10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2015 6:26 PM by BartonGarrett256

Workstation specs

billysurfmartin Level 1

For PP 2015 and Audition editing:

MotherboardADK - LGA1150: Z97 3x 16X PCIe, 4x PCIe 1x, dual channnel DDR3 1600, M.2, USB3, S
      ProcessorIntel - Core i7 4790 Haswell 3.6GHz Quad 8 meg cache with HT
      Processor 2None
      CPU CoolingADK - ADK Quiet and Cool CPU and Case cooling solution
      Quieting/Xtra Coolingincluded
      Memory32 Gig (4x 8Gig) DDR4 2666 1.25V
      Operating SystemMicrosoft - Windows Pro 10 64 Bit OEM
      OS/Programs DriveSEAGATE - 500G 16Meg Sata 600 1 yr warranty ST500DM002
      Source Drive(s)Western Digital - 1 TB Black 7200 rpm - Serial ATA 6.0Gb/s - 64 Meg Cache 5yr warranty
      Render Drive(s)Western Digital - 1 TB Black 7200 rpm - Serial ATA 6.0Gb/s - 64 Meg Cache 5yr warranty
      Graphics CardGeForce GTX750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
      ADK-I7-DVC$2,656.00

OR

HP Z440 F1M42UT Minitower Workstation

3 x Crucial 8GB 288-Pin RDIMM DDR4 PC4-17000 Memory Module

HP Quadro K2200 Graphics Card

Crucial 512GB MX100 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive

HP 15-in-1 USB 3.0 5.25/3.25" Internal Media Card Reader

Sabrent 3.5" to 2 x 2.5" HDD/SSD Bay Converter

C2G 7-pin 180- to 90-Degree 1-Device Serial ATA Cable - 18"

$2,551.18

• 1. Re: Workstation specs
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

they are similar in terms of performance, cpu and gpu. both would be considered minimum speed/specs for an editing machine. it may come down to choosing between the service and warranty/support.

the adk build you have listed is using the wrong memory, the lga1150 motherboard says ddr3 not ddr4. it would be better to change the motherboard to the lga1151 z170 and the cpu to the i7-6700k and then use the ddr4 memory option. the adk could also be configured with a better/different gpu or drive options if needed.

the hp z440 is workstation grade hardware. it may have better options to upgrade the cpu and ram later, but they will be very expensive. it would be better to spend more on a better system now rather than count on the upgrade later.

• 2. Re: Workstation specs
            billysurfmartin Level 1

Thanks Ronin for this reply.  Are there better options?  Is is possible to have a great editing machine around the 3000 mark or do you have to spend 6 grand?  I will need to edit 4K.

• 3. Re: Workstation specs
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why don't you contact Eric at ADK?  Their online "choose a machine" doesn't always configure things as they should for the best performance.

He is extremely knowledgeable and very honest about performance.

I've purchased two systems from ADK: my main video machine and my everyday machine which acts as a video backup machine.

• 4. Re: Workstation specs
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

i haven't purchased a computer from a custom build shop first hand to recommend one over the other. eric from adk helps out here when he can and he is very knowledgeable. jeff from safe harbor computers also helps out here, they also sell custom computers. there are big name, mass produced pc's that offer somewhat similar components at cheaper prices, but you are loosing quality service and quality parts used in custom builds.

a system like the adk 3900 is going to be much better for 4k editing. a descent basic config will start around $3,500. depending on options like storage and gpu, it could easily get to $4k to $4.5k. if you were to contact adk, im sure they could help configure the system specifically for your projects/workflow.

• 5. Re: Workstation specs
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Get modern and start using SSD;s rather than hard disk drives.  You can rely on Eric or Jeff to interpret your requirements and workflow into a great video editing workstation. 

• 6. Re: Workstation specs
                    BartonGarrett256 Level 3

Also make sure you can upgrade any system you buy- memory, drive bays, video card slots.  How big is the PS? I'd be careful about mini towers, make sure you can add physically more gear and the PS and mother board will support it.  I wouldn't edit without at least 5 drives, 8 is better.  if you are limited to four you are stuck.  How about USB 3 ports?  You need that for external drives.   How are you going to back up?

• 7. Re: Workstation specs

BartonGarrett256 wrote:

I wouldn't edit without at least 5 drives, 8 is better.  if you are limited to four you are stuck.

How about USB 3 ports?

I see you to are living in the past hard drive era.  With the speeds we are now seeing with SSD drives you no longer have to spread your projects out over many drives to get very comfortable editing performance.

If you can get the new USB 3.1 ports on the motherboard you will be even better off with twice the performance of the USB 3.0 speeds.

• 8. Re: Workstation specs
                        BartonGarrett256 Level 3

Interesting, thanks.  I have three SSDs,  a 250 for my C, a 500 for D, and an old 120 I use for odds and ends.  But they are still kinda pricey for my budget.  I'm using two 3TB 7200 drives for project files, and others for stills and libraries.  Last I looked the 1TB SSD drives were ~$500, fast 3TB HDs around $200. My motherboard is an X99, with a 5960 chipset. It also has a slot for a new kind of memory who's name I forget, but it was just coming out when I built the system

Are you suggesting not doing cache, project files and OS on separate drives?

• 9. Re: Workstation specs

That new slot is the fastest thing available!  It is the M,2 PCIe x4 slot and here is what it can do

SM951-Motherboard.png

While today it is limited to 512 GB when have you ever had a project that require that much on-line storage?  With our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) that tests your computer under real live Premiere for CPU, GPU, Disk and Memory testing.  With the SM951 for all your current project files it can write to the SM951 at write rates from many, many tests at 1483 to 1612 MB/second.  I just recently saw the results from an X99 system that only used the SM951 for OS/Applications and all project files that had great results that proved to me that the old adage of having to have multiple hard drives is a thing of the past. My own X99 system is the top scoring benchmark on our web site (you have to register to see the scores). Yes, they are expensive but real performers,  The user that ran the test off the boot drive also had in the system an Intel 750 1.2 TB NVMe SSD and using that drive as the project drive the scores were identical.  So you could get one SM951 512GB drive when your budget allows and take out those others and have better performance. When you finish a project, archive it to the 3 TB drives

• 10. Re: Workstation specs
                            BartonGarrett256 Level 3

Thanks for the update, it sounds like something worth doing,  those are pretty impressive numbers.  It looks like the M,2 price is fairly stable, hopefully someone else will enter the market?

It looks, to me anyway, like the SSD price per "disk" is roughly staying the same but the capacity keeps going up.

I remember an EE friend of my dad bought one of the first electronic watches in the late 70's for $400, a few years later they were free in cereal boxes. I try to hit the middle of that range. But if it can make me faster and the ROI says do it I will.

I benchmarked my system on the PPBM site when I built it, then figured out that the copy of Windows I had was limiting my 64MB of RAM to 16MB.  I upgraded to Windows Pro and it got much faster.