6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2015 3:20 PM by BobLevine

How can I find out which version of Adobe I have so I can correctly send PDF files

Cookies@Irish43girl

I need to know which version of Adobe I have: apparently there are 6-7-8 & 9  and with each one you upload PDF files differently

• 1. Re: How can I find out which version of Adobe I have so I can correctly send PDF files
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Adobe WHAT? InDesign? Illustrator? Photoshop? Acrobat?

Once you answer that I'll move your post to proper forum. But please also explain what you mean by upload PDF files differently.

• 2. Re: How can I find out which version of Adobe I have so I can correctly send PDF files
            Cookies@Irish43girl Level 1

My computer was hacked a few weeks ago and when I got it back from my repair man, my Adobe (my adobe and everything else looks different--I don't even know if it is the full or if I have a trial edition, though it is installed) . I am trying to send a children 's book with full color cartoon illustrations to Create Space -- they sent me the following information :

Creating a PDF

Note: These steps refer to the PC versions of Adobe Acrobat.
            To create a PDF using a Mac version of Adobe Acrobat, consult your software’s documentation.

There are many ways to create a PDF. What's below is one method we recommend, to help prevent file rejection or printing difficulties. But even with this method, there are so many settings in each file that may cause problems in the PDF, and following these steps cannot always 100% guarantee that your file will be accepted.

For Adobe Acrobat Versions 5.0 and Below:

Step One: Set your Distiller Options

1. Open Acrobat Distiller
            2. Click the "Job Options" drop-down menu
            3. Click "Print"
            4. Go to “Settings” in the menu, and click "Job Options"
            5. Set all compression settings to "Bicubic Downsampling" and "300" DPI
            6. Go to the Fonts tab
            7. Check "Embed All Fonts" and uncheck "Subset Fonts" (Unless you have experience, you should leave everything else at the default settings)
            8. Save the preferences as "CreateSpace PDFs"

Step Two: Printing Your PDF

1. 1. Open your document
              2.    Click "File," and then click "Print"
              3.    Choose "Acrobat Distiller" as the printer in the drop-down menu
              4.    Click "Properties"
              5.    Set your page size, or select "Custom Size" and enter the correct size
              6.    Click "OK"
              7.    Go to the Graphics tab
              8.    Change the resolution to "305" DPI
              9.    Go to the Adobe PDF Settings tab
              10.    In the drop-down menu for conversion settings, choose "CreateSpace PDFs" (or the name you chose in the first step)
              11.     Click "Apply," then click "OK" twice
              12.    You will be prompted to name and save your file
              13.    Upload your file through your CreateSpace member account

For Adobe Acrobat Version 6.0:

For Adobe Acrobat Version 6.0:

1. 1. Open Acrobat Distiller
              2.    Go to the "Settings" drop-down menu
              3.    Choose "High Quality" as the job option
              4.    In the top menu, go to "Settings" and choose "Edit Adobe PDF" settings
              5.    Go to the General tab
              6.    Set Compatibility to "Acrobat 5.0 (PDF 1.4)"
              7.    Go to the "Images" tab
              8.    Set all compression settings to "Bicubic Downsampling" and the resolution to "305" DPI
              9.    Go to the Fonts tab
              10.    Check "Embed All Fonts" and uncheck "Subset Fonts"
              11.    Deselect "Do not send fonts to Adobe PDF"
              12.    Leave everything else as the default option
              13.    Save the preferences as "CreateSpace PDFs"

Step Two: Printing Your PDF

1. 1. Open your document
              3.    Choose "Acrobat Distiller" as the printer in the drop-down menu
              4.    Click "Properties"
              5.    Set your page size, or select "Custom Size" and enter the correct size
              6.    Click "OK"
              7.    Go to the Graphics tab, and change the resolution to "305" DPI
              8.    Go to the Adobe PDF Settings tab
              9.    In the drop-down menu for conversion settings choose "CreateSpace PDFs" or the name you chose in Step One
              10.    Click "Apply," then "OK" twice
              11.    You will be prompted to name and save your file

For Adobe Acrobat Version 7.0:

1. 1. Open your document
              3.    Choose "Acrobat PDF" as the printer in the drop-down menu
              4.    Go to the "Default Settings" drop-down, and click "Edit"
              5.    Go to the "General" tab
              6.    Under "Compatibility," choose "Acrobat 5.0"
              7.    All other settings should remain the same
              8.    Go to the Images tab
              9.    Change the resolution of Color Images to "Downsample to 305 for images above 320"
              10.    Change the resolution of Grayscale Images to "Downsample to 305 for images above 320"
              11.    Go to the "Fonts" tab
              12.    Deselect "Subset Embedded Fonts"
              13.    Select all fonts under "Font Source," and add them to "Always Embed"
              14.    Go to the Color tab
              15.    Select "Leave Color Unchanged" under "Color Management Properties"
              16.    Click "Save As" and name the job option "CreateSpace"
              17.    Click "Save" and then "OK" on the settings window
              18.    Ensure that "Security" is set to "None"
              19.    Select the appropriate page size for your document or create a new size if needed
              20.    Deselect "Do not send fonts to Adobe PDF," and then click "OK"
              21.    You will be prompted to name and save your file
              22.    Upload your file through your CreateSpace member account

