2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2015 10:13 AM by sashap49669979

RAM Preview Issue with Short, Basic Clip...

sashap49669979

Hi! I'm still at a fairly beginner level on After Effects so maybe this is a routine problem that I'm just not recognizing, but I'm having so much difficult with such a simple-seeming problem. I'm working on a tiny, 15 second clip. Right now it's literally just a little silhouette image of a car and I'm having it move on a path from right to left. It's running fine, but at the 7.5 second mark the render bar cuts out and the RAM preview skips over it and moves back to the beginning. For the life of me, I can't figure out why. Does anyone know why such a simple action is refusing to playback?

• 1. Re: RAM Preview Issue with Short, Basic Clip...
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE? What OS?

Ram preview is just that, a preview based on the available ram. CC 2015 handles things a bit differently but the quality and length of the preview depend on your system resources. The default is also for the RAM preview to run for the length of the work area. Here are a couple of suggestions. Set the Zoom factor for your composition window to 50% and set the resolution to Auto. Make sure that the work area covers the part of the animation that you want to preview. Let us know how it goes. AE is an app specifically designed to do effects and motion graphics shots and short sequences. You want to use a NLE like Premiere Pro to assemble those shots or short sequences into a movie.

• 2. Re: RAM Preview Issue with Short, Basic Clip...
            sashap49669979 Level 1

Thank you! I am using AE cc, on a mac with OS X Yosemite. Your suggestion of resetting the zoom factor, and setting the resolution to auto seems to have done the trick.