9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2015 5:44 PM by A.T. Romano

Whenever I import video to Elements 12, the program stops responding and starts using up all of my RAM until my computer crashes. Can anyone help me?

Sportnugget

For a little bit more information, I am on Windows 10, (this is the OS that I first had the issue on, but downgrading to Windows 8.1 did not fix it) and I have 12gb of RAM, so the issue is almost certainly not that I just don't have enough. Not only that, but I only started having this issue last month whereas before that I'd been using the software just fine since December of 2014.

• 1. Re: Whenever I import video to Elements 12, the program stops responding and starts using up all of my RAM until my computer crashes. Can anyone help me?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Sportnugget

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 10 (assumed 64 bit) and you have also looked at this issue with Windows 8.1 (assumed 64 bit).

Have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

With this type of question, the typical questions become

1. When does the program stop responding...immediately with import of the file or later when you begin to edit the file?

2. What are the properties of your source file, what is the project preset, is the problem restricted to the source file being imported, and does starting a new project in a given operating system have any impact on the issue? If you have used this specific type of file before without issue, what happens if you use instead older files that worked before. Do they still work now?

3. Have you tried to evaluate your computer's memory situation with a free program such as Program Explorer Sysinternals?

Process Explorer

We could ask about video card/graphics card and its driver version, operating system updates, antivirus and firewalls, but they seem less appropriate at this initial phase of the troubleshooting. Let us see what information the above reveals and then we can decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Whenever I import video to Elements 12, the program stops responding and starts using up all of my RAM until my computer crashes. Can anyone help me?
            Sportnugget Level 1

It is 64 bit.

I had not updated to 12.1; however, doing so did not fix the problem.

1. The program stops responding shortly after the, "Adding media" window and progress bar appear. (The progress bar never shows above 0%)

2. The video file in question is 1080p, 1 hour and 55 minutes, and an mp4 file. I'm not quite sure what exactly "the project preset" or "restricted to the source file being imported" means. If you could explain, that would be greatly appreciated. Starting a new project has no impact on the issue. None of the older files work.

3. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, but when I use Process Explorer, there is no sub-process that starts up and uses the memory. All it shows is Adobe Premiere Elements 12 eating it up.

One final note: The files I usually import are long and large, but I tried to import a smaller file, and when I did so, the video imported okay, but I got an opaque, solid green picture as opposed to any video.

• 3. Re: Whenever I import video to Elements 12, the program stops responding and starts using up all of my RAM until my computer crashes. Can anyone help me?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Sportnugget

Thanks for the reply.

Based on the details, I think that we need to know more about the video file that is involved in the current issue.

What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video. Once it was recorded, did you use a video converter to change format prior to its import into Premiere Elements project?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements, and are you running the programs as administrator?

The setting up of the project is very important, but I am not sure if that impacts what you describe. Nonetheless, let us go through the project settings (and the settings of the project preset).

The program is designed so that the project (automatically) sets the project preset (project settings) based on its analysis of the first file dragged to the project's Timeline. Sometimes it does it right, sometimes not for various reasons. For the not right times, then you set the project preset manually before you import the file into the project (See File Menu/New/Project).

To determine if the project selected the right settings for your video, see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio. This area is good for verifying the settings, but you cannot make significant changes to the project settings there. You start a new project if these readings are not right.

By example...if you have a 1080p project, then your project preset should be (for NTSC setup)

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

Consequently, when you get to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, you should see Editing Mode = DSLR and not HD1080i.

Also, after you import your video into the project's Expert workspace, have you been seeing an orange line over its content? And, if so, have you been rendering the Timeline? Also, in what you have been doing, when you import your video, do you see a progress bar at the bottom right of the workspace? And, do you wait for it to go to completion before you do anything at all in the workspace? That progress bar typically represents the project conforming the video and audio of the file. If you are getting the progress bar stuck at 0%, what does that bar indicate that it is doing - conforming audio, conforming video, or indexing?

The fact that a significantly smaller version of the file makes it through the process is very interesting. Are any of the older files that now do not work the same size or smaller than the current files that are not working?

