1 2 Previous Next 47 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 8:27 AM by A.T. Romano

What size photo is best to use in a movie?

margarets87102378

I am going to make a movie using both video and photos. When editing and importing my photos, I want to make them view perfectly in Elements. So, what size will work best when importing into Elements?

• 2. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

margarets

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

What is the video format (frame size, frame rate, etc)? What are the pixel dimensions of the photos (width and height in pixels), and how many photos?

How do you want to export the project's Timeline?

The project has one project preset...a typical video/photo approach is to set the project preset to match the properties of the source video and then decide if you are going to let the program do the photo fits or if you will need to crop/resize or just resize before import to avoid the project being compromised by too many photos oversized for the project settings.

The level of your computer resources will determine how far you can get before considering photo crop/resize or just resize.

Let us start here. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
            margarets87102378 Level 1

ATR,

You sound like EXACTLY the person to answer my question!!

The short version is…I am going to make a movie of my Dad, who recently passed away. I have photos of different sizes, qualities etc. Most are in albums which will be difficult to take apart and put back together. I have a photo scanner but am considering taking pictures with my iPhone 6 instead. I want to know which size/pixels would look best in a movie using Elements 13. This way I could just batch edit them to speed the process up. Same for video. I don’t want it to look good to me and then, when it’s in the movie, to look blurry or pixelated.

I’ll have over 200 pictures, all varying dimensions and quality. Maybe there is some software I could use to “standardize” them all at once (?)

I have a Surface running Windows 8.1. 64 bit processor, Elements and Photoshop 13. lots of available space (over 200 GB).

The final movie will be burnt onto DVDs for my family. I imagine most will view it on their TV. Some on computer but not many…

ANY help you can give will be greatly appreciated. I am under a time restraint and want to get this done ASAP.

Oh yeah…I will also want to add music and crop each selection so that I can use many songs that will remind all of us of Dad.

Thanks!!!

Margaret

Sent from Surface

• 4. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the opportunity to help with your wonderful tribute to your father.

I will post a plan of action within the next few hours. If there are any forum shutdowns for forum repairs in the next few hours, I will post as soon as possible when the the forum is reopened if there is such a temporary shutdown.

To be continued....

ATR

• 5. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

GREAT!! I am willing to also buy software if required...

Margaret

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

Still working on my reply to you on technical matters.

But, at the present time do you have any version of Premiere Elements? And, what computer operating system will you be using?

If you do not have Premiere Elements yet, after my post on technical matters, you should consider looking at the tryout of Premiere Elements and then decide if it is for you with regard to its compatibility with your computer environment and project goals. The tryout has the features of the purchased product. But, the tryout does come with Adobe watermarks in the project file and exports from the tryout. You can remove the Adobe watermark from the project file, but not the exports from the project file, when and if you purchase the product. The tryout is free 30 days.

The current version of Premiere Elements is 13/13.1. But a new version, assumed named 14, should be released by Adobe September October 2015 (few weeks away).

To be continued...

ATR

• 7. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

ATR,

In my last email, I said I have Photoshop and Elements 13. My operating system is Windows 8.1

Margaret

Sent from my iPhone

• 8. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

Thanks for the confirmation on programs and computer operating system. Let us begin.

Please consider the details below, testing with a sampling of the assortment of photos that you have

a. iPhone6 scanning or flatbed photo scanner for photo scanning to get best (acceptable) quality and control of the sizing for the jpeg produced from the scan.

c. Then we can decide if the 1080p import preset will work for your situation to give enhanced quality to the end product DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc.

Details

1. Source Files. Premiere Elements allows for only one project preset and that project preset establishes the appropriate format/size space in the Edit area monitor from which to edit your Timeline content. So this situation requires setting priorities and deciding whether or not black borders in the viewing are acceptable and how to fill black borders and whether to scale more than one photo in a frame. All variables to gauge in mini test runs before the grand project. Some focus points...

a. iPhone 6 scanning of originals from photo albums (without removing photos from album)

Does the iPhone 6 have a special app for scanning or do you use its Camera and Camera Rool/Edit? If Edit/Crop, then select 16:9 if we are going for DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc. I do not know if you will get an opportunity to control the pixel dimensions that way.The quality and control of the scan may be better with your regular flatbed photo scanner if you can do the scanning without damaging the album binding.

b. If this is going to be a photos only (no video) presentation, then I would set for a Premiere Elements 1920 x 1080 16:9 project...

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

I suggest this specific choice since many have found that use of this project preset with a destination of DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc ends with sharper photos than if you had used another project setting. If we go this plan (no glitches), then I would suggest the original photo size 1920 x 1080 16:9. I would prefer to take advantage of this particular perk, but if you are with a lot of small size photos, we may have to select other project setting to avoid scaling up of smaller to larger and running into pixelated images when you do not want black borders.

