2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2015 5:50 PM by TC5

Moving after effect projects to external drive

TC5 Level 1

How do I move all my After Effect projects and their related files from my local drive to an external hard drive so that in the future all AE work will be saved to the external HD?

• 1. Re: Moving after effect projects to external drive
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The easiest way is to use the Collect Files feature to bring everything from a single project into a separate folder including a copy of the original project and then move that or save that to an external drive.

The other option is to duplicate all of your original folders that contain any assets in the project and copy them to an external drive and then open up the project and relink missing footage. The first option is easier.

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 5.39.00 PM.png

• 2. Re: Moving after effect projects to external drive
            TC5 Level 1

Thanks Rick for your reply. I also just realized all the video files are also linked to from Lightroom.

From what I'm seeing with "copy an collect" in Premiere this results in video files being reorganized in individual folders. Ideally I would like the same structure on the external drive as on my local drive so that Premiere Pro, AE and Lightroom are all linking to the same video folder to avoid duplicating video files. I guess the only way to do that is to relink everything individually.