25 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2017 2:56 PM by spinkchadillac

InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files

bkish Level 1

We want to use the Creative Cloud file collaboration in our design group. The only problem is, we all need to open the same InDesign files at separate times. So for instance, we need to open a magazine cover to design it, then an editor can get in there and add headlines.

The problem we are seeing with using Creative Cloud file collaboration is that the temporary lock .idlk file that is created when the InDesign file is open does not sync, so no one knows the file is open by another user. This will cause major headaches when trying to get into the same file, and many different version of the layout.

We usually work off a local SMB server, so when someone has a file open, only one user can get in because of the .idlk file.

Is anyone else using Creative Cloud Files like this, or seeing this same problem? Any help or answers would be awesome.

• 1. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
          pskow Level 1

This happens to us too.  Can anyone offer any insight?

• 2. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
            wharress Adobe Employee

Hi, please check out Error: "Unable to sync files"

The Creative Cloud Desktop application shows "Unable to Sync" files error when attempting to sync a file in use or locked from another application.

Some applications have lock mechanisms to prevent conflicts from occurring when the file is opened from one or more locations. For example, Adobe InDesign creates a *.idlk file beside the *.indd file while they are open.

Save and close the file when you're done editing it and the error goes away.

• 3. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
              bkish Level 1

Yes, we know that, but we don't get an error message of "unable to sync" and the .idlk file doesn't sync at all. So we can all open the same InDesign document all at the same time. It doesn't lock anyone out. Any solutions?

• 4. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                wharress Adobe Employee

I am sorry, we don't have any further information regarding this, we do not sync lock files at this time for reasons mentioned above.

• 5. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                  bkish Level 1

I'm not sure you are following...

Basically, how can we collaborate on an InDesign file in our design group if we can't lock each other out when that file is open?

You're telling me we can't? So there's no point on collaborating on InDesign files because the .idlk doesn't sync? 

• 6. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                    bkish Level 1

Anyone with an answer on this...How are we supposed to collaborate on Indesign files?

• 7. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                      wharress Adobe Employee

I have moved this thread to the InDesign forum where someone here can hopefully help you in answer your questions.

• 8. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What version are you using? I believe there was a bug (now patched) early on where lock files were not properly honored over network connections.

• 9. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                          bkish Level 1

Correct...it works fine over network connections. The idlk file locks us out of the document and only one person can have it open at a time. We are on the latest version of everything (Adobe CC and Mac OS)

The problem is with using Creative Cloud files. When we go to collaborate on an InDesign document, the idlk file does not sync, allowing all of us in the same document at the same time, and basically saving over each others changes.

It's hard to believe that no one else is having this problem.

Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 8.18.29 AM.png

• 10. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

AFAIK, idlk files don’t sync anywhere, including Dropbox.

It’s essential therefore that communication be handled properly so only one person at a time is working on the document.

• 11. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                              bkish Level 1

That's what we're finding out. The lock files don't sync anywhere except on a local server. But don't you think they should sync with Adobe Creative Cloud files? This is supposed to be a collaboration service and tool, and it doesn't really work that way. How are we supposed to collaborate on InDesign docs?

So I'm in Ohio, and every time I want to work on a document, I have to call my designer in Florida to make sure he is not in the same document? That makes no sense. Seems like Adobe should come up with a solution for this...

• 12. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can always make a feature request here:

Feature Requests/Bug Reports

• 13. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                                  cvblakley225 Level 1

I'm having this exact same problem! It's extremely frustrating because it's inhibiting our flexibility to work outside of the office. At the office we work off of a server and it works fine, but I want to be able to work off a cloud and the other designers not be able to open an InDesign document while I'm in it, and vice versa. This seems like something so basic and it's absurd to me that Adobe hasn't offered any solution here.

• 14. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                                    spinkchadillac Level 1

What a major shortcoming. I really hope this can be resolved. I discovered this bug the hard way after conducting a production entirely over CC instead of our local server. We lost hours of editing changes after we discovered that InCopy revisions were not being saved.  

I'm failing to see the value of Creative Cloud folders if it doesn't allow effective COLLABORATION without the risk of losing hard work. Creative Cloud was billed as the future for cloud based collaboration and can't believe that .idlk's (the most essential workflow feature between InDesign and InCopy) DOES NOT WORK!!

The CC would be a perfect workflow environment if this one feature (idlk) actually worked. I love that CC gives notifications when files are added or updated. It works great to have CC access during press checks. I can easily open the working files through my laptop and submit any revisions on the spot. I pains me to lose this functionality due to a small, but serious, shortcoming of the CC platform.