For Adobe Acrobat Version 8.0:

1. 1. Open your document
              2.    Go to "File," and then click "Print"
              3.    Choose "Acrobat PDF" as the printer in the drop-down menu
              4.    Click "Properties"
              5.    Go to the "Default Settings" drop-down menu, and click "Edit"
              6.    Go to the "General" tab
              7.    Choose "Acrobat 5.0" under "Compatibility"
              8.    Choose "Off" under "Object Level Compression"
              9.    Choose "Off" under "Auto-Rotate Pages"
              10.    Go to the "Images" tab
              11.    Change the resolution of Color Images to "Downsample to 305 for images above 320," then change the compression to "JPEG" and the image quality to "Maximum"
              12.    Change the resolution of Grayscale Images to "Downsample to 305 for images above 320," then change the compression to "JPEG" and the image quality to "Maximum"
              13.    Go to the "Fonts" tab
              14.    Deselect the "Subset embedded fonts" option
              15.    Select all of the fonts under "Font Source" and add them to "Always Embed"
              16.    Go to the "Color" tab
              17.    Select "Leave Color Unchanged" under "Color Management Policies"
              18.    Click "Save As," and name the job option "CreateSpace"
              19.    Click “Save,” and then “OK” on the settings window
              20.    Ensure that "Security" is set to "None"
              21.    Select the appropriate page size for your document or create a new size if needed
              22.    Deselect "Do not send fonts to Adobe PDF," and then click "OK"
              23.    You will be prompted to name and save your file
              24.    Upload your file through your CreateSpace member account

For Adobe Acrobat Version 9.0 and Above:

1. 1. Open your document
              2.    Click "File" and then click "Print"
              3.    Choose "Adobe PDF" as the printer in the drop-down menu
              4.    Click "Properties"
              5.    Go to the "Default Settings" drop-down menu, and click "Edit"
              6.    Go to the General tab
              7.    Choose "Acrobat 5.0" under "Compatibility"
              8.    Choose "Off" under "Object Level Compression"
              9.    Choose "Off" under "Auto-Rotate Pages"
              10.    Go to the "Images" tab
              11.    Change the resolution of Color Images to Bicubic Downsample to "305" pixels per inch for images above "320" pixels per inch; also change the compression to "JPEG" and image quality to "Maximum"
              12.    Change the resolution of Grayscale Images to Bicubic Downsample "305" pixels per inch for images above "320" pixels per inch; also change the compression to "JPEG" and Image quality to "Maximum"
              13.    Go to the "Fonts" tab
              14.    Deselect the "Subset embedded fonts" option
              15.    Select all of the fonts under "Font Source," and add them to "Always Embed"
              16.    Go to the "Color" tab
              17.    Select "Leave Color Unchanged" under "Color Management Policies"
              18.    Click "Save As," name the job option "CreateSpace," and click "Save"
              19.    Click “OK” and ensure “Adobe PDF Security” is set to “None”
              20.    Select the appropriate page size for your document or create a new size if needed
              21.    Deselect "Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts," and then click "OK"
              22.    Click "OK;" you will be prompted to name and save your file
              23.    Upload your file through your CreateSpace member account

• 3. Re: How can I find out which version of Adobe I have so I can correctly send PDF files

None of this has anything to do with Digital Publishing Solution and until you can actually tell me what Adobe applications you're using I'm afraid there's no way to help you.

• 4. Re: How can I find out which version of Adobe I have so I can correctly send PDF files
                Cookies@Irish43girl Level 1

Adobe In design Janice McLaughlin   

amazon.com/author/janicemclaughlin--gingerbread              

To: Jan McLaughlin <gingerbreadjan@yahoo.com>

Sent: Saturday, September 5, 2015 2:44 PM

Subject:  How can I find out which version of Adobe I have so I can correctly send PDF files

How can I find out which version of Adobe I have so I can correctly send PDF files

created by BobLevine in Adobe Digital Publishing Solution - View the full discussionNone of this has anything to do with Digital Publishing Solution and until you can actually tell me what Adobe applications you're using I'm afraid there's no way to help you. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7933960#7933960 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7933960#7933960 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Publishing Solution by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 5. Re: How can I find out which version of Adobe I have so I can correctly send PDF files

Now we’re getting somewhere.

Cmd + click About InDesign under the InDesign menu if you’re on Mac. On Windows Ctrl + click About InDesign under the Help menu.