13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2015 8:49 AM by jillymossvale

photos in folder not in order want

jillymossvale Level 1

I have tried all steps to import  a serieso f 80 photos in the order I want to lightroom 6

as soon as the preview appears , for 3 seconds it is as I want ,then abruptly changes to what lightroom wants.

HOWEVER I CAN reorder manually in a flder

However the order is NOT retained

In syncing with iphone, there is as lightroom wants and not me

I have tried importing without metadata

I have tried restartng imac

I have tried different sort orders eg image capture, file name, custom etc

is there ANT way to have lightroom retain a sort order after manual sort or does someone have a work around?

Ths is really important to me

Can anyone help?

Thanks

• 1. Re: photos in folder not in order want
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi jillymossvalle,

I would suggest you to first rename the images in a sequence outside of Lightroom before importing.

Or you may rename them while you are importing the images , and once the images are imported, you may change the sorting as per File Name.

So that all the images in Lightroom will show in a sequence as per the File name.

Please let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Tanuj Sandal

• 2. Re: photos in folder not in order want
            jillymossvale Level 1

Thanks so much for replying

Reply to your 1st suggestion

OK in iphoto I batch changed the name  of all images and numbered them in the order I want. I then put them in file on desk top.

I went to lightroom to import and indeed for 3 seconds only  it remains as I want.

So this is in answer to your first suggestion, which for me is not working. perhaps you have another way?

******************************************************************************************

Reply to your second suggestion of renaming as i imported

I did this and then tried to sort as file name but it still retained the order lightroom wants

Further capture time, add arose etc do not change what lightroom wants it to be.

Any other suggestions.?

i really want a work around and am willing to try anything. I do not want to go back to iphoto

Thanks

J

• 3. Re: photos in folder not in order want

Could you please let me know as an example the file name that you have for the images and also the option that you are selecting while importing the images in LR.

Are you selecting "Copy" or " Add " in the import window ?

• 4. Re: photos in folder not in order want
                jillymossvale Level 1

Hi Tanuj

File name is "Jill Men friends”

I have tried add, copy, copy as DNG

J

• 5. Re: photos in folder not in order want

Could you please add a number to the images in a sequence as " Jill Men Friends 1, Jill Men Friends 2.. and so on."

And then import the images in Lr by selecting the option for Add, and sort them by File Name.

• 6. Re: photos in folder not in order want
                    jillymossvale Level 1

Here below  is what I have done PRIOR to import.

They are numbered.. you can see the screen shot is for the first 19 and is same for the 80 images.

when the import window opens in lightroom, for 3 seconds the order is as this and then changes after 3 seconds to a random order.

and EVEN if I try to change the sequence upon import, it reverts to the random sequence i describe.

I can reorder in the folder but then upon sync with iphone  the order is as lightroom imported.

any thoughts?

J

• 7. Re: photos in folder not in order want
                      robgendreau Level 3

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve.

The sort order in the import module is rather limited; capture time, whether checked, file name and a couple others. If you changed all the file names before opening that module, you could sort all Jill Men Friends1.jpg, etc ahead of all Jill Women Friends1.jpg for example.

Most of us don't bother, since the order in the import module is less important than the order AFTER the images are imported. Once inside the catalog, you have more options to sort even without renaming; you can just drag and drop. And to preserve that custom sort order you can save the images in a collection. Or use other criteria; a keyword hierarchy like "people>friends>men" for example.

If you intended to include a screenshot, it isn't showing.

• 8. Re: photos in folder not in order want
                        jillymossvale Level 1

True true true

Frankly it is not the import order which is crucial to me but the sort order in a folder.  I DO NOT mind custom reordering to what I want but when I sync to iphone the order I want  is not retained.

I only asked about import order in case the problem was right back there.

If you have a way for lightroom to RETAIN the order i want in a folder  so I can sync my travel photos in the order I want, I would be happy.

From iphoto this is possible (Not from Photos though)

any help would be appreciated

J

• 9. Re: photos in folder not in order want
                          robgendreau Level 3

Ah, SYNCING. That's a whole 'nother issue.

Every application or device can view files in any order it chooses. Just because you sort by date, or size, or name in the Finder, Lr, or Billy's Bait Shop App doesn't mean that Photos on your iPhone is gonna see it that way.

It would be helpful to know HOW you are attempting to synch. Conceivably the process of synching might include instructions on how to order the files/images. If it's the latest Lightroom Mobile, then do this: create a collection in Lr on your desktop. Rearrange by dragging and dropping. Then sync to Lr Mobile. In Lr Mobile, hit the name of the collection, and there should be an option for sort order; you want "custom order." That tells Lr and Lr Mobile to share the custom order of that collection.

If you are just synching via iTunes or something from a regular folder, and  using Photos on iOS, Photos is gonna do it's own thing. You'd have to do something with the metadata of the images themselves, that Photos recognizes, to impose a sort order. Not easy. Take a look at Jeffrey Friedl's take on it; it's a good explanation of some of the issues if this is what you're trying to do: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » How To Best Export Lightroom Images to an iPad, iPhone, Etc.

• 10. Re: photos in folder not in order want
                            jillymossvale Level 1

How I was  doing it was to sync thru tunes and pointing iTunes to the folder in lightroom  (called iphone sync) containing subfolders I want.

I was not using PHOTOS at all as that really is hopeless. It DOES work with iphoto but i want to use lightroom

Now if you say it works thru lightroom mobile, maybe i will get that but I have standalone lightroom 6 and I really wanted a way for it to work.

The issue with metadata was why I was trying to import to lightroom WITHOUT metadata for the reasons you cite.

I may have to bite the bullet to get LR mobile but honestly I don’t see why there is not a way with the stand alone LR..

THANKS for suggestions and I will try the link

Cheers, J

• 11. Re: photos in folder not in order want
                              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

A good starting question is: What are you getting vs what you want?

Most cameras will create file names that sort the same way as sorting by capture time. (Until something comes along and renames the files.)

• 12. Re: photos in folder not in order want
                                robgendreau Level 3

iTunes and your iPhone ignores anything that Lr does to organize images within Lr. It's an Apple iPhone Photos thing, not an Lr thing. Lr can't control it.

You still didn't say what you use on your iPhone, but I'm guessing it's Photos. And Photos doesn't really do folders. Once you use iTunes, Finder folders, and iOS Photos you've moved far away from Lr. Lr can rename images, which might help, or alter the creation date, but that won't get you want you want. You'll have to do some searches on iOS Photos to find out how to view a custom sort order within it. IIRC you have to create an album, then you can drag and drop within Photos. Otherwise it's a date sort.

• 13. Re: photos in folder not in order want
                                  jillymossvale Level 1

Yes yes I have deduced this… THanks a lot for trying to help me.. Cheers, Jill