8 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2006 8:07 AM by _postdBy(Vern);

Setting up my local machine as a server

_postdBy(Vern);
      I use a Dell Workstation with multiple HDDs. My C: drive and my work files are both SCSI drives. I have installed WMAP on my C: drive but can't understand what I need to do to get my files to preview in my web browser. The files are located on my second SCSI, designated as the F: drive. http://localhost shows a WAMP splash page that tells me the server is correctly setup.

I am not very experienced at ALL with this stuff. I am trying to switch over to DW from Homesite so I can do more locally before uploading, but I need to test the PHP files before uploading. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

Using WinXP Pro, DWMX. Dual Xeon Processors, and 1Gig RAM. The WAMP package included Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc. and it all seems to be working properly. I can access MyPHPAdmin and use it.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Setting up my local machine as a server
          Level 7
          On Sun, 14 May 2006 05:10:11 +0000 (UTC), "_postdBy(Vern);"
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>I use a Dell Workstation with multiple HDDs. My C: drive and my work files are
          >both SCSI drives. I have installed WMAP on my C: drive but can't understand
          >what I need to do to get my files to preview in my web browser. The files are
          >located on my second SCSI, designated as the F: drive. http://localhost shows
          >a WAMP splash page that tells me the server is correctly setup.

You have two choices:

1. Move your site files and change your site definition to point to your
          C: drive to the folder your Apache installation is using for its root.

2. Change the Apache configuration to point to your F: drive where your
          site is located.

Gary
          • 2. Re: Setting up my local machine as a server
            _postdBy(Vern); Level 1
            Cool! So there is a way to make it work. I know this is a DW forum, so if this is the wrong place to ask, please forgive me. Do you know to change the Apache config? Would a re-install on this HDD be the answer?

Thanks for your time!
            • 3. Re: Setting up my local machine as a server
              _postdBy(Vern); Level 1
              I guess I have made a mess of this by now. I couldn't figure out eactly what it means to "point Apache to the f: drive" athough I tried. So I uninstalled WAMP. All the components, PHP, Apache, MySQL. I then reinstalled it, only chose the F: drive and the installation folder. It won't install MySQL because it says it seems to be installed already. OK, guess I can live with that. Repeated attempts yielded no results at all. So I downloaded another "package", XAMPP and installed THAT to my F: drive. It's working, but still no MySQL - same reason.

And I am right back where I started, except now I don't have MySQL installed. I guess I just don't understand what this all is trying to tell me.

I have all my site downloaded to the F: drive from the remote servers where they are hosted. So I open a site in DW and go to the "testing server" dialog. I keep reading the "help" files, but I don't understand what it wants me to do? Just exactly WHAT am I supposed to put in the box next to "Testing Server Folder" and what am I supposed to put in the box next to "URL Prefix" ? I am not a programer. I dont understand what I am supposed to do here.

Any help would really be appreciated!
              Thanks!
              • 4. Re: Setting up my local machine as a server
                Level 7
                On Sun, 14 May 2006 23:53:29 +0000 (UTC), "_postdBy(Vern);"

>I guess I have made a mess of this by now. I couldn't figure out eactly what
                >it means to "point Apache to the f: drive" athough I tried. So I uninstalled
                >WAMP. All the components, PHP, Apache, MySQL. I then reinstalled it, only
                >chose the F: drive and the installation folder. It won't install MySQL
                >because it says it seems to be installed already. OK, guess I can live with
                >that. Repeated attempts yielded no results at all. So I downloaded another
                >"package", XAMPP and installed THAT to my F: drive. It's working, but still no
                >MySQL - same reason.

Pointing Apache at the F: drive was a simple edit of the httpd.conf
                file. All you need to do is find the line that begins with DocumentRoot,
                followed by the path to where your documents are supposed to be stored.
                It will look something like this:

DocumentRoot "C:\Some\Path\to the\documents"

Copy the path that is shown in that line to your clipboard, then change
                that path to show the location of your site files:

DocumentRoot "F:\The path\to\your\local\site"

Then, search the rest of the file for the old path that you copied to
                the clipboard and replace any found with the new path. There may not be
                any other instances of it unless your installation loads and configures
                other external modules.

Once done, save the file and re-start Apache.

I don't really know what you've messed up with your MySQL installation.

Gary
                • 5. Re: Setting up my local machine as a server
                  _postdBy(Vern); Level 1
                  Thanks Gary. Looks like I jumped the gun trying to solve this. I suspect there is still some registry file leftovers that make the installer think that MySQL is already installed, when it is not. But one step at a time I guess.

So now that my Apache and PHP are installed on the F: drive, do I still need to do that proceedure? And either way, what is it that I need to put into those two boxes in DW?

Thanks so much for taking your time to help me.

--Vern
                  • 6. Re: Setting up my local machine as a server
                    Level 7
                    On Mon, 15 May 2006 21:51:07 +0000 (UTC), "_postdBy(Vern);"

> So now that my Apache and PHP are installed on the F: drive, do I still need
                    >to do that proceedure? And either way, what is it that I need to put into
                    >those two boxes in DW?

Yes. As it is, Apache is configured to use some specific directory for
                    its documents. This is most likely NOT the same as where you have your
                    site files stored. You still need to either put your site files in the
                    "htdocs" directory being used by Apache, or you need to modify the
                    Apache configuration, as described, to tell Apache to use the directory
                    where you have your site files stored.

> Thanks so much for taking your time to help me.

You're welcome.

Gary
                    • 7. Re: Setting up my local machine as a server
                      _postdBy(Vern); Level 1
                      As I am doing this proceedure, redirecting the DocumentRoot statement, it occurs to me that I have at any given time, 12-15 web projects going at the same time. So on the outside, this would seem to be something I have to do each time I want to edit a different site. Obvioiusly THAT can't be true, so is this where what I fill in those two boxes I asked about in Dreamweaver comes in?
                      • 8. Re: Setting up my local machine as a server
                        _postdBy(Vern); Level 1
                        Well, I may be getting closer - not too sure. I have set the paths as per your instruction - the DocumentRoot statements in the httpd.conf file. I have been playing with those paths in the two boxes in DW. And now I actually get the same thing I get when I double click on a PHP file from my Windows Explorer and try to open it. You know, if you double click an HTML doc, it opens that file in a browsser window. So now, instead of displaying the file, it asked what I want to do with it, and open the file in DW is on of the options. But nothing about displaying the file in a browser. This would appear to be a simple file association issue, but I have set it repeatedly, and rechecked and checked some more. It is beginning to look like a Windows issue to me. Any ideas?