21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2015 1:13 PM by Bill in Burbank

How can I increase the volume of my narration?

Bill in Burbank

I can barely hear my narration.  I have the audio mixer set at max (6.0), and the Windows Mike Setup Wizard volume level set at almost max (96), but I can barely hear my narration.  I have the Audio Track 1 turned WAY down in the audio mixer so I can barely hear my narration track which is set at max.  Is there another volume control for narration I am unaware of?

• 1. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, check to see if your narration is recording to both channels. If you're recording with an monaural microphone, you may only be getting audio on the left channel, and that can make it sound very weak. If that is the case, adding the Fill Right with Left audio effect can help fill out the sound.

Second, open the Audio Mixer (under the Tools menu) and check your audio levels with your mixer. Never trust your computer speakers. Watch the meters and make sure your audio is peaking between -6 and zero. No more, no less.

If you're audio is not loud enough, the easiest way to increase it is right-click on the clip on the timeline and select Audio Gain. On the Audio Gain panel, click the Normalize button. The clip's audio will automatically be increased to a good, full level.

But, again, don't trust what you hear on your computer! Use those audio meters!

• 2. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill in Burbank

Just saw your thread on your narration question.

Where are you creating this narration clip - Tools Menu/Narration or with another program and then importing it into the project as a pcm.wav file, final destination Expert workspace Narration Track?

If you highlight the narration clip on the Narration Track, and go to Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded, does the volume slider reading there confirm the 6.0 dB setting that you believe that you set in the Audio Mixer?

What happened - are you putting a new microphone into use or is this the same setup that we have dealt with in our past troubleshooting? In other words - it worked before but not now or it never worked before?

Out of curiosity - if you move the narration clip to a numbered audio track, is the sound better?

ATR

• 3. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
              Bill in Burbank Level 1

Thanks for your help, Steve.  The audio gain was what I was looking for but could not remember where it was.  Now I found it and it was set at 0 db.  I "normalized" it and it went 9.2 db, but I kept the audio mixer at 6.0.  It improved a great deal, but when I went to the  audio meters, they are now reading my narration clip I fixed to about -30 db, not 0 to -6 as you said.  (They were down to nothing and tweaked up a little; that's how soft the narration was.)

Should I manually increase the number in the audio gain?  Should I then decrease the 6.0 in the audio mixer?                                                                               

Bill North

• 4. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi A.T.R.  -  Glad you are still "on duty".  I guess I'm talking to two of you.  I don't understand how this community forum thing works, but oh well.

I am not creating the narration someplace else; I'm doing it right in PE. 

I went to the Volume Panel like you suggested, and yes, it did show +6.0p db.

Then I went down to Audio Gain in Adjustments, and normalized it there too on another clip.  Went up to 13.2 when I did it that way, which helped quite a bit, but I'm still getting very low numbers on the audio meters.  Should I increase the db level manually up to a point where I'm getting more volume?  And should I try for the correct volume after I re-set the Audio Mixer down from the 6.0 it's at now, down to 0 db so I can adjust it later as I need when I'm really "balancing" the tracks?

Did not try moving a narration track clip to another audio track, but I will now and add the result to this answer before I send it.  OK, I just switched the narration to Audio Track 2, and it was VERY different.  Was quite a bit louder, but still only up to about -30 db on the audio meters, so I guess there's a way to do.  Steve said the audio meters should register between 0 and -6.  I am nowhere near that yet, but getting closer by playing with the audio gain. Should I play with the audio gain some more to get it up to 0 to -6db ?

Oh, then I switched the narration clip BACK to the narration track and it got almost inaudible again.  Had to turn my speakers volume to the max to hear it again.  Interesting.

You asked it I was using a different mike. Yes, I have a new Snowball Ice Blue mike, but I am quite sure I used it on the Africa DVD.  I bought it for that.  But it does work because when I switched one of the current narration tracks to the other Audio 2 track, the  sound came on like gangbusters.  So, it's a peculiarity with the narration track - - which it looks like I can "cure" with audio gain - - - or do you think I should switch all the clips to Audio Track 2?

Bill North

• 5. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill in Burbank

Thanks for the reply.

Just had those questions since I suspected that your current problem was related to something we discussed previously. Did you go back to your previous microphone to see if that makes a difference? Have you tried a new project?

I will fade for now and think about your answers which I felt were highly significant. This will make way so that you can continue your original talking to one.

I will return later depending on the outcome of the other discussion.

ATR

• 6. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I see that ATR has once again stepped into my conversation and taken it in a whole other direction.

Bill, please let us know if you'd like to follow ATR's line of thought or if you'd like to continue with my line of investigation.

• 7. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                      Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi Steve.  Well, I have a long history with ATR, and he has helped me with several things, so I think I will stay with him, but I certainly appreciate your stepping in to try to help.

