3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2015 5:11 PM by Bill Gehrke

After Effects Disk Cache and SSDs

johnt53984649 Level 2

So, I know that having a disk cache can be useful to keep your previews.  However, here's the deal; if you're working with high-resolution footage and make previews on a regular basis, doesn't that mean that After Effects is going to be writing large amounts of data to the disk cache?  As I understand it, SSDs only have a certain number of writes, and knowing how huge After Effects disk caches can become (yes I know you can limit the sizes) and how often I create previews, it just begs the question: Do any of you have SSDs dedicated as an After Effects disk cache and allocate all of the space on that SSD to the disk cache?  If so, how often do you have to replace that/those SSDs? Please read the bold statement carefully and answer every part of it.  All components of this question are important to my understanding.  At the moment, I don't even use a disk cache because the longevity of my boot SSD and Source Media SSD (the only two I have) are extremely important.

• 1. Re: After Effects Disk Cache and SSDs
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Look at this on the Samsung 850 Pro from Anandtech and quit worrying

Endurance Comparison of High-End SSDs
          Samsung SSD 850 Pro Intel SSD 730 SanDisk Extreme Pro OCZ Vector 150
          150TB 91TB (240GB)
          128TB (480GB)
          80TB 91TB

The other major improvement from V-NAND is the endurance. All capacities, including the smallest 128GB, are rated at 150TB, which is noticeably higher than what any other consumer-grade SSD offers. Moreover, Samsung told me that the endurance figure is mainly meant to separate the 850 Pro from the enterprise drives to guide enterprise clients to the more appropriate (and expensive) drives as the 850 Pro does not have power loss protection or end-to-end data protection for example. However, I was told that the warranty is not automatically denied if 150TB is reached under a client workload. In fact, Samsung said that they have a 128GB 850 Pro in their internal testing with over eight petabytes (that is 8,000TB) of writes and the drive still keeps going, so I tip my hat to the person who is able to wear out an 850 Pro in a client environment during my lifetime.

If you on your system where to write the a 128 GB disk full every day you would reach the 150 TB in 3.2 years.  By then you would have a new computer anyway

• 2. Re: After Effects Disk Cache and SSDs
            johnt53984649 Level 2

While that answers the question about endurance, it does not address my other bold aspect: Do any of you have SSDs dedicated as an After Effects disk cache and allocate all of the space on that SSD to the disk cache?

In other words, do you use that SSD for anything else?

• 3. Re: After Effects Disk Cache and SSDs
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry I am a Premiere person and know very little about AE performance issues.  I do know that Premiere's Media Cache and Media Cache Files are very insensitive to read/write performance of where the files are located.  I have actually run our PPBM benchmark on everything fro a SM951 to a USB 2.0 Flash Drive and not seen any difference in performance.  AE and other programs probably are much different.

You might want to ask that question on the After Effects foruim