AMD firepro w5100 for after effects
          ryant14574602

I'm actually working through a similar issue right now as well elsewhere in the forum.

That window is looking for a CUDA supported video card. Not sure if your AMD supports that but I've found that it may not even be that important. Turns out GPU has very little to do with AE. The GPU accelerates the ray-trace engine which apparently isn't really good for much anymore. (If you go to comp settings -> advanced and switch it over to ray-trace you'll see how much you lose to utilize the GPU)

Here's a somewhat related thread discussing those GPU concerns. Nvidia GTX 780 Ti or GTX 980 (AE CS6)

Here's another thread that talks about the CPU/hardware issues that may find are more your issue. Re: AE only using 25 percent of my CPU

I don't have an answer unfortunately. But hopefully a little bit of this research is helpful.

• 2. Re: How to configure AMD firepro w5100 for after effects
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AE uses the GPU for very little. See this page: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects

Basically, the only thing AE uses it for is the obsolete ray-traced renderer. The ray-traced renderer relied on CUDA technology from NVIDIA. It was only accelerated on certain NVIDIA cards. An AMD card will never work with the ray-traced renderer, but that's okay because very few people use the ray-traced renderer! Instead, use Cinema 4D which comes free with AE or use a third-party plugin like Element or 3d Invigorator (both of which can use AMD cards).