6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2015 6:35 PM by deepakg1988

issues merging catalog onto new computer

jsc3631 Level 1

I recently picked up a new desktop, and am having some issues merging my catalog from my old computer to the new one.

I've copied both the catalog file, and the photo files from my old comp onto an external drive. successfully imported the photos and catalog into the latest version of lightroom. however, the edits, and presets only cover photos from 2015 and not my 2014/13 photos. There has got to be something simple im missing here....

• 1. Re: issues merging catalog onto new computer
          deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi Jsc,

May i know what is the version of the Lightroom that you were using on the old computer and what is the version of the Lightroom that you are using in the new computer.

Try to open the catalog which you copied from the old computer and check does the catalog is showing you the edits from 2014/13.

There is an option in the preferences of the Lightroom under the preset tab, which allows the Lightroom to store all the preset int he catalog. If this is option is not checked then the preset will not copy with the Catalog of the Lightroom

Below is the screenshot for the following

1.png

Thanks

• 2. Re: issues merging catalog onto new computer
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Do you need to "merge" the catalogs on the new computer?

If the computer is new, it probably has no Lightroom on it. Thus you can just copy the old catalog to the new machine and use that catalog.

• 3. Re: issues merging catalog onto new computer
              jsc3631 Level 1

I'm going from 5.7-6 and the presets box is checked.

What I dont get is why merging only covers my 2015 photos. When I open the catalog my 2015 photos show up and are fully edited just how I had left them on the old computer. The 2014 photos show question marks and won't show up.

I Should add, if i find the 2014/13 photo files and import them...they go into lightroom with no issues...but the caralog settings from the old computer won't carry over and apply my edits.

ill upload screen shots shots when I get home from work and show you exactly that im talking about.

• 4. Re: issues merging catalog onto new computer

may i know does the question mark comes up after or before the catalog is merged

• 6. Re: issues merging catalog onto new computer

Follow the steps below to help locate your missing photos and restore links to the catalog.

"The file could not be found" message

The message "The file could not be found." appears in the Develop module when the link from the catalog to the photo has been broken.

Links between a catalog and its photos can also break if photos are stored on an external drive that is offline. If the drive is offline, turn it on. If the drive letter has changed, change it back to the letter Lightroom expects.

• (Optional) In the Library module, choose Library > Find All Missing Photos to display missing files in the Grid view.

•  

Click the Photo Is Missing icon ( or ) in a thumbnail cell in the Grid view.

The Photo Is Missing icon also appears at the bottom of the Histogram panel. You can click it there, too.

A dialog box opens and displays the last known location of the missing photo.

Locate missing photos dialog boxLightroom asks if you'd like to find the missing photo and tells you where the original was located.

•  

Click the Locate button, navigate to where the photo is currently located, and then click Select.
                    Lets us know if you are able to re-link the folders.