10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2015 7:11 AM by Szalam

Why won't the CTI freeze when I try to stop preview?

actionfigure00 Level 1

I have tried every possible button configuration I can think of. And tweaked settings in the preview panel. No doubt, the previews are updated in a good way, but for timing critical stuff, I NEED to hit the space bar and have it stop immediately. I don't need it to jump to front of the cached frames. I don't need it to lag forever before it quits. I need it to stop. Sort of like it did in the good, ol' days. There are times I mash the spacebar almost a dozen times before it stops. Num-0 is almost the opposite problem. It does stop immediately and clicks to where the CTI was, not where it newly is, and it always starts at the front of the work area.  Am I missing something, or am I adding another tune to the broken record of "Adobe, why did you take that feature that worked away/" *Cough* focus text and keyframe selections you can actually see *Cough*

• 1. Re: Why won't the CTI freeze when I try to stop preview?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Version of AE? Spacebar previews are CC 2015 only and the recent update fixed a lot of problems. Once the preview is rendered pressing the space bar stops immediately even on a puny Mac Mini that my daughter uses and the CTI jumps to the correct frame.  Frame accurate decisions in animation are usually made by getting close with the space bar in a NLE then using the frame advance to go back and forth a frame at a time. That's always the way I have done it in AE. In AE you can use Ctrl/Cmnd + right or left arrow to move a frame at a time or you can use the Page Down or Page Up key.

If your AE build is 13.5.1.48 then things should be working for you correctly.

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 10.23.20 PM.png

Here are the settings:

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 10.27.54 PM.png

I can stop on a marker 6 out of 10 times just by watching the red line move or watching an animation. I don't do any better in Premiere Pro or Final Cut. I always fine tune a cut a frame at a time.

If an update does not fix your problem then let us know more details of your comp, your system, and your OS.

• 2. Re: Why won't the CTI freeze when I try to stop preview?
            actionfigure00 Level 1

Nope.

I have an imac 2011, with the latest OS, and a using the latest version of AE, the one in your screen cap.

To clarify, I am attempting to stop the preview before it's finished caching in many cases. It snaps back to the beginning of the preview if it's not done caching, and it often takes two or three (or more) stabs of the space bar.

I tried the same setting you outline in the preview panel.

I'm a bit baffled why you told me WHY I'd want to use the space bar for frae accurate decisions, as that's pretty clearly the reason I posted this.

I've noticed this is a known issue in other articles here. Damn, for all the improvements, taking away fundamental things like being able to stop timing when you need it, and making the interface practically invisible...come on Adobe.

• 3. Re: Why won't the CTI freeze when I try to stop preview?

This version of AE will not stop the preview and move the CTI to the last played frame unless the entire RAM preview has rendered. There is no way around that.

I don't know any editor I've ever worked with that can stop playback on exactly the same frame 10 times in a row. Every professional editor I've ever worked with In more than 40 years in the business stops playback and adjusts one frame at a time for a frame accurate cut. You can get close with the  by pressing stop but you can't nail the exact frame every time. I was just trying to point out a usable workflow that works in any editing app.

The rework in AE's architecture has just started. It will take a while to get it perfect is any software ever is.  Many people frustrated with 2015 return to 2014.  I have CS6 thru 2015 on all my machines and I pick the version best suited to the task. Most of the time it is 2014 if there is tracking or certain effects. Often it is 2015.

• 4. Re: Why won't the CTI freeze when I try to stop preview?
                actionfigure00 Level 1

Rick, I know you have to adjust frames up and down after pressing the space bar. I don't know why the hell you're getting so caught up on that.

Pressing the spacebar when things are moving along, even though they weren't cached was a very useable way to position repetitive keyframes. And yes! After you hit the space bar sometimes you hit a page up or down!

If I have to cache the whole timeline before I can do that, that is a time-wasting step backwards. But now, snapping to the front of the timeline, work-area, etc before I cache it is horribly disjointing.

"I was just trying to point out a usable workflow that works in any editing app." Except when it doesn't. Like now. Unless you jump through time-wasting hoops.

Why is it, instead of helping, or not replying if you don't know the answer, or saying "I think that's something adobe is working on"? Do some people have to trot out the grizzled 40-year veteran high-road, and instead of making things better, they just want you to justify your workflow that you've been using for ever? If, it's not a bug, it's a feature is the answer, then so be it.

• 5. Re: Why won't the CTI freeze when I try to stop preview?

If you want pressing the space bar to immediately stop playback and move the CTI to the current time you'll have to:

1. Wait for an update or

2. Wait for the RAM Preview to cache.

IOW, there is no solution to your problem, and I don't write my replies directly to you. I try and write them to help anyone with a problem figure out how to accomplish a task. Throwing insults and starting arguments with those that are donating their own precious time isn't a good way to learn or make friends.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Why won't the CTI freeze when I try to stop preview?
                    Gutter-Fish Level 4

Rick Gerard wrote:

I don't know any editor I've ever worked with that can stop playback on exactly the same frame 10 times in a row.

Really?

• 7. Re: Why won't the CTI freeze when I try to stop preview?

Yes really. Try it yourself by looking for something like an eye blink. You can get close and maybe hit it most of the time, but dead on frame accurate by punching the stop button with frames are whizzing buy at 30 fps is awfully difficult to do first time every time, even with practice.

• 8. Re: Why won't the CTI freeze when I try to stop preview?
                        Gutter-Fish Level 4

The trick is to ever so slightly bend space & time with your mind.  

• 9. Re: Why won't the CTI freeze when I try to stop preview?
                          actionfigure00 Level 1

Woo hoo! The new update addresses the issue.

new controls for determining what happens when you stop a preview

In previous versions of After Effects, including After Effects CC 2015 (13.5), the behaviors that occur when you stopped a preview were dependent on what type of caching was being used by the preview and what keyboard shortcut you used to stop the preview. These behaviors were not user-configurable.

In the upcoming version of After Effects CC 2015, you can configure the stop behaviors for each keyboard shortcut using new controls at the bottom of the Preview panel. In the On (shortcut name) Stop section (e.g., On (Spacebar) Stop), you can enable the following options:

• If caching, play cached frames: When this option is enabled and you use this keyboard shortcut to stop a preview before caching has completed, only caching is stopped; playback of cached frames will restart from the beginning of the range. When this option is disabled, stopping a preview with this keyboard shortcut will stop both caching and playback.
                          • Move time to preview time: When this option is enabled and you use this keyboard shortcut to stop a preview, the current-time indicator will move to the position of the preview time (the last frame previewed). When this option is disabled, the current-time indicator stays at its previous position.

The spacebar shortcut now has “If caching, play cached frames” disabled by default. In After Effects CC (13.5), this behavior was enabled for the spacebar shortcut and caused confusion among some users.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Why won't the CTI freeze when I try to stop preview?
                            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

actionfigure00 wrote:

Woo hoo! The new update addresses the issue.

I'm more excited about this part of the new update than I should be.