Bill

• 8. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>talking to two of you.  I don't understand how this community forum thing works

This is an OPEN forum, so anyone may post or reply at any time... think of this place like a cork board where you walk up and write a note that you stick to the board with a push pin... and someone else comes up later and reads your note and pins a note of their own to the bottom of your note... and so on for any number of people

Different people have different levels of experience which they use to answer questions... and, depending on those different experiences, the same question may often be answered in different ways

Read... test... decide what works for you... and then go back and mark that answer as correct

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

I have thought about our exchange of information on your Premiere Elements Narration Tool narration clip's unusually low volume when on the project's Narration Track. Please refer to posts 2 and 4.

My last impression was that you had narrowed the issue to an undefined issue with the Narration Track since you said that placing the problem narration clips on Audio Track 2, instead of the Narration Track, solved the problem.

To further support the details of the success, do you have time to go through the following tests in the problem project.

1. When you create a Premiere Elements narration clip with its Narration Tool, you get

a. copy placed automatically on the Timeline Narration Track at the position of the Timeline Indicator

and

b. a copy placed automatically in Expert workspace Project Assets

but also

c. a copy goes to the Documents (Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\13.0)

Please open a new Premiere Elements project to the Expert workspace and import one of the problem project's narration clips that got saved to the 13.0 Folder. Use Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets from where you drag the narration clip (wav) to the Narration Track. Do you have problems with the narration clip's volume in this instance?

Then, go back to the problem project Expert workspace, delete the narration clip on the Narration Track and its copy in Project Assets. Next import the copy of the narration clip in the 13.0 Folder ( Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\13.0) and drag it to the Narration Track of this problem project. Is the narration clip behaving as before or is it now OK in the Narration Track?

The history of the use of the Narration Track including several unexplained happenings. It is not uncommon to see such troubleshooting ending with moving the narration clip to a upper numbered audio track or creating a new numbered audio track for it in the project. So it would be helpful if we could document what happened in your case.

Please consider if your schedule permits exploring the above. Any questions or need clarification on the about suggestions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                            Bill in Burbank Level 1

Oh.  Thank you.   Bill

• 11. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                              Bill in Burbank Level 1

Thank you, Benjamin.    Bill North

• 12. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                                FRANKINPIP Level 1

Don't know if i can do this BUT i'm having same problem.When I check normalize on audio gain thing my clip sounds great. if I make another narration it goes back to being real low volume..Is there anyway I can keep the audio gain normalized for all the time? I couldn't really follow other instruction to check,sorry

Frank

• 13. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Frank

What are you looking for - a feature where the whole Narration Track is on an automatic normalize basis versus normalizing selected clip or group of selected clips on that Narration Track?

Have you read gain and normalize information in

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Mixing audio and adjusting volume

ATR

• 14. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                                    FRANKINPIP Level 1

I'm looking to make a instructional video . To take the video and after I take i,t add audio to the video at different points and have it play back at normal volume. It does not do that at this time in order to hear the narration I have to go to audio gain and click on normalize every time and by doing that it increases the volume. Thank you for your input.

Frank

• 15. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                                      FRANKINPIP Level 1

Yes i looked at audio volume but I still can't use narration where the volume comes out nornmal. I have to go to audio gain and hit normalize each time for each little clip I don't think that is the correct way.

thank you

• 16. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Frank

What happens if you create your narration clips first, then select (all at one time) the clips that you want normalized, and then Clip Menu/Audio Options/Gain dialog with the Normalize button?

ATR

• 17. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                                          FRANKINPIP Level 1

Wow what a common sense answer and it worked.Thanks, BUT is there a way that I can ALWAYS have the normalized feature working BEFORE the narration starts .If not this will do okay even tho i dont feel comfortable doing it in a make shift manner but IT DOES WORK THANKS

Frank

• 18. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Frank

Great news that the Audio Options/Gain Normalize suggestion (post 16) worked for you.

I know of no way in Premiere Elements to set the Narration Track itself to have a default Normalize feature. It would appear that the only more than one at a time feature in this regard relates to selected clips on the Narration Track and not the Narration Track.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Great job of follow through.

Best wishes

ATR

Add on...the comments would seem to apply to numbered audio tracks and Soundtrack as well as Narration Track.

• 19. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                                              Bill in Burbank Level 1

I'll certainly try it and let you know.   Bill

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"A.T. Romano" <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Date:Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Subject:[Premiere Elements] How can I increase the volume of my narration?

How can I increase the volume of my narration?

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Frank

What happens if you create your narration clips first, then select (all at one time) the clips that you want normalized, and then Clip Menu/Audio Options/Gain dialog with the Normalize button?

ATR

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7935607#7935607 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7935607#7935607

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"      

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 20. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Frank joined your thread appearing in the public Adobe Premiere Elements Forum back in post 12, and I have been posting replies to his Gain Normalize questions in your thread as they appear in your thread.

I hope that the exchange of information between Frank and I has been interesting and useful.

Best wishes

ATR

• 21. Re: How can I increase the volume of my narration?
                                                  Bill in Burbank Level 1

It has.  Thank you.    Bill