4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2015 9:50 AM by A.T. Romano

What do the different diamond shadings mean in Applied Effects keyframes?

Carpe Lux

Using Adobe Premiere Elements 12 I am doing Picture in Picture effects but can't figure out why the keyframe diamond sometimes is filled solid gray, sometimes white & sometimes 1/2 white/1/2 black (see picture).  After doing  a bunch of web searches without success I am hoping someone can explain the difference.

AppliedEffects-Diamond.JPG

• 1. Re: What do the different diamond shadings mean in Applied Effects keyframes?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Carpe Lux

Premiere Elements 12 on what computer operating system? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

The type of keyframe icon that you see in the Show/Hide Keyframes controls area typically relates to the type of interpolation method that has been applied to the keyframe.....possibilities Linear, Bezier, Auto Bezier, Continuous Bezier. You can get a general idea what that is all about from the following Adobe document whose concepts here apply to Premiere Elements as well as Premiere Pro. Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Controlling effect changes using keyframe interpolation

Also, you will note that the first keyframe for the clip is by default diamond Linear Black/White and the last keyframe for the clip is by default diamond Linear White/Black. As more keyframes are added, the prior one typically automatically goes to the clear diamond representation but is still Linear interrpolation method unless you are purposely setting another interpolation method.

Have you knowingly set one of the other interpolation methods by right clicking the keyframe there and making a choice other than Linear. (You can also apply interpolation method for the keyframe at the Timeline level as well).

Please give more detail on the third keyframe (looking at your screenshot left to right). I would have expected that to be diamond clear.

I think about that some more.

The above is my first impression for what you asked.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: What do the different diamond shadings mean in Applied Effects keyframes?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Carpe Lux

Add On to post 1....

Considering a keyframe between the first and last keyframe of the clip....

I can get the all dark diamond (keyframe)

a. creating a keyframe which gives the diamond half white/half black (icon type representing Linear interpolation method)

b. right clicking the keyframe and changing the interpolation method to something else, like Bezier.

c. then switching the interpolation method back to Linear.

But that dark diamond keyframe automatically goes to clear and stays clear when I do one click of a blank area there.

Bottom line according my findings: the type of keyframe icon in the Show/Hide Keyframe Controls area gives information about that keyframe, including interpolation method and position of the keyframe.

Please let me know if post 1 and 2 information targeted your question. Please let me know if you need supplemental information on this.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: What do the different diamond shadings mean in Applied Effects keyframes?
              Carpe Lux Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for the informative reply, I've read many of your answers in the past and found them helpful & clear.  Your explanation helps more than any of the webpages I checked. 

My question was sparked when I accidentally clicked on one of the diamonds and it changed shading.  I didn't see any immediate effect of the action so it was confusing...I knew it meant something but what?  I read about different interpolation methods but didn't deliberately choose any, just stuck to the default Linear.  I had previously read the Adobe Premiere Pro webpage you referenced but I went back and read it again and this time I understood, but only because you had given me a heads-up.  It sure wasn't clear by itself & could benefit from a screenshot like the one I used:

[ Clipped from: Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Controlling effect changes using keyframe interpolation

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------------------:

Keyframe-marker.JPG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------------------:

I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 12.1 on a Windows 8.1 PC.

I'm able to achieve my goal, which was to create a Picture in Picture effect that started small in one corner of the screen then grew larger over time...that works just fine using the keyframes, I'll just make sure I'm not clicking too much on the little diamonds.

• 4. Re: What do the different diamond shadings mean in Applied Effects keyframes?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Carpe Lux

Thanks for the reply with the details of the outcome. Great job.

The concept of keyframes and interpolation methods are not always easy to deal with and often not detailed enough.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements workflows.

ATR