16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 6:00 AM by A.T. Romano

How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?

jeffo1b

To preface, this is the very first time working in video.

I am using Premier Elements 13 on Windows 7 64 bit.

I am making a montage video with clips from from friends, all of which are in different formats (some from iPhones, camcorders, GoPro, etc).

I've put them all together and when I play back in the editor, it looks great.

But when I export, it looks horrible, almost unwatchable.

I am extremely unfamiliar with this, I naively assumed that since it looked great as I played it back in Elements, it would look great when I export and burn to a DVD.

The end use for the video is to have the DVD played in a movie theater. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Any help would be really appreciated.  Unfortunately, I'm on a very short deadline!

Thanks,

jeff

• 1. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
          whsprague Level 4

Jeff,

The DVD format is a low quality, standard definition left over from tube TVs.  What do you have for other play back choices?  Do you have a Blu-Ray player?  Do you have the ability to play from a computer?  How long is the finished product in minutes?

There are some choices you can make to improve DVD quality but the format is highly limited.

Bill

• 2. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
            jeffo1b Level 1

The total video is only 17.5 minutes.

I'm having it played in a commercial theatre, so I assume Blu-Ray is an option.  the lady just told me to give it to her on a "DVD" without much else input.

I will track her down now, but if you could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

jeff

UPDATE:  confirmed that I can use Blu-Ray.

• 3. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jeffo

Given you have imported an assortment of videos clips into a Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project on Window 7 64 bit. What is the range of resolutions with which you are dealing - 640 x 480, 720 x 480, 1280 x 720, or 1920 x 1080? What is the project preset that you (manually) or the project (automatically) has set for the project preset (project settings)? If you do not know, please tell us what the readings are for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio. If you let the project set the project preset, that project preset is going to be based on the properties of the first video file that is dragged to the Timeline. The rest to follow will be made to fit into those settings as best possible.

The above is important because you say that all looks great when you are previewing your Timeline content in the Edit area monitor.

Can we assume that the audio is in sync with the video at that previewing? I mention that since cell phone video is known to have problems in Premiere Elements (anywhere ranging from audio out of sync or not being able to import the cell phone video at all). But, if you have no problems previewing the rendered Timeline content. Great. The information can be used as a guideline to decide on consistent export choices.

Do you have a Blu-ray burner, Blu-ray discs to create your movie in Premiere Elements? Will the movie theater be inserting your Blu-ray disc into a Blu-ray player and projecting the movie onto it large screen from there?

What is the quality of the results If you take your present Timeline content specifically to

Publish+Share

Disc

Blu-ray

disc

with Presets = H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

(that has a 29.97 interlaced frames per second frame rate - it is the default Adobe preset for this burn to)

or

with Presets = H.264 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby

(that has a 23.97 progressive frames per second frame rate).

Will you get the opportunity to do a "dress rehearsal" before the public viewing to make sure you have a viable product - avoiding any surprises.

Depending on how much time you have to perfect what you create...you could explore DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc. We can talk about optimizing that creation. It is likely that the theater has DVD-VIDEO enhancing technology for viewing that type of format.

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
                jeffo1b Level 1

Thank you.

Editing Mode:  HD 1080i

Timebase:  29.97 frames/second

Frame Size:  1920/1080

Pixel Aspect Ratio:  Square Pixels (1.0)

These were all set automatically.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a BluRay burner right now.

My thought process is as follows:  I selected Publish+Share --> Burn -->Blu Ray --> Burn To:  ISO Image (25gb) --> presets:  H.264 1920 x 1080i NTCS Dolby

I now have a 23+ gb file sitting on my hard drive, but have no way to view it.

Somewhat off topic, but would most photo/video shops have the ability to burn this to a BluRay disc?  Or are most Macs equipped with BluRay burning capabilities?

I might have a bit of a dress rehearsal, depends on the movie theater's availability.  I did speak to them today and was told that most people just drop off BluRay.

Is there anyway to view an .iso image on your laptop as it would be played on a BluRay player?

One last question:  Can I modify the project settings after I've begun working on it?

• 5. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jeff

I do not see the burn to Blu-ray ISO Image 25 GB or 50 GB as your answer. If your goal is to get the iso file onto a disc subsequently,

the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 burn to ISO Image 25 GB or 50 GB has a serious flaw in that regard. If the file size of the .iso produced with Premiere Elements 13/13.1 is over 1 GB, when the .iso is taken to Blu-ray disc, the player does not recognize the disc.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: ISO Image File Size Issue

I would have to look into what is available for Blu-ray iso players especially in view of the Premiere Elements Blu-ray iso issue.

In Premiere Elements 13/13.1, you cannot change project settings once they have been established. The Edit Menu/Project Settings/General is good for verifying what project settings that you have, but you cannot make significant project settings changes there.

In versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 13/13.1, under certain circumstances, you could alter project settings without starting a new project. This is done by editing the Notepad document of the saved closed project file.

At this point (and depending on the time crunch of the situation), it would be a good idea to try for the best possible DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc.

Please describe what was so bad about your results (assumed for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc) - blurry, flicker, jitters, ghosting, other? If you want, we could go over the workflow for that to determine what might be fine tuned if at all.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 6. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jeff

Add On to my post numbered 5....

