9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2015 9:34 PM by A.T. Romano

How to set a default font for Titler?

mpalka

Is there a way to configure a default font for newly added titles? Most of the times Adobe Arabic is getting selected(=appear selected when I have added a title) for a new subtitle which I does not make sense for me because I do not want to write in Arabic. Sometimes other (I assume random) font is getting selected. I cannot see any option to configure any font as a default.

• What version of Premiere Elements? 13.1
      • Have you installed the recent updates? yes
      • What operating system? Mac OSX Yosemite
      • What were you doing when the problem occurred? Adding titles
      • Tell us about your computer hardware: 2 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core. How much RAM is installed? 16G How much free space is on your system (C:) drive? 30G
      • Has this ever worked before? NO. 
        • 1. Re: How to set a default font for Titler?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mpalka

1. Text Menu/New/Default Text

2. In the Titler that opens, type your text and apply font, font size, etc.

3. With your text selected, go to Styles section of the Titler, right click any Style, select Save Style.

4. In Styles section of the opened Titler, right click the new saved Style thumbnail, select Set Style As Default.

5. Close out of the Titler.

When you reopen the Titler and thereafter, you should have the default text and its attributes that you just set.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to set a default font for Titler?
            mpalka Level 1

ATR

Thanks a lot. It does seem to work. Well at least sort of I was able to add a style, set it as default. Though the default seems to only apply to titles added from the menu. Titles (defaut text) added from the bottom toolbar do not seem to follow the newly created default style.

I suspect a bug because the new default style appears highlighted in the Style tab in title settings but the actually displayed font is still the good old Adobe Arabic. And it seems that the original default style's font was not Adobe Arabic. It was Caslon Pro. I refer here to a default style in the Style tab of Title settings. Still new titles were added with Adobe Arabic thus not following the default.

I am still finding my way around Premiere Elements and it seems that I am looking for some stuff in wrong places In this case I looked through preferences and assumed option does not exist.

UPDATE:

There seems to more bugs in this functionality. Custom added styles do not seem to be able to survive a restart of Premiere Elements. After a restart they become corrupted. That means their name is replace with some non alphanumeric characters (diamonds with a question mark) and they cannot be applied anymore. An attempt to add a new Title from the menu results with a random font being used. From the toolbar it adds a title using Adobe Arabic again. To make it work again the steps provided by ATR needs to be repeated every time the app is restarted.

• 3. Re: How to set a default font for Titler?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mpalka

Thanks for the replies. Let me see if I have explanations for most if not all on this.

Could you post the step by step details how you established your default font, font size, color, etc?

You should be able to get the same results opening to the Default Text from Text Menu/New/Default Text as from Titles & Text Tab/General Default Text. And, you should be getting the same results with all titles created in a project as well as project to project maintaining of the default. But, you are not.

First let me see if I can spot the difference between us. I will work through exactly as you describe.

I work on Windows, and you are on Mac. But, in this case, I am not expecting any Windows Mac differences.

There is the Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form if need be. But I do not know if we are ready for that just yet. Let us see.

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

And, a new

If you need to post any screenshot, the following might help if you have not posted them before.

The specified item was not found.

Looking forward to working with you on this.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to set a default font for Titler?
                mpalka Level 1

These are the steps I follow to create a new title and the a new titler style.

1. I start Premiere Elements afresh. It comes up with an empty new project.

2. I add a new title by dragging a Default Text from the Title & Text section of the toolbar to the timeline (Video 2). A new title is added. It uses Adobe Arabic font.

3. I select a new font (Arial) from the font selection drop down menu (in the Text Section) of Adjust panel. The displayed font changes to Arial. I adjust font size to 90.

4. I center the title by clicking both button in Align sections.

5. I switch to the Style section.

6. I right click on the first style named "Default Caslon Pro 68".

7. I select the Save Style option from the popup menu.

8. I accept the default style name which is "Arial Regular 90". A new style is added at the end of the list.

9. I right-click on the newly created style and select "Set Style as Default" option.

Now steps to create a new title after a new default style has been set (by dragging a Default Text onto the timeline)

1. I delete the Default Text on Video 2 by selecting it and pressing Fn+Backspace (it's a combination that means Delete on Mac)

2. I add a new title by dragging a Default Text from the Title & Text section of the toolbar to the timeline (Video 2). It comes with "Adobe Arabic" again.

Now steps to create a new title after a new default style has been set (by using menu)

1. I delete the Default Text on Video 2 by selecting it and pressing Fn+Backspace (it's a combination that means Delete on Mac)

2. I add a new title by selecting Text->New Text->Default Text. It comes with "Arial" font used but font size is 225 instead of 90.

