10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2007 3:45 PM by Doug_Aurand

Help With iPIX

stpso440
      Hello,

For the past week I have been trying to get some old iPIX images into Director MX 2004 with no luck. I can get the iPIX ActiveX placeholder to show up but the iPIX image never displays. Obviously I am doing something wrong. Does anyone have a step-by-step guide they could post or point me in the right direction of one?

Regard,
      SFR
        • 1. Re: Help With iPIX
          stpso440 Level 1
          Anyone?
          • 2. Help With iPIX
            stpso440 Level 1
            Any information on iPIX and Director MX 2004 would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else had difficulties with getting iPIX to work with Director MX 2004?
            • 3. Re: Help With iPIX
              duckets Level 1
              If you have the source files, perhaps you could recreate the panoramas by mapping them on to the interior of a 3d model using director's 3d capabilities? This might be fairly easy if you already have a cubic, cylindrical or spherical projection map.

- Ben
              • 4. Re: Help With iPIX
                Level 7
                On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 06:15:16 GMT, stpso440 posted in
                macromedia.director.basics:

> Any information on iPIX and Director MX 2004 would be greatly
                > appreciated. Has anyone else had difficulties with getting iPIX to work
                > with Director MX 2004?

It seems you're the first to post on this topic in about a year.

I haven't read any of these, but does this forum search on groups.google.com
                help?

http://tinyurl.com/yez3kg

--
                Mark A. Boyd
                Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                • 5. Help With iPIX
                  stpso440 Level 1
                  Ben, Mark,

Thank you for responding. I was starting to think everyone was staying away from the iPIX issue. At this point I don't blame them.

Ben - I have zero experience with 3D modeling so you're way over my head when it comes to 3D. By the way, Awesome website!!!

Mark - Thanks for pulling that search for me. I had done a regular Google search and didn't find a good number of the ones you did. Unfortunately I didn't read any that helped me out.

I keep seeing references to an iPIX Xtra for Director. I know iPIX no longer has it available on their website. Does Director MX 2004 have it built in? I can find the ActiveX control for iPIX but I can’t get the files to work. Am I missing a step? I tried calling iPIX about the Xtra but all the phone numbers they have listed on their web site are disconnected.
                  • 6. Re: Help With iPIX
                    Level 7
                    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:30:54 GMT, stpso440 posted in
                    macromedia.director.basics:

> I keep seeing references to an iPIX Xtra for Director. I know iPIX no
                    > longer has it available on their website. Does Director MX 2004 have it
                    > built in?

I doubt it. All the links I can find for the Xtra either go to their home
                    page or end up in a circle.

Uh oh. In my searches I found this forum where bankruptcy is mentioned
                    http://beta.ivrpa.org/node/706 (interestingly, the last message there
                    suggests that Adobe should buy it :)

Then there's the google search for: ipix bankrupt

Looks as if the technology is rather iffy at this stage, though there still
                    seems to be hope amongst the user base.

I have never used it at all, so I won't be able to help much further on this
                    topic. Sorry.

--
                    Mark A. Boyd
                    Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                    • 7. Re: Help With iPIX
                      stpso440 Level 1
                      Well that explains why their phones were disconnected.

Oh well, the search continues.
                      • 8. Re: Help With iPIX
                        duckets Level 1
                        so - do you only have 'ipix' files, or do you have the source images... because if they are in cubic or cylindrical format, it's really not that hard to slap them on to the inside of a cube or a cylinder in 3d.
                        • 9. Re: Help With iPIX
                          stpso440 Level 1
                          No source images. They are on a CD that was running on a kiosk in a museum. The problem we were having is the original creator of the CD placed a “quit” button in the lower right corner of the movie. When a visitor clicks on that button the movie exits and goes back to the computer desktop. We wanted to recreate the CD and remove that button. The employee who created the CD is no longer here and since I had some experience with Flash I figured I would give Director a try.

All I have are 10 .ipx files to work with.
                          • 10. Re: Help With iPIX
                            Doug_Aurand
                            I can supply the iPIX Extra or I can convert the iPIX Images with my iPIX Interactive Studio directly to a format you're more familiar with like QuickTime Cubic VR, W3D or XML

Let me know at DJAurand@aol.com