Need to do some homework to distinguish between .iso files and .iso files generated by the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Publish+Share/ section.

The VLC player seems to be a candidate for playing .iso files, but will it playback the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 generated ones DVD-VIDEO iso, AVCHD iso, and Blu-ray iso?

How to play ISO or IMG files - AfterDawn: Guides

To be continued...

ATR

Add On...Quick Test...I could get the VLC player to playback Premiere Elements 13/13.1 DVD-VIDEO iso, but not AVCHD iso or Blu-ray iso.

• 7. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
                      whsprague Level 4

Jeff,

In my post earlier, I tried to offer some help.  My thought at the time, depending on the length of the project was to make either what is called a AVCHD Disk or a video file playable on a computer at the theater.

As can happen on this forum, simple answers have become lost in minutiae.

If you are still here, can you tell me how long it takes to watch the video.  If it is less than 20 minutes, you can try the AVCHD Disc that is burnable on equipment you have, is in HD and is playable on a Blu-Ray player.  If it is longer, then you should try making a playable video file in a common format.

Neither is difficult.

Bill

• 8. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
                        jeffo1b Level 1

there's some sort of problem with writing the .iso image.  I was able to do it successfully as a blu-ray image, but not as DVD image.  it runs successfully, but when i go to the folder where it should be located, it's empty.  i tried doing this as a file and as a folder with the same result.

but no error message.

any ideas?

• 9. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
                          whsprague Level 4

How long is the video?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Date:Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Subject:[Premiere Elements] How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?

How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?

created by jeffo1b in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

there's some sort of problem with writing the .iso image.  I was able to do it successfully as a blu-ray image, but not as DVD image.  it runs successfully, but when i go to the folder where it should be located, it's empty.  i tried doing this as a file and as a folder with the same result.

but no error message.

any ideas?

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7927435#7927435 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7927435#7927435

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"      

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 11. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
                            jeffo1b Level 1

Update:  :I burned a .iso image in AVCHD format, but the player recommended above (VLC Media Player) doesn't open it.

• 12. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

jeffo1b

The answers will be in details, and thank you for them.

What video card/graphics card does your computer use?

If you are not finding your exports at the designated Save In location, then

Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and look at the issue with and without the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher preference disabled.

The following points to this preference ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: Hardware Acceleration Preference

The above has worked for many. Let us see if that works for you. But why are you doing the burn to DVD-VIDEO ISO Image. Is the burn to disc failing to go to completion?

The status of that preference is expected to impact more export functions beside the burn to iso choices.

Although Blu-ray player is expected to playback Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, I do not believe that it can be said that all Blu-ray players support AVCHD format on DVD disc. Another point to check out with the movie theater people.

If you want to revisit the DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc details to target for the best possible end product possible, I would be glad for the opportunity to be of assistance with detailed information.

Please consider.

ATR

• 13. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

jeff

Referring to your AVCHD iso result with VLC player (post 11)

Did you read my full post 6

Ending with

Quick Test...I could get the VLC player to playback Premiere Elements 13/13.1 DVD-VIDEO iso, but not AVCHD iso or Blu-ray iso.

Based on the above...consider

1. Burn the Timeline to AVCHD on DVD disc (you can do that without a Blu-ray burner) and find out if the movie theater player supports that format

or

2. Let us go to work to create the best possible DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc with an exchange of tips on fine tuning before and after it gets to the movie theater.

I think it is time to go back to your original thread description and sort through why the good looking previews and the not so good looking end product for what seemed to be creation of DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

ATR

• 14. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
                                  whsprague Level 4

Based on....

1.  "To preface, this is the very first time working in video."

2.  "The total video is only 17.5 minutes."

3.  "Burn the Timeline to AVCHD on DVD disc (you can do that without a Blu-ray burner) and find out if the movie theater player supports that format"

Do the following with your existing project:  Publish&Share > Disk >  No or Yes to Disk Menus – Probably No > pick “AVCHD” which is below DVD and Blu-Ray .   It should put your video on a cheap DVD disk in your DVD drive that should be playable in HD on a Blu-Ray player.  

Watch it on a Blu-Ray player hooked to a HD TV.  If that provides the picture quality you are looking for, then check if the theater can play it.

Good luck!

• 15. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
                                    jeffo1b Level 1

Guys,

Sorry I took so long to reply.  The reason is that I fixed it at the very last minute and then was out of town for the weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Specifically what I think worked was the following:

"Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and look at the issue with and without the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher preference disabled.

The following points to this preference ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: Hardware Acceleration Preference"

I was then able to burn to AVCHD and it published with the quality that matched what I saw in the editor.  I played it on my home Blu-ray player and it looked as expected; I have dropped it off at the theater and am awaiting feedback.

Thank you so much for your help, it was really important to get this out in time and I was able to.

jeff

• 16. Re: How can I maintain export quality if I combine multiple clips of media in different formats?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeff

Thanks for the update and the wonderful news

I was then able to burn to AVCHD and it published with the quality that matched what I saw in the editor.  I played it on my home Blu-ray player and it looked as expected; I have dropped it off at the theater and am awaiting feedback.

Great job of follow through to gain your success.

Best wishes with this and all your video presentations.

ATR