It is the variations in your source files that adds to the decision making. Often exploration and experimentation and mini test runs are needed to establish the workflow. I know that I can use a flatbed photo scanner to set for and get a 1920 x 1080 16:9 jpeg on my computer and take that into a Premiere Elements project as 1920 x 1080 16:9. And, I know that I can set for a 16:9 on my iPod (I do not have an iPhone), but I do not know that I have control over the pixel dimensions of that iPod photo once it gets to the computer (before import into a Premiere Elements project).

Please review and consider. And, then we will trim this all down into a most likely to succeed workflow.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

ATR,

This is SO helpful and easy to understand.

Since reading your email the first time, I have begun the testing phase...

Yes, I would like to try for the 1080p preset. But, I do have photos of different sizes. And not all can be scanned. Some were taken on the iPhone.

For the others, I am going to try to use the scanner as much as possible. the only downside is that it can't edit/save pictures as 16:9.

I have taken 15 photos (oh, by the way, I decided to only use photos to simplify the process…) and saved them two ways.

For the scanned photos, I saved them at 300 dpi and at the original size in .tiff format. Then I edited them in Photoshop with just the Quick Smart Edit, 16:9 and saved as. PSD

For the iPhone pictures, I just imported them into Photoshop and followed the same editing as above.

I don't want black borders around the pictures so I'm hoping that saving them as 16:9 / 9:16 in PS will allow them, when imported into PE to fill the frame.

Next (tomorrow am), I'm going to try to make a mini movie with your presets and see how it looks.

Btw, can I do a preset or batch transition for all pictures? In a previous version, I had to add a transition between every picture and it was VERY time consuming.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Margaret

Sent from my iPhone

• 10. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

Thanks for the follow up. Your progress sounds great.

Premiere Elements Editor does not have a random transition choice. But, you can set the same default transition more than one at a time.

On the Expert workspace Timeline, select/highlight all the photos involved, and then Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition.

a. selecting more than one photo at a time....Edit Menu/Select All or hold down the Shift key and click on each of the photos that you want for this more than one transition applied at a time.

b. setting default transition...Expert workspace Transition Tab and, in the display of transitions, right click the transition that you want, and then click on the resulting pop up which reads "Set Selected As Default Transition".

Also, if you were not going to do so, please explore clicking on the Edit area monitor image (ones less than 1920 x 1080) to bring up the image's bounding box. Then use one of the bounding box's handles to scale the photo to fill the Edit area 1920 x 1080 space just to the point where no black borders. This will give a zoomed in look, the degree depending on the scaling needed.

Looking forward to learning of your progress as your schedule permits.

Thanks for considering the suggestions.

ATR

• 11. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

ATR,

One quick question before I begin my test movie. If I zoom in on photos

that have a black border, will it pixelate the image or distort it in any

way?

Thanks,

Margaret

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 7:49 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 12. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

ATR,

All the vertical pictures or those that weren't standard 4x6 can't be

"stretched" in PE to get rid of the black boxes on the sides. Is there a

way to do that easily in PS???

HELP.........they look not so good.

Margaret

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 7:49 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 13. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

With the zoom in...that can distort the image, but it depends on the starting size and the degree that you have to zoom in to get a full frame fit....also what might get cut off.

Please look at the Timeline rendered content in making your decision on go or not go for one of those zooming ins.

A few years ago, I wrote up a workflow for using picture in picture effects in one frame, then I used five photos viewed at the same time with center one spinning in and the rest dropping in one by one. Depending on how your present tests turn out, we could consider that effect in the 1080p project for a single photo that becomes distorted when you attempt to fill the frame with it.

ATR

• 14. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

I did not see your post 12 until after I posted a reply to post 11.

What is the problem with

All the vertical pictures or those that weren't standard 4x6 can't be

"stretched" in PE to get rid of the black boxes on the sides.

With the clip highlighted/selected, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and remove the check mark next to the option "Constrain Proportions". That will allow you to scale width and height separately  there or in the Edit area screen with those image bounding box handles.

Alternatively, look at the Photoshop Elements (or Photoshop) Crop tool for cropping your image to a fixed frame aspect ratio with fixed pixel dimensions.

We will be watching for further developments. I suspect that the Constrain Proportions option setting was the problem.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

ATR,

What I'm trying now is to change the scanned image to better fit what is

needed in PE. My options for saving are not what I want, though. I tried to

save as 4:3 but it shows a full screen with the image only on one half!

