3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2015 10:57 PM by Willi Adelberger

Page "numbering" to include book covers?

Jack Level 1

The index of my book of photographs will be on subjects of the photos. Question is, how do I handle the “page numbers” of the front and back covers (which will have their own photos), so that images appearing on them will be indexed along with all other genera? Is there an acceptable way to map the first and last pages of the book as “Front cover” and “Back cover”, and keep the rest of the page numbering intact, i.e., first interior page is still p. 1, etc.? I’m guessing that some custom “numbering” methods may be available?

• 1. Re: Page "numbering" to include book covers?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Normally numbering in Books starts either with the first page inside, with the first page of toc or with the first page after toc.

You could use sections and define a prefix for the different sections. In German wie use often U1 (Umschlag) for cover page 1, U2 for cover inside, U3 and U4 for the last cover pages, so the prefix would be a simple U. You might use Prefix "Cover " to show it correctly.

• 2. Re: Page "numbering" to include book covers?
            Jack Level 1

Vielen Dank Willi!

(Many thanks!)

I like the Umschlag- idea and the use of separate sections for clean bookkeeping.

Those U- page-numbers are easily converted to (FC), (BC) prior to final commitment to the printer (all I have to do is remember to do so!).

Funny, U-2 brought to mind a rather nasty international incident that took place about 55 y. ago. I remembered names of the principals (Ike, Powers,  NK) like it was yesterday.

(Hans-Wolfgang)

• 3. Re: Page "numbering" to include book covers?
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Often (in my case always) I make the cover as separate file and include both, content and cover into a common book, so that automatic references will work. The cover contains mostly 3 pages (or with the inside 6 pages), facing pages, but with 3 pages each in 2 spreads. The spine's width is changed when selected with the page tool.