14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2015 4:27 PM by trshaner

How to soft proof

Alp Er Tunga Level 1

First of all, I would like to ask about the following histogram.

It is the histogram of a "black & white" image in the soft proof mode.

What do the colored portions of this histogram mean?

How should we interpret them?

1.jpg

• 1. Re: How to soft proof
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi Alper Tonga,

Please refer to the following Adobe article and video for Soft Proofing in Lightroom : https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/develop-module-options.html#soft_proof_images

Video : http://tv.adobe.com/watch/whats-new-in-lightroom-4/soft-proofing-images/

Please let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Tanuj Sandal

• 2. Re: How to soft proof
            deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi Alper,

May i know did you converted this image into black and white from Lightroom or the original image was black and white. What is the format of the image.

Thanks

• 3. Re: How to soft proof
              Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Tanuj, thanks for the links.

• 4. Re: How to soft proof
                Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Deep ... it is a TIFF file and it was converted to B & W in Ps ... but you can also see the same colored portions on the soft-proofing histogram for a DNG file made B& W in Lightroom.

• 5. Re: How to soft proof

i just desaturated a raw file in Photoshop and saved it as a tiff in the Lightroom. And in the soft proofing there are no color values coming up. If you un-check the option which says "Simulate Paper & Ink" do you still see the color values coming up.

• 6. Re: How to soft proof
                    Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Please forget about the TIFFs ... convert directly a DNG to B&W (by pressing V) in Lightroom and look at the histogram on the soft proofing panel with a printer profile ... I can see the colored histogram now and "Simulate Paper & Ink" has no effect on the histogram in this case.

Anyway ...

I would like to learn what that colored portions mean, if there are any?

I mean ... what I should understand when I see those colored histogram for a B&W photo?

• 7. Re: How to soft proof
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Looks like yet another LR 6/CC 2015 soft proof bug. LR Soft Proof is displaying an RGB Histogram when using any printer paper profile with a grayscale image. PS soft proof (Proof) and LR Develop and Library modules correctly show a monochrome histogram (Intensity L). Alper, I suggest adding this as a 'Reply' at the below bug report with a link to this post.

Lightroom CC Soft Proof Histogram Displays Incorrect RGB Values

Thank you!

• 8. Re: How to soft proof

Histogram is a visual representation of the color tones and luminosity in your image. In addition to overall luminosity (displayed in gray) the Lightroom Histogram also displays the RGB (Red, Green and Blue) values, as well as their mixed color values (Yellow, Teal, Purple, etc). The color which is coming up in the histrogram represents the color pixels in the image.

i tried with a dng converted it into a black and white and there are no colors coming in the histogram, may i know how did you converted the image into the black and white. Also can you change the profile back to the default profile which would be sRGB. Is that a cmyk color profile that you have loaded up.

Thanks

• 9. Re: How to soft proof
                          Alp Er Tunga Level 1

i tried with a dng converted it into a black and white and there are no colors coming in the histogram, may i know how did you converted the image into the black and white. Also can you change the profile back to the default profile which would be sRGB. Is that a cmyk color profile that you have loaded up.

I've already recognized that the histogram does not show colors with working color spaces, it shows colors only with printer profiles.

In fact, I'm asking it ... what I should understand when I see the colors in the histogram for a B&W photo with a printer profile?

• 10. Re: How to soft proof
                            Alp Er Tunga Level 1

I've just found that ... the achromatic axes of printer profiles do not exactly coincide with the achromatic axes of working color spaces.

So, an achoromatic color (blacks, grays, etc.) in a working color space may be represented with a color with chroma in a printer profile.

I'm not sure ... but I think that ... very likely this is the reason for the colored histograms for B&W photos viewed with printer profiles.

• 11. Re: How to soft proof
                              Alp Er Tunga Level 1

I've found answers to most of my questions which I was planning to ask here ... but of course I still have some questions which I can not find an answer for them

I would be very grateful if someone can answer them.

Why are the black clipped pixels in my TIFF file -which is in ProPhoto RGB- not shown as the out of gamut colors when making soft proofing with a printer profile?

Thanks a lot.

• 12. Re: How to soft proof

Alper Tonga wrote:

I've just found that ... the achromatic axes of printer profiles do not exactly coincide with the achromatic axes of working color spaces.

So, an achoromatic color (blacks, grays, etc.) in a working color space may be represented with a color with chroma in a printer profile.

I'm not sure ... but I think that ... very likely this is the reason for the colored histograms for B&W photos viewed with printer profiles.

As mentioned it appears the Soft Proof Histogram displays the color values of the Grayscale image file when "converted" using the selected color profile. To my knowledge PS does not have this capability. In addition LR does not support CMYK output or CMYK Histogram when Soft Proofing to a CMYK color profile (ex. Blurb.icc). All editing inside LR is done in the Melissa RGB color space. The Epson printer profiles are RGB so the Soft Proof Histogram should be correctly displayed. Try converting one of you image files to the Epson printer profile and then compare its normal histogram in LR to the Soft Proof histogram of the original file using the same target color profile. DO they look the same?

• 13. Re: How to soft proof
                                  Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Alper Tonga wrote:

Why are the black clipped pixels in my TIFF file -which is in ProPhoto RGB- not shown as the out of gamut colors when making soft proofing with a printer profile?

I think ... it would be helpful addition to see the clipping warnings in soft proofing for the contrast adjustments in the destination profile. Any idea?

• 14. Re: How to soft proof

Alper Tonga wrote:

Because they are not "out of gamut" and will appear as Black in the print. Granted the Blacks won't appear as dark as onscreen, but that's why you use 'Simulate Paper & Ink." It will give you a better idea of how the deepest Blacks and brightest Whites will appear on paper in the print. Screen images will always have more dynamic range than a printed image.