3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 10:14 AM by A.T. Romano

Mov file won't take

melodyfcmusic

I have several mov files in my timeline already. however, the program won't accept any mov files I took off a camera. They play fine in other players (quicktime). I really need that clip, but It won't accept it. Even converted to mp4. What do I do?

• 1. Re: Mov file won't take
          A.T. Romano Level 7

melodyfcmusic

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Where did the .mov files on the Timeline come from - brand/model/settings of camera that recorded the video?

And, where did the .mov files that will not import come from - brand/model/settings of camera that recorded the video?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements? And, are running the programs as administrator?

What did you use as converter (to .mp4) for the problem files? And, what video compression went along with the .mp4 file extension?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Mov file won't take
            melodyfcmusic Level 1

I have the educational version of Premiere 12 running on an ASUS using windows 8.

I don't have the camera information, as we borrowed it from a student.

I do have the latest Quicktime installed, but I am only sort of an administrator (I use the program for my work at a school and while technically I am an administrator on the computer, I have limited access)

I just used the basic convertor that comes on my computer, I'm not sure what it is called.

Thank you so much for your help!

• 3. Re: Mov file won't take
              A.T. Romano Level 7

melodyfcmusic

Thanks for the reply. The user account and limited access may be key to this matter. Both Premiere Elements and Premiere Elements' required QuickTime need to be run a administrator (from user account with administrative privileges). Can you explore with someone getting more access?

But, let us approach this from another angle, that is, the properties of the video in question. Please download the free codec utility named GSpot and run your video through it to get readings for Video: Name, Codec, Status and Audio: Codec, Status. Please include any other information there that might help us...frame size, frame rate.... http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

However, major right now is the video compression and the file extension of the file (.mov, .mp4, or other).

Any questions about the questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR