4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2015 2:56 PM by Sandee Cohen

choose your own story

hiimyasmin

I am making an ebook that I want to structure like a choose your own story book. After the first page you have buttons for different routes you can take (option 1, option 2, option 3)The ending for every route is the same.  If you choose to go through the story for option 2, how do i make it so that they never have to see option 1 or 3 and so that every option goes to the same ending?

• 1. Re: choose your own story
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Same question as to your other posting:

What ebook format are you talking about?

It could be interactive PDF, EPUB (reflowable or fixed layout), SWF, Publish Online.

• 2. Re: choose your own story
            hiimyasmin Level 1

it's a fixed layout ePub

• 3. Re: choose your own story
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm moving your question to the InDesign EPUB forum.

• 4. Re: choose your own story
                Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

OK, I gave you an answer using MSOs in your other post, but this is different.

Buttons can be set to take someone to a specific page. So lets say your story starts on page 1 and on page 2 they are given a choice. (For instanced, it's a murder mystery and the reader gets to choose who the murderer is.)

On page 2 there are three buttons. Button 1 says the Butler did it. Clicking that button takes the reader to page 3. For the next 7 pages (till page 10) they would use the Next page buttons to advance through the book. On page 10 there is a button that sends them to page 27, the end of the book.

However, on page 2 Button 2 says the daughter did it. Clicking that button takes the reader to page 11. For the next 7 pages (till page 18) they would use the Next page buttons to advance through the book. On page 18 there is a button that sends them to page 27. The end of the book.

However, on page 2 Button 3 says it was suicide. Clicking that button takes the reader to page 19. For the next 7 pages (till page 26) they would use the Next page buttons to advance through the book. On page 26 there is a button that sends them to page 27.

Now, would it be possible for the reader to scroll around using the FXL interface and thumbnails to see the other options? Yes. But books like this have always had that possibility.

There are all sorts of nuances where all three options lead to the same page and then new options take the reader elsewhere.

Also, the pages don't have to be arranged sequentially. The reader can be taken back and forth in the book.

It's a fun exercise and a GREAT use of interactivity.