5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2015 9:56 AM by timj27972353

How can I search to find pictures with only 2 specific people?

timj27972353

I have many pictures tagged with many peoples names, and other keywords.

I also have many people tagged through the face detection feature.

I want to see pictures that ONLY have 2 specific people in them, no others included.

I was hoping to Ctrl-Click on a couple faces and it would let me bring up only pictures with these two people, no luck.

I was hoping to enter it with keywords somehow, no luck.

It's got to be possible, just hoping someone can help get me there quicker . . .

Appreciate the help!

• 1. Re: How can I search to find pictures with only 2 specific people?
          sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Timj,

Lightroom uses a special keyword for names. Yes, the person’s name will appear as a keyword (see image below).

Image 140

In this case, I highlighted Jim, and when I scroll down to the J’s, I find him! This filter, clicking on People in the Keyword List section, is helpful for ignoring all the other hundreds of keywords and just finding people.

Image 150

When you find Jim, you’ll also see a little arrow on the far right. If you click on that arrow, it will show you all (2) of the images tagged as Jim.

So the same way you can find specific people.

Please let us know if it helps.

~Sarika

• 2. Re: How can I search to find pictures with only 2 specific people?
            timj27972353 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply.

I hadn't seen the All, People, Other part before.

Unfortunately, that method brings back pictures that include the one person, but many others too.

It also does not allow me to select ONLY 2 people.

This is helpful when I want all the pictures of only my wife and I, or only pictures with 2 nieces, or only pictures with 2 specific friends -- and no one else.

Thanks!!

• 3. Re: How can I search to find pictures with only 2 specific people?
              dj_paige Level 9

I want to see pictures that ONLY have 2 specific people in them, no others included.

It's got to be possible, just hoping someone can help get me there quicker . . .

It is not possible in Lightroom directly — maybe there's some complicated workaround, or maybe there's a plug-in that can do this, but I am not aware of any way to do this.

• 4. Re: How can I search to find pictures with only 2 specific people?
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

It's conceptually simple but a little tedious: First you find all pics that have at least the 2 people, then you exclude from those the pics that have any other people.  It will be a lot easier if you have all of the people organized hierarchically under a parent keyword, e.g. People.

1. In the Catalog panel on the left, right-click Quick Collection and do Clear Quick Collection.

2. Click All Photographs.

3. In the Library Filter bar, open the Metadata browser and configure it to have two Keyword columns.

4. In the first column, select the first person's keyword, and in the second column, select the second person. This will show the pics that have at least both keywords, but it may include pics that also have other people keywords too.

5. Do Edit > Select All and do Photo > Add To Quick Collection. 

6. In the Catalog panel, click on Quick Collection.

7. In the LIbrary Filter Metadata browser, remove one of the Keyword columns.

8. In the remaining Keyword column, if you have intermediate keywords grouping your individual people keywords, expand all of them.  E.g. if you have People > Family, People > Friends, People > Colleagues, etc. expand all of them so all of the leaf keywords are showing.

9. Select all of the People keywords by clicking on the first one and then shift-clicking on the last one. 

10. Deselect any intermediate parent keywords (e.g. People > Family) by Cmd/Ctrl-clicking on them.   Deselect People itself.

11. Deselect the two leaf keywords for the two desired people.  At this point, you should have all of the leaf people keywords selected except for the two people keywords, and no intermediate grouping keywords selected.   The pics showing are those that contain the two desired keywords and at least one other people keyword.

12. Do Edit > Select All and do Photo > Remove From Quick Collection.

13. Turn off the filters by clicking None in the Library Filter bar.

The Quick Collection now contains those pics that contain the two desired people keywords and no other people keywords.

If you do this a lot, you could use the Any Filter plugin to predefine a search that automates this for you.  Defining that search would be a little tricky, so if you want to go that route, send me a private message and I'll lead you through it.

• 5. Re: How can I search to find pictures with only 2 specific people?
                  timj27972353 Level 1

Thanks for the help.  Looks to work, although that's many steps.  Would be nice to see Adobe make this a bit easier. . .

Again - Thanks!!