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Whenever I import video to Elements 12, the program stops responding and starts using up all of my RAM until my computer crashes. Can anyone help me?
                Sportnugget Level 1

The video file is recorded by Shadowplay and no converter was used before importing into the project.

I hadn't had Quicktime 7 and they weren't being run as administrator, but installing Quicktime and running them both as administrator made no difference.

I didn't have it on the right settings, but this also didn't have any impact on the issue I am having.

For the shorter video that actually makes it into the project assets, there is no orange line. I have rendered it despite this, and nothing changed. I always wait for the progress bar in the bottom to fill up before I do any of my editing. And the progress bar doesn't stop at 0. for the smaller video, everything works fine apart from the fact that I just get a solid green picture. For the larger file, it doesn't even get through the "Adding media" screen, so I can't speak to that at all.

Unfortunately, when I first had the issue, I thought it might have been a problem with my computer, so I reset it. I don't have the older files anymore. I only have three that I recorded today. 2 with Shadowplay (1st being 1:58:22 and 14.6 GB. 2nd being 1:30 and 432 MB) and 1 with the built-in Windows 10 recording software.

• 5. Re: Whenever I import video to Elements 12, the program stops responding and starts using up all of my RAM until my computer crashes. Can anyone help me?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Sportnugget

Thanks for the update and looking into the troubleshooting suggestions.

Please continue the troubleshooting with the following, even if you do not believe these factors are now affecting your issue....

a. With the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed (in this case go for QuickTime 7.7.6) since there is a Microsoft problem with latest QuickTime 7 version 7.7.8 and Windows 10.

b. Make sure you are running the programs from a user account with administrative privileges and that you have applied Run As Administrator to the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Desktop icon.

Shadow Play has a high probability of recording your video with a variable frame rate. Premiere Elements does not fare well with video with variable frame rate. The symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. The typical fix is to bring such video into the free HandBrake program to get the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate version to import into the Premiere Elements project. Please consider that. https://handbrake.fr/

At this point HandBrake can be diagnostic and well as therapeutic.

However, one way to confirm the concept of variable frame rate here would be to take your video through the free video audio properties read out program named MediaInfo (Tree view). If you see 3 frame rates in the video properties, then you are dealing with a video recorded with a variable frame rate....minimum frame rate, frame rate, maximum frame rate values will be seen in that case.

MediaInfo download | SourceForge.net

Just be careful with your choices during the download and install of MediaInfo since it is known to travel with unwanted baggage. Also, note what video and audio compression is being used with the file's file extension.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Whenever I import video to Elements 12, the program stops responding and starts using up all of my RAM until my computer crashes. Can anyone help me?
                    Sportnugget Level 1

Saving the video with Handbrake worked, but I find it really odd that variable framerates would only cause problems for me now. Is there a free/trial version of a recording software that records in a fixed framerate so that I could test and see if this actually is what my problem is?

• 7. Re: Whenever I import video to Elements 12, the program stops responding and starts using up all of my RAM until my computer crashes. Can anyone help me?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Sportnugget

Thanks for the follow up.

Did you confirm with MediaInfo (Tree View) that your video was recorded with a variable frame rate, basing your conclusion on the presence of 3 frame rates seen in the MediaInfo video properties readout?

If you cannot, then HandBrake assisted in the fix related to some other incompatible property of the Shadow Play video.

We will watch for that information, and then comment further.

ATR

• 9. Re: Whenever I import video to Elements 12, the program stops responding and starts using up all of my RAM until my computer crashes. Can anyone help me?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Sportnugget

Looks like significant information.

You definitely have a video that was recorded with a variable frame rate which points to the HandBrake workaround. But...

Those are NTSC looking frame rates and are not consistent with that "Standard PAL" at the bottom of those frame rate readings.

Best, before HandBrake, work out the details of the Shadow Play recording. I do not know if you can force Shadow Play to record with a constant frame rate, but you should be able to clarify the NTSC PAL situation and then head for HandBrake.

Good job with this newest information.

Thanks.

ATR