9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2015 5:58 PM by A.T. Romano

Making a DVD with multiple project files/best file format for export (PE13)

alsyarn

Hi! I have Premiere Elements 13 (just upgraded from 10) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to save my movie to DVD. There will be at least two different project files (the movie, the bloopers and possibly a "making of" video) that I want to put on the same DVD with a menu. A couple of years ago, trying to do this with Premiere Elements 10, I couldn't make it work and had to use a separate DVD menu software. I can do this again if I need to, but the software I used has been lost so I thought I'd check to see if it can be done in Premiere before I go buy it again.

If I can't do it all in Premiere, I need advice about the best format to save the project files to burn them to the DVD later. I'm somewhat of a novice, and most of those formats look like gibberish to me! I have had issues in the past (a couple years ago) with a black border appearing around the movie after it had been saved, reducing the size of the movie, and I'm hoping to avoid that....

The movie is approx. 1 1/2 hrs long

The bloopers are about 17 minutes

If further info is needed to help answer my questions I will be glad to find it!

• 1. Re: Making a DVD with multiple project files/best file format for export (PE13)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

alsyarn

Premiere Elements 10 and 13/13.1 should be the same with regard to matter of assets for a project as you describe from different sources.

If your assets for the grand project are now in several different project files, then you need to export the Timeline contents from each project file to video file saved to the computer hard drive and from there import the export into the grand project. For the export, consider Lagarith.avi, AVCHD.mp4. Keep the settings consistent through the workflows.

Where are you heading on this - DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc? Both can be produced with a regular DVD/CD burner, but the AVCHD on DVD cannot be played back on regular DVD player - needs Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD or one of the multi media players that supports AVCHD DVD.

If this is an AVCHD DVD project, remember that stop markers used in the Timeline of this type of project are not recognized in the burn to disc product when that product is played back on the player. Same for Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disk. Stop markers function in DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

With the information supplied, you should be thinking DVD disc 8.5 GB/240 minutes. And consider that 8.5 GB is in reality 7.95 GB.

With disc in burner tray, check the burn dialog for Space Required and Bitrate readings.

Please review and consider. If any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Making a DVD with multiple project files/best file format for export (PE13)
            alsyarn Level 1

Thank you for your response. Based on what you've said, I think I'll probably go ahead and get my DVD authoring software since I know how to use it and like all of the extra menu features it has. That being said, what file format do you recommend saving the projects as to burn to the disc later? I know I've used .mp4 in the past, but there are (if I remember correctly) tons of variations on .mp4 among my options in Premiere 13 and I think I only used it because it was one of the few that I recognized. I'd like the best quality possible to fit onto the disc.

The video is widescreen, and I do need it to be playable on a regular DVD player. My sister (who does the actual editing) says that we usually use one of the mp4 options under the AVCHD category. She tried saving the file as AVCHD>MP4 - H264 1920x1080 30, and the video quality and clarity were good, but there was a black box around the outside when she went to play the file on the computer.

• 3. Re: Making a DVD with multiple project files/best file format for export (PE13)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

alsyarn

If you want to save the project's end product for later use for DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc, then consider

a. Publish+Share/Disc/DVD with burn to = Folder (8.5 GB).

The saved folder contains OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder. Provided you are using Premiere Elements Windows, you take only the VIDEO_TS Folder to a free program such as ImgBurn. How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

in order to get your end product DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with menus if menus were part of the original project.

b. Publish+Share/Disc/DVID with burn to = ISO Image (8.5 GB)

Here you end up with a file with an .iso file extension and that .iso represents your project (menus also if menus were  part of the original project).  Provided you are using Premiere Elements Windows, you take this .iso file to Img Burn in order to get your end product DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with menus if menus were part of the original project.

c. You can save the project as a movie file, but no menus are available in this choice. You would import this movie file export into a new project and create the menus at that time. For this, you could consider

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 NTSC DV Widescreen

compare

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = NTSC DVD Widescreen

and

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI

with Presets = DV NTSC Widescreen

But, I suspect that you are running into problems with workflow aspect ratio.

What are the properties of what you are importing into the project - 4:3 or 16:9.

You want a 16:9 import/project for a 16:9 export or a 4:3 import/project for a 4:3 export.

Of concern

The video is widescreen, and I do need it to be playable on a regular DVD player. My sister (who does the actual editing) says that we usually use one of the mp4 options under the AVCHD category. She tried saving the file as AVCHD>MP4 - H264 1920x1080 30, and the video quality and clarity were good, but there was a black box around the outside when she went to play the file on the computer.

We need more information about his widescreen video. Once it is imported into the project, what does Premiere Elements show for its properties when you right click the file's thumbnail in Project Assets and select Properties?

