10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 9:46 AM by averyn75332654

How to import a full Photoshop Elements catalog in Lightroom 6

romualdr85707408 Level 1

Hi,

I have Elements 11 installed on a PC and I am upgrading to Lightroom 6 on a Mac.

I see that in Lightroom 5, there are specific functions to import an Elements Catalog, but this option seems to have disappeared from Lightroom 6. (see Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Import photos into Lightroom)

So, what is the procedure to follow with Lightroom 6?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to import a full Photoshop Elements catalog in Lightroom 6
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi romualdr85707408

The Process to Import Adobe Elements catalog is the same in Lightroom 6.Access it from File>>Upgrade Photoshop Elements Catalog.

Possible causes:-

• Not Accessing the Option File>>Upgrade from Photoshop Elements Catalog from Library Module
          • Missing Files in Elements Catalog(Re-link missing Files)
          • Corrupt catalog (Repair the elements catalog)

You could Point Lightroom to import a specificPhotoshop Elements Catalog.

• To choose different catalog.Open Photoshop Elements and open the desired catalog.
          • Close Photoshop elements
          • In Lightroom Click Change to navigate to different catalog
          • Select catalog and Upgrade it.

112233.PNG

Helpful Link:-Lightroom cannot upgrade Elements Organizer catalogs

Let me know if that helps

Regards

~Akash

• 2. Re: How to import a full Photoshop Elements catalog in Lightroom 6
            romualdr85707408 Level 1

Thanks a lot Akash. My initial problem is that under the File menu there is no "Upgrade Photoshop Elements Catalog". Any idea why that would be?

• 3. Re: How to import a full Photoshop Elements catalog in Lightroom 6

Hi romualdr85707408

Please make sure Photoshop Elements 11 is installed Properly on your Computer.

Let us know if that helps

Regards

~Akash

• 4. Re: How to import a full Photoshop Elements catalog in Lightroom 6
                deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi Romuald,

Sometimes the Photoshop Elements is installed first and then thereafter the Lightroom is installed. It cloud be Possible it is not able to recognize the catalog from the Photoshop Elements. So Lets try to reinstall the Lightroom, I would request you to uninstall the Lightroom with "preference remove option checked" and then reinstall the Lightroom.

Could you also tell what is the version of the Photoshop Elements you are using.

*Any 3rd party Plugins, Brushes, or filter may get lost . Please take a backup for them.

Thanks

• 5. Re: How to import a full Photoshop Elements catalog in Lightroom 6
                  99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How large is your Elements catalog? The problem is that there is no Elements cataolg installed on the Mac for Lightroom to recognize. The only way to overcome this is to use the Backup and Restore process built into Organizer in order to copy everything to the Mac. Unless you have already transferred all of your images, the link below gives details of the procedure for all versions of PSE from v6 onwards.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catalog-photoshop.html

• 6. Re: How to import a full Photoshop Elements catalog in Lightroom 6
                    romualdr85707408 Level 1

Thanks Akash.

I have installed Elements on the Mac as well now.

I'm now running in another challenge: I have made a full backup on the PC. However when trying to restore it on the Mac, it pops a message saying that this full backup is an incremental one.

Even if I ignore the message, the restore fails as it requires additional files.

Any thoughts on why that is?

• 7. Re: How to import a full Photoshop Elements catalog in Lightroom 6
                      romualdr85707408 Level 1

Thanks a lot everyone. I've managed to do my transition, although it has not been without challenges.

Here is what I ended up doing:

1. Install Lightroom on my PC

2. Upgrade the Lr catalog based on the Elements catalog.

3. Backup files and Lr catalog.

4. Copy everything on the Mac

Some of the challenges I encountered in the process.

1. I didn't realise at the beginning that I needed to have BOTH Lightroom and Elements installed on the same computer for the transition to be available

2. I tried to install Elements on the Mac and restore my PC backups from Elements. It failed! All my full backups in Elements (PC) were either not recognised, or wrongly identified as incremental backups by Elements on the Mac.

Thanks again. All done now

• 8. Re: How to import a full Photoshop Elements catalog in Lightroom 6
                        averyn75332654

I have this issue to - my options are to "import a Photoshop Elements Catalog".  I have PSE 13 and it works fine.  I try to import into LR and a box pops up and it processes to exactly 8.3% every time and then just disappears.  Any help from anyone?

• 9. Re: How to import a full Photoshop Elements catalog in Lightroom 6

Hi  averyn

Thanks for Posting on Adobe Forums!

Could you please create a new catalog with 30- 40 images in PSE 14 and try to import this Catalog In Lightroom.

Please share the result with us.

Regards

Akash

• 10. Re: How to import a full Photoshop Elements catalog in Lightroom 6
                            averyn75332654 Level 1

I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that I got it to work.  The bad news is that I have no idea what made it work.  Below is the saga:

I have been working on getting this to work in my spare time and in between traveling on vacation and traveling on business.  What all I remember is outlined below:

I did as suggested and made a new PSE13 catalog with only 40 or so pictures in it and that uploaded fine.

Tried the full catalog and no luck.

I applied an automatic update to PSE13; updates to LR; reinstalled Windows 10.

No luck.

I gave up and just started cleaning up folders and such on my laptop.  I inadvertently did something that pretty much wiped out everything I ever had on my laptop...

Fortunately I had my PSE13 catalog backed up to a hard drive and everything else backed up with Norton.

I restored everything and then went back to cleaning up... what I mean by cleaning up is that with all of the efforts of restoring the PSE catalogs and installing and re-installing Windows 10 I had "photo" folders, Adobe folders, and such multiplied... and couldn't tell which was the one that was being read from. 

So I got all of that "cleaned up" but when I opened PSE13 - all of the pictures were disconnected (I had obviously not exactly replicated the previous folder structure)... 

I ran the process and reconnected all of them.

A few days later I was just about to call and have my LR subscription shut off when I decided to give it one more go... and it worked...  It imported 99% of the 16,000+ just fine.  It gave messages about a couple unacceptable formats and videos etc. but everything was fine.  I then had it synchronize with the mobile devices and that worked just fine too.  It took it 3 days but that was about what I expected.

Now I am exploring LR functionality and so far so good.  One thing I noted was that scanned photos where I had changed the "capture date" to be the approximate year that the photo was taken but had NOT put a month but left it with ??? in that field showed up in LR as "unknown date"...  I am just going back into PSE for those 2,000+ photos and putting a month.  I have scanned historical family photos dating back to 1908 so it is important to me that the time line be accurate.  I also have run facial recognition from PSE on all of them and have every single picture of my Dad tagged so that when he passed I was very quickly able to find them all across the years and pull them together for a slide show.  Preserving that tagging is why I was so adamant about importing my catalog from PSE13 into LR.