This IS the forum for (all versions of) Premiere Elements (there is no forum specific to any one version)
The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help... click the link about sharing to a computer file
Please excuse the basic questions that I am asking. I do not want to take anything for granted. I have no idea how much work you have done with Premiere Elements 13.
If you have Premiere Elements 13 and you open a project, you are working in a project file that has the file extension .prel.
When you are finished importing and editing, you appear to be going to Publish+Share/Computer/ to pick an export type to export/save your Timeline content as a movie file to the computer Desktop....which one are you selecting....
Whatever you select, you say that you are designating Desktop as the Save in the export settings. You do that by
1. going to the Save In field of the export dialog, hit browse to bring up the Select Folder dialog.
2. in the Select Folder dialog, left column, you select/highlight Desktop.
3. at the bottom of the Select Folder dialog, you click on Select Folder.
4. When you go to the export settings dialog, the following represents what the Save In field should look like
In this example, I am exporting my Timeline content to an AVCHD.mp4 file and saving it to the computer Desktop.
When the export is complete, I have my AVCHD.mp4 file saved to the computer Desktop.
Please review, and then let us know if you have done all that and still do not found your export as .mov, .m2t, mp4, or whatever corresponds to your choice of export settings. If the file the you think is your export movie has a file extension of .prel, that is not your export. It is a Premiere Elements project file.
Please try again. And give your export a distinctive name in the export settings besides setting the Save In to the Desktop.
If you have been there and done all that and still cannot find your export with the correct movie file extension and name, then
1. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General. Remove the check mark next to Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher) and then do the export and let us know if the problem is gone.
Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.