We need to examine the project preset that was actually set for the project. Please tell us the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. Also, are you sure that Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30?

ATR

• 4. Re: Making a DVD with multiple project files/best file format for export (PE13)
                alsyarn Level 1

There are three different sources for the video clips.

Source 1 video properties are as follows:

Type: MPEG Movie

Image Size: 1920 x1080

Frame Rate: 29.97

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Source 2:

Type: Windows Media

Image Size: 720x480

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Source 3:

Type: Quicktime Movie

Image Size: 720x480

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.2121

The project settings are as follows:

Editing Mode: Sony XDCAM EX 720p

Timebase: 30.00 frames/second

Frame Size: 640 horizontal/480 vertical

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

The presets she used to export the file was MP4 H264 1920x1080p30. Of course, it turns out that the file size is way too big to fit on a DVD, so clearly this was not the best format to use....

• 5. Re: Making a DVD with multiple project files/best file format for export (PE13)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

alsyarn

Thanks for the important information for troubleshooting your Premiere Elements burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc so that it presents throughout without black borders.

Open Premiere Elements 13/13.1 to its Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset manually to

NTSC

DV Widescreen

To do that follow the following sequence

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                  • In Change Settings, set the project preset to NTSC/DV Widescreen. OK out of there.
                  • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                  • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

Import your Source 3 (720 x 480 widescreen displayed 16:9)---that should fill the Edit area monitor space which is a DV Widescreen size space.

Import your Source 1 (1920 x 1080 16:9)---that should fill the Edit area monitor space after the project has automatically scaled it to just fill the Edit area monitor space.

Import your Source 2 (720 x 480 which it is what is since it have a pixel aspect ratio of 1.0)---that will not fit properly. You scale that video in the Edit area monitor to just fit the monitor space without black borders.

It is not clear why the 720p project settings were set for this instead of NTSC DV Widescreen. But, please set up your project as described above and then export as suggested.

I have suggested the above based on destination DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. When you have a Timeline with more than one format, you set for the major and fit everything else in with scaling in the Edit area monitor space established by the project preset. General guideline --- the project preset should match the properties of the source media....and with more than one type format, you set major and fit everything else in with scaling if you do not want black borders.

Another tip...when you want to scale width and height separately in the Edit area monitor, first go to the selected clip's Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and remove the check mark next to Constrain Proportions.

Please consider. And, then we will try to condense this all into a workflow that will work for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Making a DVD with multiple project files/best file format for export (PE13)
                    alsyarn Level 1

Okay, so I did all of the above with short test clips from each source and it worked very well!!! (Source 1 was a tiny bit narrower than the frame, but I was able to scale it just enough to fit.) Does this mean starting over entirely on the project? As I mentioned before, my sister does the editing, and (not knowing any more about aspect ratios than I did), she has just spent a month editing this thing together, layering sound and video and adding various effects. Is there any way to fix the aspect ratios and get rid of the black borders without starting from scratch? Can she copy & paste the timeline into the new project with correct settings? Or is there any way to correct the settings in the original project file?

Thank you very, very much for all of your help!

alsyarn

• 7. Re: Making a DVD with multiple project files/best file format for export (PE13)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

alsyarn

Thanks for exploring the suggestions for a possible Premiere Elements workflow to meet your video presentation goal.

In Premiere Elements 13/13.1, once the project preset is established, you cannot change the project settings. Edit Menu/Project Settings/General is OK for verify the settings, but you cannot do any significant edits of the project there. So, you start a new project with the project preset needed to match the properties of the source media. In versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 13, in certain circumstances, one could make changes in the project settings without starting a new project. That involved editing the Notepad document of the saved closed project.

But, here is what we are going to try.

Good news is that your 720p project preset is a 16:9 one. And, your Source 1 and 3 are 16:9 video.

Determine if you can go through the Edit area Timeline, and scale each Timeline file to fit the Edit area space just to the point of no black borders. When you get to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, you should still go with NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby as the preset for the burn to disc.

Please let me know if that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Making a DVD with multiple project files/best file format for export (PE13)
                        alsyarn Level 1

Sorry for the long delay in replying... We tried re-scaling in the original project file and still had the black border. So, my sister made notes about which clips, effects, etc. she had used in which order and started a new project with the correct settings. She's almost done now, and it's working fine. Thank you very much for your help!!!!!!!

• 9. Re: Making a DVD with multiple project files/best file format for export (PE13)
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

alsyarn

Thanks for the update. Wonderful news that all is working fine. Great job working with the new project to gain success.

Any questions with your Premiere Elements projects, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes to you and your sister.

ATR