15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2015 2:30 PM by johnrellis

Import tagged images

AyoKeito

Hello! I've recently tried to import images that are already tagged. I've previously used Lightroom 5 to tag images without any problems, and i expected LR to import images and create needed tags upon importing.

But unfortunately, LR decided to take another path: it indeed created "tags", but they were not split.

Lets say i had image tagged "2015, woods, grass, adobe". That was exactly the tag i got when i imported that image. I've tried creating and importing tag list, nothing changed.

Is there any way to make LR realise that all of them are separate tags?

• 1. Re: Import tagged images
          deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi Ayokeito,

When you begin the Import process, you’re presented with the import dialog. In the left you’ll find a panel labeled Apply During Import:

LRKeywords-01

Within this panel are several options, and one of them is Keywords. May i know when you select all the images to import does all the keywords or tags comes up as shown below

LRKeywords-02

Thanks

• 2. Re: Import tagged images
            AyoKeito Level 1

Yes, if i start typing any of the tags i've used, autocomplete pops-up.

Maybe the problem is that i have A LOT of tags? There are 10000 of them roughly.

All of the tags are XMP-subject:, and are recognised by Windows as well as some other programs. I'd still prefer to use LR if possible tho.

• 3. Re: Import tagged images

Is there a separate .xmp file saved along with the Image files.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Import tagged images
                AyoKeito Level 1

No, i assume i should see xmp files if they are present? I see none. AFAIK all of the tags are written into assorted JPG and PNG files using exiftool. I can make them if that helps i believe.

I've tried changing delims, used both spaces and sommas.

For now, tags look like this: "2015, woods, in_forest, etc"

I've imported my tag list from txt file i made, and it was looking fine: i've seen all of my separate tags in right menu with "0" count.

After i've imported images, LR still ignored existing tags and populated the list with new ones, merged.

• 5. Re: Import tagged images

If you check only one image file in the import window on the Lightroom , may i know does the Lightroom shows you all the keywords or the specific keyword assigned to that image.

• 6. Re: Import tagged images
                    AyoKeito Level 1

Keywords are still merged into one in keywords list if i check only one image. Nothing chanes if i import keywords list first too.

• 7. Re: Import tagged images
                      johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Upload one of the problem pics to Dropbox (or similar) and post its link here.  We can take a look at its metadata in detail to see what might be the issue.

• 8. Re: Import tagged images
                        AyoKeito Level 1

I've created this test image the same way i did earlier. It's still affected by the same problem. Here's the link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21291309/testfile.jpg

And here's a screenshot of the problem:

3n5An40.jpg

I think i've found the root of the problem. It seems that both Photoshop and Lightroom lock the keywords into " ", while WIndows and most of the other programs don't. Raw XMP metadata don't have them too.

More screenshots:

3n5AX5j.png3n5AVYN.png

On the other hand, after i've removed " with Photoshop, raw metadata changed to this:

3n5B92z.png

Is there any way to batch split those tags or change LR behavior? I was hoping that the fact they are delimited with commas is enough.

• 9. Re: Import tagged images
                          AyoKeito Level 1

Okay, i've found a way to reconfigure the program i use for exporting tags into images, but i'd like to know if there's a way to fix it on LR side.

• 10. Re: Import tagged images

The file you posted has the keywords properly stored in the metadata fields XMP:Subject and IPTC:Keywords.  Thus, when I load that file into my LR CC 2015.1.1, the keywords show up as separate keywords:

Untitled.png

Did you upload the intended file?   If you import that file (the one on Dropbox) into your LR, do the keywords get loaded properly, as I do?

• 11. Re: Import tagged images
                              AyoKeito Level 1

Nope, i've linked a screenshot of what i get. My version is 5.0

Seems to be the problem of my version of LR. Can you make a screenshot of raw XMP metadata? Maybe it's already fixed by LR?

• 12. Re: Import tagged images

The raw XMP metadata looks just like your screenshot, and Exiftool shows separate keywords, e.g.

$ exiftool -b -xmp:subject testfile.jpg

woods

no_idea

test_tag

and_one_more_test_tag

I just tested with LR 5.7.1, and the keywords imported properly.  A close low-level examination with Exiftool doesn't show anything improper, and I recall no reported serious bugs with keyword import in LR 5.  

Did you actually download that file from Dropbox and import it into your LR catalog?   I'm wondering if you accidentally uploaded a corrected file. According to its metadata, it's been modified by:

Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 7.0

Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 7.0 (Windows)

Adobe Photoshop CC 2021 (Windows)

Adobe Photoshop CC 2022 (Macintosh)

and its metadata was last changed by software on 2015:09:05 21:48:42+03:00 (11:48:42 PDT).

• 13. Re: Import tagged images
                                  AyoKeito Level 1

Yes, sorry, i've changed it with photoshop. I've reuploaded the proper one, same link.

I use batch file to assign tags, here's the line that calls exiftool:

if exist %md5%.png exiftool.exe -p -o -xmp:subject="%tags%" %md5%.png -overwrite_original_in_place

I've changed it a little (added -sep) and now it should work fine.

• 14. Re: Import tagged images
                                    robgendreau Level 3

I get them all as one string from that file; exiftool reports:

2015, please_help, bad_tag

As one tag. And that's how Lr reads it.

• 15. Re: Import tagged images

if exist %md5%.png exiftool.exe -p -o -xmp:subject="%tags%" %md5%.png -overwrite_original_in_place

I've changed it a little (added -sep) and now it should work fine.

Yes, that was the problem.  Glad you got it resolved.