Would it work to scan the verticals as horizontals and then rotate them in

PS?? All the verticals look horrible!!

Margaret

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 9:19 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 16. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

ATR,

In PS, what should the fixed frame aspect ratio with fixed pixel dimensions

be??

Thanks,

Margaret

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 9:37 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 17. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

For any Photoshop cropping, Crop Tool and width 1920 and height 1080 (for widescreen oriented photos) and Crop Tool width 1080 and height 1920 (for portrait oriented photos). Ignore the Resolution in the Crop options, leave it at 72 ppi.

While scaling is one option for getting rid of black borders for landscape oriented photos, the approach is not expected to fare well with portrait oriented ones.

What are you using for scanning now...iphone 6 or regular flatbed photo scanner. Both should be giving you an option for 16:9 I would think. Please check that out further.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...In your next post could you give me examples of the width and height in pixels of those original portrait oriented photos so that I can do some tests. Are these 4 x 6 portrait oriented photos or smaller?

• 18. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                          Duke Green Level 1

Margaret

Would it be fitting to place 2 verticals side by side, making it fit the 16:9 better? Just a thought. You're already getting expert advice.

Only reason I chimed in was your early post inquired about music clips. I doctor the music I use to fit the timeline. I use a program called Audacity, shareware. It is very easy to take an original mp3, select the part that I want and save that portion as an mp3 to place on the Soundtrack or an Audio track. The clip can then be further trimmed within the timeline very easily. Audacity doesn't take much of a learning curve. Open a song, select, copy, open a new file, then paste into that file. Trim what you don't want, you can even adjust the piece in many ways, reverb, slow or speed tempo, echo, etc.

Hope this helps, best wishes for your project.

Duke

• 19. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

Thanks, Duke!!

That is very helpful as I only want parts of some songs and editing it

while in the PE movie screen is really difficult...

Margaret

• 20. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

Duke,

One snag with Audacity - I can’t use MP4 songs, which is what I have in my iTunes library. Do you know how to copy and convert them to .WAV or something else that Audacity can use??

Thanks,

Margaret

Sent from Surface

• 21. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Duke

Have we ever talked about selective export of Timeline content?

Each of us has a favorite workflow, but have you considered using Premiere Elements itself for the audio....

a. Edit area Work Area Bar gray tabs to span the area of the audio for export

b. Publish+Share/Computer/Audio with preset for MP3 high quality or Windows Waveform

with a check mark next to Share Work Area Bar Only

ATR

• 22. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

If you have iTunes music that will most likely have to be taken into iTunes to convert them to the WAV version. From what you wrote these music files are in the iTunes Library already. You can convert them to mp3 or WAV version for Premiere Elements. I would suggest WAV version. Do you that conversion in iTunes according to the following how to

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - Apple Support

But, let me ask you this first, do these iTunes music files as is import into the Premiere Elements project without import errors?

Also, please see my post to Duke (post numbered 21).

Also, please let me know how your feasibility testing is coming along. If it an uphill battle trying to get your photos without black borders, I will post some samples of how you can have black borders and make them look less like black borders and more like they are part of the frame layout. I will work on that tomorrow if you are interested and ready for that.

Thanks.

ATR

• 23. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                                    Duke Green Level 1

Margaret

I have been able to 'record' music in Audacity. I have my settings for input and output where one will record from another (non-technical explanation).

Hit the red record button in Audacity, then start the tune. Only glitch is having to wait for the thing to play.

I played around with the input and outputs to get it to work, there are pull-down boxes to choose from, your setup may allow it.

Meanwhile, I will play with what ATR is suggesting. I don't know if that would work w/ mp4s or not. If PE does the job, that's one less program to mess with.

I don't think I have any mp4s on my PC, but if I do, I will give it a try.

Good luck.

Duke

• 24. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                                      Duke Green Level 1

Margaret

I was able to play an .mp4 (it was a video file w/ sound) in QuickTime player and record it into Audacity using the method above.

• 25. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

What is the file extension of your iTunes music (m4a or other)?

ATR

• 26. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                                          Duke Green Level 1

ATR

No, we haven't talked about that.

I just messed with it a bit. You know, I never realized there was a scroll bar to the right of the options under Publish+Share-Computer/Mobile/etc-... All I saw were the first three items that were there, never realized there were more.

I will work with that in the next project. It seems that PE is much more accepting of any sort of media than Audacity. Thanks for the expanding horizon.

Margaret

That will work. Don't even mess w/ conversion or Audacity. PE should take the mp4 directly. To get the snippet, I would put the tune at the very end of the project (PE does some things I don't expect when I work with cuts and inserts sometimes)

Then trim until you get what you want and bring it back into the spot it belongs. Just clean up the tail end of the project before you publish.