Don't know if this would resolve the issue, but is there any way to alter the state of .idlk from hidden to visible? I'm seeing the hidden .idlk file on my end, but not on my collaborators side (who also has "show hidden files" active)

I will pose the question to the Creative Cloud community as well.

• 15. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files

Post it there and I can almost assure you someone there will move it back here.

Nothing's changed from answer in September. Remote collaborative workflows require communication.

You may want to look at Truedit from MEI. It's not free but you'll avoid this situation.

• 16. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                                        spinkchadillac Level 1

I am aware that collaboration requires communication. Suggesting communication as a solution to this problem is akin to a mechanic suggesting to fix a broken car by putting more wheels on it. Our workflow requires collaboration on a publication involving editing anywhere from 40 - 50 articles at a time. Having to verbally alert my colleague every time I am opening or closing an article would be insanity and waaaaaaay too open for miscommunication. Not to mention how disruptive to the thought process it would be to interrupt each other every 5 min to find out if we can open an assignment.

Perhaps we could devise a system using a deck of cards that would represent the articles. When the editor generates an article, they would write the slug on the face of the card and put it in the deck. Whenever someone needs to make edits we would take card from the deck and place it up our sleeve. When we're done editing we would then put the card back in the deck... Problem solved!

Pardon my sarcasm there... I really love the CC environment and all the functionality it provides with Libraries and Assets, however, I'm having a hard time understanding why Adobe doesn't fix the .idlk issue if a third party has found a solution. 

• 17. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files

I’m just the messenger. All I can give you is the facts.

I’m not an engineer so I don’t know the tech beyond the reasoning for this but I know with Dropbox I always see an error stating those files can’t be synced. I suspect that’s the same issue with CC.

• 19. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                                            ACL-Kraeg Level 1

Not certain if you've had this solved yet, however we've had a lot of success using the InDesign/InCopy workflow using the Assignments palette. If text is the only thing that others may be working on this will be the solution for you. It has many options for a shared environment and we're currently experimenting with using Creative Cloud servers as well as our own. The separate sections that we choose to designate can only be checked out and edited by one person at a time. InCopy allows the editor to see the file in Layout mode so their experience is much like that in InDesign.

I understand your frustration – this solution has worked well for us.

• 20. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                                              dorynemilo Level 1

I think what is frustrating myself and other users is that fact something that use to work so well has now been disabled and rendered useless by the company that created it, in the first place.  I would totally understand if it was dropbox or some other cloud base competitor but its Adobe.  InCopy sometimes takes a while to sync, we are currently trialling ACL-Kraeg suggestion between myself and the editor, but we get frustrated of all the extra steps required in comparison to the old way. So the question is - Why can't creative cloud sync locked files? Why are monthly subscribers unable to use the functions that we've paid for?

• 21. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                                                ACL-Kraeg Level 1

My only guess is that previously it was an "accidental feature", something that was never meant for the purpose you were using it for, but worked really well for that purpose. As they develop the software along other lines (using workflows with Creative Cloud) it perhaps inadvertently stopped that almost-feature from happening. Adobe has always been pretty good at furthering and developing their software, at least from my perspective, and I can't imagine they'd intentionally take away a useful feature like that unless it wasn't intended to be there in the first place.

I hope the InDesign/InCopy workflow works out for you. We find it very useful here. I have tried using it with Box and with Creative Cloud. I find Creative Cloud sync's almost instantly for us where Box has a lag of several minutes.

• 22. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                                                  jamesfrankham Level 1

Any progress on this fix?

We're collaborating using CC and having no end of problems with over-writing InDesign files with remote users—an issue we didn't have when using a network share only. The solution, as everyone has pointed out, is for Adobe to sync idlk on it's cloud service or else rely on a third party provider (TruEdit) to make Adobe's cloud service work properly... which is daft.

We've tried cloud-syncing a network share which has other issues, and Google Drive which doesn't sync idlk files, and DropBox (same). You'd think that Adobe's cloud service would be designed around collaborating like this—someone please tell me that it is...

• 24. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                                                    dorynemilo Level 1

Sorry James

We've gone back to the server.  ACL-Kraeg solution does work, it does take some time but it is less frustrating.

We've gone back because of all the other 'bugs' in creative cloud - mainly creative cloud deleting files with out your permission. I think it will be sometime before creative cloud manages to live up to its other Adobe products high expectations.

• 25. Re: InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files
                                                      spinkchadillac Level 1

CC still does not generate .idlk files. I have had luck with Dropbox, as it does generate the lock files needed, however, I did experience stability issues. I can't remember exactly what happened, but it was enough for me to abandon the dropbox workflow.

I'll update if I can recall exactly what occurred.