• 5. Re: How to set a default font for Titler?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mpalka

Just saw you posted details. I will work through all yours steps with my Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and aim at getting the results posted within the next few hours.

Thanks for posting those details.

To be continued

ATR

• 6. Re: How to set a default font for Titler?
                    mpalka Level 1

UPDATE.

Further testing show a little different behavior. I cannot say what triggered the change in the behavior.

Now all custom styles are gone after a restart of Premiere Elements. Previously they seemed to be retained but they became corrupted. Now they simply do not appear in the list after a restart.

The scenario I follow here is as follows:

1. Create a new title, change its style, save the new style and make it default by using steps from my previous post.

2. Save the project by using Cmd+s keyboard shortcut.

3. Quit the app by pressing Cmd+Q

4. Restart the app by clicking on its icon.

5. Load previously saved project by selecting File menu, then Open Recent Project.

6. Double click on the previosly created title. Adjust panel opens.

7. Go the the Style tab and look for the previously saved Style. It's gone.

• 7. Re: How to set a default font for Titler?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

mpalka

Thanks for the follow up. My reply has been delayed because of ran into some Titler issues when exploring your Titler workflow.

Whether I use Title & Text Tab/General/Default text or Text Menu/New/Default Text, I end up with the "same looking" Titler in which to work.

However, if I use the Title & Text Tab route, the default text at the onset is Adobe Arabic 225 and not Default Adobe Caslon Pro 68 that I get if I go the Text Menu/New/Default Text route.

The Text Menu/New/Default Text to open the Titler is now maintaining any new default text that I create (title to title within the project as well as from project to project). Have you changed over to that route and can confirm that the Text Menu/New/Default Text Titler is maintaining your own default text and displaying the thumbnail for it at the top left of the Styles list?

Based on your answer to that question, then we will decide what next. At that time, we can refresh the Styles if needed. Are you missing any of the original Adobe Styles?

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: How to set a default font for Titler?
                        mpalka Level 1

>> Have you changed over to that route and can confirm that the Text Menu/New/Default Text Titler is maintaining your own default text and displaying the thumbnail for it at the top left of the Styles list?

Yes I have. That works but only until a restart (of PrE not the OS). After a restart my custom style either disappears or gets corrupted (=the style appears on the list but its name is changed to a series of diamonds with question marks inside). If that happens the Text Menu/New/Default Text Titler results with a title using the very first font on the list.

Can you also verify if a change of style affects the font size. In my case it seems it only changes the font face but the size remains the same. I have to change it manually.

By the above I mean scenario like the following:

1. Add a title by using the menu. It results with a title added using Caslon Pro 68.

2. Go to styles tab in Adjust panel a try to change the style to some other using a different font size.

Does it change both the font face and the style or only the font face ?

UPDATE

Tomorrow I will be able to test the same scenarios on my Windows laptop at work.

On my Windows laptop styles seem to be preserved over Premiere Elements restarts. On Mac they either disappear or get corrupted. I would call it a bug.

Selecting a style only changes the font face and does not change the font size. That's behavior can be observed on both platforms. Is this a bug or a feature? If the latter I guess the style names are a bit misleading because they specify both the face and the size.

Thanks.

• 9. Re: How to set a default font for Titler?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

mpalka

Thanks for the follow up. I temporarily lost track of your thread. My email notifications are a mess in my Inbox.

I am using Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit for this. Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and Text Menu/New/Default Text to open the Titler.

When I go through the steps that I have already mentioned to create a new default text, the new default text is being maintained within same project for multiple new text files there as well as from project to project.

However, there has been at least one instance, where I went through the drill successfully I thought, closed the Titler, and reopened the Titler to find the old default text. I closed out of the Titler, closed the program, did some more work in the computer, reopened Premiere Elements to a new project, opened the Titler, and found it opening with the new rather than the old default text. After that it has remained the new default text.

When the new default text is created and this process is working, the new default text opens each time with all the attributes assigned to it, including

Font

Font Size

If Color Properties were applied, color settings present as created (down to the R, G, and B settings)

Also, when I am in Styles, doing the finishing for the save Style and setting it as default,  no matter which Style I use for the process, the new Style will have the Font name and Font size of the new default text, not that of the Style I am using as a step for the creation of the new default text.

What I need to do is determine how long these new default settings will last....a few days, a few weeks, or other?

Hope all is going well there. More news as it develops.

Best wishes

ATR