Duke

• 27. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

MP4 - iTunes

Sent from my iPhone

• 28. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

Just about to call it a day.

Please let us know if you can import that iTunes music described as .mp4 into the Premiere Elements project with the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

Thanks.

ATR

• 29. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

OK... I went in a different direction. I made the movie using iMovie. It looks great BUT I can't burn it to DVD.

I imported it into PE and it says the disc isn't big enough. However, it's a 4.7 Gb disc and the movie is only 1.4 Gb. What am I doing wrong???  I did this before and it worked fine!!!

It encodes it all then the burn starts and just gets to 4% and kicks the disc out.

HELP

Margaret

Sent from my iPhone

• 30. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

Thanks for the update.

Those DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes is in reality 4.38 GB, but that should have been OK for Space Required 1.4 GB with or without a check mark next to "Fit Content To Available Space".

When you were in the Premiere Elements burn dialog before you hit Burn (with your DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes in the burner tray), what did the Quality area of the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate with and without a check mark next to "Fit Content To Available Space"?

What was the exact message about disc is not big enough - and where was it - in burn dialog Status field or some place else?

ATR

• 31. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

ATR,

The dialogue boxes only show if I choose to save to folder... not to disc.

They say that the space required is 1.54 Gb and bitrate is 8.00 Mbps. This is for 4.7 Gb folder and NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. That is with Fit Contents checked.

Without it checked, it only requires 349.00 Mb and a 1.69 Mbps bitrate.

Both were set for "most video, not highest quality".

Obviously, I want the best quality in a format my whole family can view. I've burned like this before - from iMovie - why isn't it working this time? I've already wasted 3 DVDs!!!

Thanks,

Margaret

Should I use

Sent from my iPhone

• 32. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

ATR,

With disc in...

Fit contents = 1.54 Gb, 8.00 Mbps

No Fit contents = 349 Mb, 1.69 Mbps

Same for ISO image

Margaret

Sent from my iPhone

• 33. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

ATR,

I have an HP Lightscribe 1170 external DVD drive.

Margaret

Sent from my iPhone

• 34. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

Until we find why the burn to disc is failing, as the mark of success, please use the burn to Folder (4.7 GB) and look for the saved folder in the hard drive save location that you designated in the burn dialog.

Important: the exact wording of the message about too big - is that message in the burn dialog's Status field stating something like Insufficient Space? In the burn dialog, leave a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space".

The other possibility is that your have the Disk Encoding scratch disks pointed to a location with too little free hard drive space. Please go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, look at the Disk Encoding category and how much free hard drive space is at the hard drive save location for the Encoded Files.

My last understanding that you were using Microsoft Surface Windows 8.1 64 bit operating system and Premiere Elements 13.

a. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and look for the preference named "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher)". Determine if it makes a different in the burn to with or without the check mark.

Please more information on the too big message. And, please let me know if I am in sync with your current details.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Please confirm that Premiere Elements 13 burn to disc has worked before for your computer operating system.

• 35. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

ATR,

The error message was in the burn dialogue and said the bitrate was too high - I couldn't read the whole thing as it went off my screen to the right...

Margaret

Sent from my iPhone

• 36. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

Add on to my post numbered 34...

The burn to Folder (4.7 GB) will be good for troubleshooting as well as using up discs.

If that works, we will use ImgBurn to take the VIDEO_TS Folder in the saved folder to DVD disc with your DVD-VIDEO format on that disc.

When and if we need it, this is the link for that

How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

Supplemental information to follow.

ATR

• 37. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Margaret

I think we posted at the same moment in the last two posts.

In the realm of error messages, your error message has a clearer path to solution than if you had gotten another type.

What you got was a Data Rate error message.

This is what we will do.

In the burn dialog, remove the check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space.

Focus on the Quality slider starting at its max 8.00 Mbps and lower the bitrate to 7.5 Mbps.

Do the burn to. Is it now successful?

If not, lower the bitrate a little bit lower, say 6.95 Mbps.

Do the burn to. Is it now successful?

The goal is to move the quality slider to the left only to the point where the burn to does not result in the error message at the setting.

ATR

• 38. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

I'll try that. Sounds like I'll go though a few discs though...

Will the rate affect the quality of the movie?

Also, what type (regular or DVD Widescreen), would be better for a general audience who all have good tvs??

Thanks,

Margaret

Sent from my iPhone

• 39. Re: What size photo is best to use in a movie?

ATR,

I also keep getting this error message on start up of the program. "There is no disc in the drive. Please insert a disc into drive E:"

I don't have an E drive!!

Margaret

Sent from my iPhone

1 2 Previous Next